CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Iron TheBananaSlice is on a distinguished road

Jean Van De Velde Does it Again!!!

Did anyone else see the French Open on the Golf Channel this weekend? Jean Van De Velde played himself into contention on Sunday. From what I saw he was playing well, just couldn't really get the putting going. I was rooting for the guy. I really was. I mean it must be tough to live the with the moniker "the biggest single hole choker in the history of golf." As the announcers on the Golf channel were saying, the French Open is probably like another major to Jean, thus offering him a chance at redemption.

He played himself into a playoff, where the moniker once again proved true. He hit his approach in the water. Droped. Hit his next shot into a greenside bunker. Hit out and two putted for yet another crowd pleasing 7, when a 6 would have been good enough to continue the the playoff.

I feel bad for the guy, but couldn't help laughing my butt off. Some people say that if their life depended on a shot, they would want Tiger to hit it. If Tiger wasn't available and these fictious murderers offered me Jean Van De Velde instead, I think I would ask to just hit to the shot myself.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Jean Van De Melt.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Jean Van De Melt.
    To replace "Cheese Royale" at MacDonald's in Paris

I remember watching while he butchered the last hole of The Open (Carnousie?). I could not believe what I was watching. What a bloodbath. Abysmal course management. What was he thinking?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    1 inch would have made a difference when he hit that 2 iron shot. He got a bad break.Could have been a hero but turned out to be a zero that day. Still made a great putt to force a playoff after butchering the hole.

His caddy should have given him an iron on the tee and smacked him if he wouldn't take it. As I recall he only needed a bogey to win. But oh no, he had to take stupid risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    His caddy should have given him an iron on the tee and smacked him if he wouldn't take it. As I recall he only needed a bogey to win. But oh no, he had to take stupid risks.
    Didn't they have replay the hole after the tournament?

They made a country music video (with Jean's blessing)
    "and he put it in the water..."

He also did a bit for the golf channel (or UK station) where he played the hole with a putter to see if he could beat the 9 he took. It took him several tries but he make a 9 eventually.

8 Iron Pops is on a distinguished road Pops's Avatar
    I saw that, it was done late in the year at Carnnasty...bitter cold. It was produced by Never compromise putters and used as an infomercial.
    "The golf swing is like sex. You can't be thinking about the mechanics of the act while you are performing." Dave Hill

"Richard"
    what happened at the open? Some paint me a picture

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    This debacle really needs to be seen to be believed. Worst meltdown ever.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/gol...on_the_course/

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    That cracks me up.... Sounds just like Tin Cup, or something I would do....

Feel kinda bad for the guy, but if he's now done it twice, not so bad....

dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Come on you guys. Who would have remembered Jean Van de Who had he won THE Open? His close family, that's who. Because of his historic debacle, he's a celebrity. Admittedly he's remembered for the enormity of his failure, but he is remembered. Heck, I can't recall who won the darn thing and I sure can't tell you who won the year before. Jean is doing very well, thank you very much. You have to love the guy. He's funny, he's classy, he's a good sport and he loves good wine. What's not to like.

He's got an inactive web site.
    http://www.jeanvandevelde.com/
    Are they waiting for a big victory?

So far this year he has earned $493,924 which is almost of what he's earned in his entire career. In his last tournament he equalled the 64 course record.

http://www.europeantour.com/Tourname...038&id=1131835

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    Come on you guys. Who would have remembered Jean Van de Who had he won THE Open? His close family, that's who. Because of his historic debacle, he's a celebrity. Admittedly he's remembered for the enormity of his failure, but he is remembered. Heck, I can't recall who won the darn thing and I sure can't tell you who won the year before. Jean is doing very well, thank you very much. You have to love the guy. He's funny, he's classy, he's a good sport and he loves good wine. What's not to like.
    The only problem with that is that he's never going to be remembered for anything else than that - I mean come on, I would prefer falling into the abyss than being remembered for losing a major in a playoff after having a 3-stroke lead going to the final hole!!!

And FYI, Paul Lawrie won it. And yes, it was at Carnoustie.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongBallHitter
    The only problem with that is that he's never going to be remembered for anything else than that - I mean come on, I would prefer falling into the abyss than being remembered for losing a major in a playoff after having a 3-stroke lead going to the final hole!!!

And FYI, Paul Lawrie won it. And yes, it was at Carnoustie.
    I see your point, but I'm not prepared to say that he'll only be remembered for his Bristish Open notoriety. The man can still play and I hope that he nails a few victories before he's finished. But even if he doesn't, what matters most is how he feels about himself. There's little doubt that this event has not defined his own sense of self. Go get 'em Jean.

Out of Bounds buckylasek is on a distinguished road buckylasek's Avatar
    I met him a couple of months ago, and now he laughs about this moment, maybe his loss made him more famous that if he had won. Money against fame, i think we can't compare what happened to him at the Open de France, if only you could play the golf national, you would understand what i'm talking about. Plays 20 strokes over your handicap.

Thread Information