CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Tour Tempo"

3 Iron kewarken is on a distinguished road

"Tour Tempo"

I just bought this book "Tour Tempo" by John Novosel which is pretty interesting. I know people have spoken of it here before.

Here's the funny story. I read in the book that most people found the timing of the swings very fast and it took some time to get used to. Being a clever fellow, I figured that if most people are swinging slowly, I must also be swinging slowly. So, instead of listening to the cd and practicing the timing at the range and so on, I just went and played a game and tried to speed up my backswing quite a bit. I had varying success but I wouldn't say I was a miracle of consistency by any stretch. Along with quite a few good swings, I also had at least two off the toe shanks that went about 75* off the mark.

Anyway, just now I decided to listen to the cd and just do some pretend swings here in my computer room. Apparently I'm an excessively speedy bugger because the only one that even sounded remotely like something I could do was the fastest track on the cd. I'm just trying to imagine what sort of flailing windmill I must have looked like out there but it's embarrassing to think about. While I may need to improve my tempo in terms of backswing/foreswing ratio, I'm thinking that my speed is just fine and I hereby promise not to make any more swing changes this summer. This is getting out of hand. If I fix my swing any more, I won't be able to play at all. I don't know where this compulsion to monkey around every time I start to play well again comes from but it's very annoying.

cheers,

Kris

Sand Wedge SwingGuru is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by kewarken
    I just bought this book "Tour Tempo" by John Novosel which is pretty interesting. I know people have spoken of it here before.

Here's the funny story. I read in the book that most people found the timing of the swings very fast and it took some time to get used to. Being a clever fellow, I figured that if most people are swinging slowly, I must also be swinging slowly. So, instead of listening to the cd and practicing the timing at the range and so on, I just went and played a game and tried to speed up my backswing quite a bit. I had varying success but I wouldn't say I was a miracle of consistency by any stretch. Along with quite a few good swings, I also had at least two off the toe shanks that went about 75* off the mark.

Anyway, just now I decided to listen to the cd and just do some pretend swings here in my computer room. Apparently I'm an excessively speedy bugger because the only one that even sounded remotely like something I could do was the fastest track on the cd. I'm just trying to imagine what sort of flailing windmill I must have looked like out there but it's embarrassing to think about. While I may need to improve my tempo in terms of backswing/foreswing ratio, I'm thinking that my speed is just fine and I hereby promise not to make any more swing changes this summer. This is getting out of hand. If I fix my swing any more, I won't be able to play at all. I don't know where this compulsion to monkey around every time I start to play well again comes from but it's very annoying.

cheers,

Kris

Start of backswing to impact is ever so slightly less than a second for every club in the bag. We digitized over 100 of the best on the Tour to compile these results. Work on a cadence to help you with the tempo, something like:

1 and 2 (2 is impact)
    or
    1 a and a 2 (2 is impact)

If the cadence cd doesn't match the statistics I laid out for you, use it as a frisbee because it is worthless
    [url="http://www.swingsensations.com"]http://www.swingsensations.com[/url]

Get your game online....

Thread Information