CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar

Smith's Falls Conditions?

I am playing there tomorrow morning, any insight into the current conditions?
    Thanks...

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Thanks guys--appreciate it
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Thanks guys--appreciate it
    Hi Big Mac, I don't get it?
    Are you replying to my post?

Anyway, when I come back from the course later today I will provide some course condition notes for everyone.

As promised, here is a short review of Smith's Falls conditions and course.
    I played there for the first time ever today. I found the course to provide pastural rolling terrain, with some nice changes in elevation, and, with a few flat holes on the front and back nine as well. In general it challenged my game in terms of accuracy off the tees. It could be said that it was forgiving enough if you have a command of your distances and lines.
    The conditions around the greens were good, with the rough cut high and even, though there were a few patchy fringes where the grass around the greens wasn't growing... The greens appeared quicker at first, especially since the practice green had good speed. Fairways were a little dry and spotty in areas where there were some patches with dried out grass. Sandy soil below allowed the irons on the fairways to get through without too much difficulty. You could hear drives hit the ground with a thud on some holes, particularly the front nine. It is quite picturesque at times, and there are cross-over holes where one can see many holes and tee boxes at once.. some may not like this but it did entertain.
    It is well worth the drive from Ottawa especially so given that this long weekend the green fee with power cart was only $40. Even without the discount in the cost of the green fee, I would return again.
    One of the few shortcomings would have to be the driving range, not that it wasn't serviceable, for it did have good grass to hit off, but the range is for iron use only since it doesn't allow for any woods nor drivers, and again, not that such a shortcoming would influence me not to return. Otherwise, I would recommend the course.
    Last edited by MarcArt; 08-06-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    Very good review MarcArt. Thanks for your feedback ...

You're welcome TLB, your thanks makes me want to write more, so here goes. If I were to compare the course to others in the region, these would provide a good assemblage of similarities...
    For the maturity of the trees lining the fairways on the front nine, and in terms of its overall picturesqueness, especially given the meandering stream cutting through the course, it has many of the characteristics of Mississippi, Casselview, Mountain Creek and Emerald Links. Oddly enough, mid-way on the back nine there is a hole or two, holes #14 and #15, that are quite low in the landscape and lined with tall reeded marshes I felt like I was at Falcon Ridge. Several holes, like hole #7, # 9 and #17 have hills that reminded me of Metcalfe and again, Mississippi, #9 and #17 go in the same direction and flank one another. There was one hole that reminded me of some of the original Rockland course, #11; and #12 had the appearance of a couple of holes on Greensmere's Legacy course, #3 and #12 (#12 without the raised green of course). One hole, #4, has some of the appearance of #5 at Eagle Creek. Certainly these are quite general comparisons, but you can tell from them there is a worthwhile amalgam in the variances and characteristics of holes at Smith's Falls, again, a course that should be played if you haven't already.

I don't know how you had the time and the memory to make such interesting comparisons. I spend most of my time in-between shots looking for my ball

Smith Falls is, IMHO, a very typical, lovely, Old Ontario (60 years) golf course which is so enjoyable to play.

TLB, thank you again... I sure love the game, and I thought it would be good for others who have played it and the courses I mentioned to think of comparisons.
    I also enjoy contributing to this Forum so others can benefit from some of the perspectives I have to offer.
    If you ever want to play Hylands, and haven't already, or even if you have, give me a shout and we'll get out.

Thanks for the offer. I was a member at Hylands for 12 years.

I forgot one very important thing, and it is not complimentary...
    In one bunker there were a lot of granular A size stones, equivalent in some cases to the diameter of a nickel. This was disturbing for several reasons, it wasn't little enough to call it random stones either, and more than enough to know that even if you moved one from around your ball, there may well be another unseen below the surface. The reasons this would disturb any golfer was of course the potential for damaging clubs, another obvious reason would be the safety concern, you might strike the ball and carry a stone with it out of the bunker and launch it towards someone.
    This was observed when I entered the bunker on the left of the green on hole number 4. I really should have mentioned this before but forgot... as unfortunate as it was to experience it, this could be remedied, and I would still go back, and take the chance in removing the stones if need be.
    Last edited by MarcArt; 08-12-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Marc---no idea where that post came from BTW---you are not the only one to talk about the gravel. I enquired about it last year and was told it was local sand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe for the Jolly Green Giant
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    That is why when Brooke Henderson in town she goes to Lombard Glen to use there driving range

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Senior moment, removed thread.
    Last edited by Marcos; 10-07-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Thread Information