100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    Yeah Dan, we'll have to get together for a round with Geoff sometime. Hey man, you started the debate. What's a good debate without a Devil's advocate like myself...
    I'd insert a smilie here but I don't know how so you'll have to imagine one.
    Hehehe... Just click on the damn smilie in the grid shown to the right of the thread area (unless you're using quick reply).

Devil's Advocate is more often than not the position I take. I would never take away someone's right to post their opinion... I just figured you sounded like you were really resentful of the whole thread (and no, I didn't start it), so figured you may want to be aware of your option to avoid it....

Cheers,
    Dan
    PS - I'm always up for a game of golf with ya bud. Been fun both times so far!
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    http://www.momentummedia.com/article...04/getgame.htm
    "A soccer player will “run” in excess of six miles during a normal game. A basketball player will “run” up to two and one half miles in the course of a game." In the case of point guard, especially Steve Nash, he's likely sprint during those distance....

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    How is tennis a miniature version of ping-pong? Never been to a live tennis match that I wasn't playing in, but on TV it looks much bigger than ping-pong (table-tennis once you're good enough, ask Petra Cada, our recent Olympian and fellow Czech )...

Dan
    O.K I totally screwed up my words there, and the crappy thing about it was it was supposed to a joke. Flip it the other way around, what I meant was tennis is just a blown up version of ping pong...lol

Barnie
    Football I kind of agree with you on, but I've played too much of it not to realize how much athleticism it requires.

Dan
    So you just haven't played enough of the other ones to realize that they take talent and effort? I'll agree with you I hate baseball and basketball.. Their boring as hell but come on.. they are sports lol Actually playing a full court game of basketball is tiring as hell. As for the lack of talent on dunking, sure it does get a bit stupid with shaq standing under then net and dropping the ball in but the majority can drain from outside as well. I think anything you have to be in mental/physical shape in to play is a sport..

Ah... Sarcasm...

Just put a bunch of hockey players and football players in a room with a bunch of baseball players, basketball players and golfers, and see who walks out alive. The athleticism of a hockey player is only matched by soccer players (as far as major team sports go).

Football I kind of agree with you on, but I've played too much of it not to realize how much athleticism it requires.

Dan
    Sure you might have played these sports but you haven't played them proffesionally. Theres' a reason why only a small percent make it into the big leagues with whichever sport you are playing. And there's a BIG difference in playing these sports recreationally and even competitevely and playing them at a proffesionnal level. If you played football proffesionally you would see that O.K yes these guys are athletes, same with basketball, tennis, hockey or baseball. I'm not trying to put you down, but the pro's would crush you out there and then you would realize that they are athletes and that what they do is play sports.

look, I don't find it offensive that you say a pro would destroy me in their respective discipline... I am not arguing the fact that some people who play baseball are also athletes. Ditto for basketball.

I am talking about the games themselves.

Basically this is a sematics argument, and clearly I'm taking up the unpopular side of it (which I've been known to do on occasion in here)... One thing is for sure: This thread has generated some very intelligent counter-points against my stance. Doesn't change my stance, but it's interesting to hear what other people think about the matter...

Cheers,
    dan

look, I don't find it offensive that you say a pro would destroy me in their respective discipline... I am not arguing the fact that some people who play baseball are also athletes. Ditto for basketball.

I am talking about the games themselves.

Basically this is a sematics argument, and clearly I'm taking up the unpopular side of it (which I've been known to do on occasion in here)... One thing is for sure: This thread has generated some very intelligent counter-points against my stance. Doesn't change my stance, but it's interesting to hear what other people think about the matter...

Cheers,
    dan
    True enough, this post has grown really quick, and your opinion is your opinion, but baseball and basketball are still sports...lol

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Knew it would cause good conversation...but interestingly no one ever tired to defend golf as a sport...maybe everyone is too concerned with convincing Dan that baseball and basketball are sports to even bother.

...the old saying in Thailand (I came from the same region as Tiger's Mom) If it moves and you can bet on it, it's a sport

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Eldred, that's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldred
    ...the old saying in Thailand (I came from the same region as Tiger's Mom) If it moves and you can bet on it, it's a sport
    I'm not arguing this point anymore, since I basically only half-believe everything I've said to this point... This seems like the "between the lines" definition from the dictionary definition.

Notably out of the sports category:
    Anything to do with figure skating.

Dan

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Hey I was missing 7 lbs. when I got home from our Major at Eagle Creek, even after copious beverages!
    Actually I was still down that same amount the next morning.

That makes GOLF a SPORT!!!!

Spoken by a ture jock

Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    Spoken by a ture jock
    A ture jock huh? That's a jock who doesn't play a sport?

I often defend golf as a sport, but mainly I call it a "sport for the brain". The athletic side of it (at the pro level) is almost unapparent, since caddies do most of the real work while the golfer strolls around and occasionally makes a swing (as a pro, you get less and less of a workout it seems, since you take less strokes!).

But again, to each their own, and I suppose it really doesn't matter in the final analysis.

Cheers,
    Dan

PS - Cya on Sunday faldo!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Eldred, that's perfect.
    I was hoping it may cleared any confusion for Broken27.
    ...and knowing he's not a great fan to a certain #1 golfer, it could tick him off more once he's figured out my username...

Hints: (for those who cares)
    Clark Kent + Cape = Superman

I'm not arguing this point anymore, since I basically only half-believe everything I've said to this point... This seems like the "between the lines" definition from the dictionary definition.

Notably out of the sports category:
    Anything to do with figure skating.

Dan
    I'm not sure the people from Bangkok figured out how to bet on this sport yet, especially you could no longer bribe the judges

I was hoping it may cleared any confusion for Broken27.
    ...and knowing he's not a great fan to a certain #1 golfer, it could tick him off more once he's figured out my username...

My avatar isn't a retarded guy, he's just smoking the leaf.... LOL....

I don't get mad or ticked off at what other people like, so long as it doesn't directly interfere with what I like. No worries there bud...

Dan

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

..and knowing he's not a great fan to a certain #1 golfer, it could tick him off more once he's figured out my username...

Too bad the #1 golfer's name is Eldrich Woods. That's gonna make figuring it out a bit tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Too bad the #1 golfer's name is Eldrich Woods. That's gonna make figuring it out a bit tougher.
    You're kidding me right? First off it's Eldrick..

Eldrick + Red = Sunday Tiger (hence Eldred)

I know, a bit lame, but I think the other Dan got it

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Holy Crap!!! Tiger Woods reads the Ottawa Golf Forum!! Wonder if he's picked up any swing tips or will adjust his attitude because of the stuff he's read here...

Quote Originally Posted by g8r
    Holy Crap!!! Tiger Woods reads the Ottawa Golf Forum!! Wonder if he's picked up any swing tips or will adjust his attitude because of the stuff he's read here...
    Yeah, and I have had it with that Dan fella comments about me being spoiled brat... Feel like having 27 of his limbs broken
    Then I realized he plays every sports, so I'll back out from that one.

I own several woods but never said that's my last name!
    The only resemblance is I also have a Thai mother and married to a swedish...massage therapist

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Eldred]Yeah, and I have had it with that Dan fella comments about me being spoiled brat... Feel like having 27 of his limbs broken
    Then I realized he plays every sports, so I'll back out from that one.
    QUOTE]

Actually, Dan's not that big. I can take care of him for you if you want in exchange for some nice golf equipment. Offer me a nice backup driver and his typing days are over!

What I lack in size I make up for with my unquenchable enthusiasm for violence. BRING IT ON!!

Dan

Actually, Dan's not that big. I can take care of him for you if you want in exchange for some nice golf equipment. Offer me a nice backup driver and his typing days are over!
    Howabout a mint condition Nike Black instead? Let me know how it went

You hockey guys are all alike

What I lack in size I make up for with my unquenchable enthusiasm for violence. BRING IT ON!!

Dan

It's a fight you guys could never win... You both clearly have more expensive golf equipment than me, so I would have less worry about wrapping a club around someone's face.... My cheap stuff is pretty much expendable....

Dan

Actually I was just going to land my MX bike on you...

Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    Actually I was just going to land my MX bike on you...
    Was still writing when you posted... Landing an MX bike on me would probably hurt...

Dan

Barnie
    anyway back to the point.. Baseball and basketball are a sport.

Last edited by Barnie; 07-04-2005 at 06:28 AM.

Thread Information