CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter bijou is on a distinguished road

Tips for a newbie in the area

Evening all! Moved to Ottawa from the UK in May and have only just received my golf clubs from the shippers. I'm now itching to play after 4 months without a game. This is after playing most weekends for the last 6 or 7 years!

I know it's all relative, but I find the cost of a round here to be quite expensive in comparison to the UK. Does anyone have any tips on finding the best prices (other than Golfnow?).

Also, I'm not currently working so have the time to play - any ideas on meeting others to play golf? I'm in my late 30s and live in the south side of the city so would hope to play the courses in this direction if anyone else is at a loose end and looking for a bit of competition.

Happy golfing!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Stay on this site. Use the arrange a game thread. Join Golf Select or Executive Golf. We have peak--off peak and twilight. Not sure what you consider expensive--40.00 round here is equal to 25 pounds in UK. South of the city Metcalfe--Cloverdale-Falcon Ridge-Nationview---Midrange. Equinelle-Stonebridge a cut above. Check Ottawa local in the threads. We have way too many courses within an hours drive That is a good thing
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Evening all! Moved to Ottawa from the UK in May and have only just received my golf clubs from the shippers. I'm now itching to play after 4 months without a game. This is after playing most weekends for the last 6 or 7 years!

I know it's all relative, but I find the cost of a round here to be quite expensive in comparison to the UK. Does anyone have any tips on finding the best prices (other than Golfnow?).

Also, I'm not currently working so have the time to play - any ideas on meeting others to play golf? I'm in my late 30s and live in the south side of the city so would hope to play the courses in this direction if anyone else is at a loose end and looking for a bit of competition.

Happy golfing!
    Expensive? These are some of the cheapest prices in Canada. I've seen courses on golf now practically giving away spots. Great thing about this region is there is a price point for everyone

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I second the advice to check out Golf Select or Executive Golf. Not only will you save money on your rounds but it is a good way to check out a variety of courses in the area.

Most courses have a men's league, which is a good way to meet other golfers. It might be a little late to join one now, but it is worth checking out. Public 18-hole courses that are actually within the city limits include Pineview, The Meadows, Metcalfe, Falcon Ridge, Anderson Links, Emerald Links, Stonebridge, Cedarhill, Loch March and The Marshes.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Another thing would be location realative to pricing , if you dont mind a 45min -1 hr drive , weekend rates are more reasonable outside of the city , twilight rates are also good after 4/5pm at most courses , welcome aboard , enjoy the season !
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Thanks very much for all the responses. I'll check out the various options. I realise that golf here is probably cheaper than in many other places in Canada, but I did say it's all relative! In the UK I had the fortune to be on a corporate golf membership that allowed me to play 3 different courses for around $300 for the year And that was playing year-round (no crippling winters!). I am acutely aware that I'm not going to find that here so am just trying to temper the shock to the system a bit by finding the best value possible! Again, thanks for all the tips.

Just wondering if anyone can advise whether the Slammer Tour is worth trying out to meet new people? Would anyone recommend it as being good fun? Do they charge much more than the course does for a round? I'm hoping it might be worth paying the extra to try and meet some other golfers then go for the cheaper prices by other methods once I have some golf buddies.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Thanks very much for all the responses. I'll check out the various options. I realise that golf here is probably cheaper than in many other places in Canada, but I did say it's all relative! In the UK I had the fortune to be on a corporate golf membership that allowed me to play 3 different courses for around $300 for the year And that was playing year-round (no crippling winters!). I am acutely aware that I'm not going to find that here so am just trying to temper the shock to the system a bit by finding the best value possible! Again, thanks for all the tips.

Just wondering if anyone can advise whether the Slammer Tour is worth trying out to meet new people? Would anyone recommend it as being good fun? Do they charge much more than the course does for a round? I'm hoping it might be worth paying the extra to try and meet some other golfers then go for the cheaper prices by other methods once I have some golf buddies.
    If you have the time , most people I've met from the slammer tour are great , you'll have a lot of fun
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I also agree with Wilster, the Slammer Tour is a lot of fun.Call Executive Golf or Corporate Golf Select for deals on half year memberships.

9 Iron jjw99 is on a distinguished road jjw99's Avatar
    bearbrook in navan is $25 after 2pm is $20
    and thats 7 days a week

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    [QUOTE=jjw99;555301]bearbrook in navan is $25 after 2pm is $20

I had forgotten about Bearbrook. Listen, its not the top course in the area but it's a fun course to play and for 20/25.00 it can't be beat.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thanks all, have signed up for the slammer tour and the first tournament is free, so will give that a go, and for $20 you really can't argue with the price at Bearbrook so will give that a try. Cheers for all the responses.

Putter Hugoab is on a distinguished road
    Played today Cedarhill for $25 ( 18holes tax incl) and loved the golf course, great shape and challenging enough. Teed off at 7am by 10am was already heading home so nice pace... bijou i am also at the south end, would be great to find a group to play as well... Cheers!

Thanks for the response Hugo. I tried sending you a message the other day, but it must not have gone through. Where did you get that price for such an early round at Cedar Hill? I'm struggling to find good prices for early rounds! Do you play during the week at all? I'm free most days if ever you fancy a hit!

Hi bijou, teeoff is where I found that, first time I used it last week... Actually not having much time as we got our first daughter 4 months ago so pretty busy but it would be great to play with somebody... Look at the link below, today 9amish $20 cedar Hill! Cheers Hugo https://www.teeoff.com/search?cid=pp...date=8-16-2018

Btw cannot play weekdays have to work weekends is better for me

Thread Information