CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Rodney is on a distinguished road

Red face Suggestion for those who can't hit standard irons

I've been golfing since the late 90s. Decent club head speed. Became pleased with my game over the years putting, wedges, driver, and hybrids, but irons were a disaster even if swung with high end Titlist irons that I might rent on a golf holiday. I just got fed up and left all my irons out of my bag except a 7 for bump and run, and thought to myself, if only irons were made with a higher MOI like hybrids, maybe I could hit them.

Back in 2015 I found online a brand made in the US that had done that as I couldn't find anything in Golf Town in Ottawa at the time. The brand is PineMeadow and the irons are called Pre Progressive hybrids. This year in Golf Town I see Cleveland (close to a knockoff of PineMeadow) and Titlist also making a close approximation. The nice thing about Pinemeadow is the price and customization as you are ordering from their factory. The not so nice thing is they don't make this set of irons for lefties. You would be forced to go to Cleveland or Titlist and I'm assuming here they make their hybrid irons for lefties.

Anyhow I'm just sharing my joy of finding the transformation that hybrid irons have given to my game regardless of brand. If you have questions you can contact me or read my reviews on their website (think I did two for this product line).

Q1 - Anyone else that couldn't hit irons solve it with hybrid irons and if so what brand and model did you use?

Q2 - Anyone else discover PineMeadow Pre Progressive hybrid irons and what was your experience?

I marvel at people that can hit regular irons, so clearly I have some defects in my swing. But now I can compete with those same individuals and have confidence in all my irons. Hope this post helps someone else that finds regular irons frustrating and is why I've taken the time to do this post, plus I'm curious to see the responses if others found something similar happened to their game with hybrid irons.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I have a buddy who cant hit irons and has a few sets of hybrid irons. Not sure what make but they are a knockoff of some sort. He hits them very well and is confident. I tried his 7 iron hybrid and they are really easy to hit. The down side for me is that they dont provide much feel and i rely a lot on that just for pleasure. To each his own and glad to see you are enjoying the hybrid set.

Putter Rodney is on a distinguished road
    Thanks Marcos - I believe you are correct that there would be less feel than regular irons. I'm guessing a pro wouldn't pick what I use. But I can tell you the feeling I get from hitting them straight and far is a good feel for me. And my one and only eagle on a par 4 from 180 yards out of the rough with my 4 iron 2 years ago gave a good feel too LOL Joking aside, I think for a scratch golfer, they would stick with traditional irons because likely they would have a few more techniques they could employ with those.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Thanks Marcos - I believe you are correct that there would be less feel than regular irons. I'm guessing a pro wouldn't pick what I use. But I can tell you the feeling I get from hitting them straight and far is a good feel for me. And my one and only eagle on a par 4 from 180 yards out of the rough with my 4 iron 2 years ago gave a good feel too LOL Joking aside, I think for a scratch golfer, they would stick with traditional irons because likely they would have a few more techniques they could employ with those.
    Agree but its all about hitting the ball square and if this does it for you then, they are the right clubs. I always enjoyed forged blades myself for a long time and had no problem hitting them but i got a set of Titleist AP1 in spring and never looked back. Much easier to hit and forgiving.

Driver Muddler is on a distinguished road
    I used to have a set of Cleveland HiBore XLI hybrid irons. They were fantastic. Felt great too. My friend played Titleist 695 CBs and said the Hibores felt “great.”

Cleveland has re-issued them repeatedly as the HB3s, 588 Altitudes, and now the launcher HBs. There is no easier to hit set of irons on earth.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    I recently took a trade in on a new set of irons, Adams Idea 2014 3 to SW, LH. These clubs are definitely not for the golfer with reasonably good basic swing mechanics that can be developed. They are designed for the player with a chronic over the top, steep angle of attack swing who is quite happy with their results.

There is not a big market for this design but there are certainly golfers who can benefit from them.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Irons were my weakest part of the game...I picked up a used set of Cleveland hibore XLi hybrid irons and love them. Super easy to hit.

Driver Muddler is on a distinguished road
    Someone is selling a set of HiBore XLI’s on Kijiji right now.

Thread Information