100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar

unplayable lie in trap

Hello, I'm new to this forum but I thought this would be a good story. Today while playing in a competative round I hit a thin 5 wood shot to a 209 yard par 3, It stuck under the lip of the front sand trap and burrowed into the sand about 2 inches. While my playing partner was trying to figure out how he was going to spend my money I casually took an unplayable lie and dropped outside of the trap and proceeded to chip the ball into the hole. My question is If I take an unplayable lie from the trap do I have to drop in the trap. Cause if I do I will have to give back someones money but even so it would have been worth it just to see him have a fit after that drop and chip in for par. (he 3 putted for bogey,He, He) Thanks!! Anybody else ever do this?

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    You had to drop in the trap:

Rule 28. Ball Unplayable
    Definitions
    All defined terms are in italics and are listed alphabetically in the Definitions section
    The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable.
    If the player deems his ball to be unplayable, he must, under penalty of one stroke:
    a. Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or
    b. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or
    c. Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.
    If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in the bunker.
    The ball may be lifted and cleaned when proceeding under this Rule.
    Penalty for Breach of Rule:
    Match play — Loss of hole; Stroke play — Two strokes.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    If I am reading this right, if you choose a) would you have to go back to the tee? It only says b) or c) for dropping in the bunker.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Yes he has the option of replaying the shot that landed him in the bunker. Penalty is stroke and distance.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    I thought a trap was under the sink.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Thanks for everyones help, I returned some money and now know that I have to drop in the trap (dropped from shoulder height of course) and the idea of taking an unplayable lie instead of hacking out of the ledge still seems like the way to go even if you only have a 50/50 chance of getting a bogey hitting from the bunker.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213
    now know that I have to drop in the trap
    You don't have to drop in the bunker.

You may, under penalty of one stroke, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played.

Thread Information