CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Driver Muddler is on a distinguished road

It never rains, but it pours: Course Drainage

As I sit here listening to the rain pound down, I was thinking of my earlybird round this morning at Hylands. Despite a night of rain, the course was in fantastic shape due being built on a giant pile of sand by the airport.

I'm going to head out tomorrow morning again during a break in the weather and expect the course to play fine. But this is not the case with many courses in the region, what with the Canadian Shield and generally swampy terrain. What other courses have excellent drainage?

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
    As I sit here listening to the rain pound down, I was thinking of my earlybird round this morning at Hylands. Despite a night of rain, the course was in fantastic shape due being built on a giant pile of sand by the airport.

I'm going to head out tomorrow morning again during a break in the weather and expect the course to play fine. But this is not the case with many courses in the region, what with the Canadian Shield and generally swampy terrain. What other courses have excellent drainage?
    Hunt Club is excellent

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Hunt Club is excellent
    Yeah, I'd imagine Royal Ottawa is the same. The older, fancier clubs had their pick of good land back in the day. But I'm surprised at how swampy some nicer courses are. Like, eQuinelle is very soft, and they seem to have extensive drainage systems.

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    In my 12 years as a member at Hylands, I can only remember one time when the course was closed due to water; and that was only for about an hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    In my 12 years as a member at Hylands, I can only remember one time when the course was closed due to water; and that was only for about an hour or so.
    Oh yeah totally. I was out in an explosive thunder storm once. Literally a small stream of water running off the greens. We went in to the club house and ate breakfast and an hour later the course was fine. The grass was wet, but the ground was dry.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Yeah, I'd imagine Royal Ottawa is the same. The older, fancier clubs had their pick of good land back in the day. But I'm surprised at how swampy some nicer courses are. Like, eQuinelle is very soft, and they seem to have extensive drainage systems.
    I've been told at Hunt club that the course is built over 200' of sand. Sounds like Hylands is on the same platform. I can't imagine a course drying better.

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    Nation has great drainage

Are some courses going to have to close temporarily due to the volume me of rain this week?

Ace Felix is on a distinguished road Felix's Avatar
    Canadian is closed today due to rain

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    I've been told at Hunt club that the course is built over 200' of sand. Sounds like Hylands is on the same platform. I can't imagine a course drying better.
    Hylands and Hunt are pretty close, so not surprising that they have the same soil base.

Courses that are near / on wetlands like Eagle Creek and Loch March are probably soaked today. Even though we haven't had a lot of rain this summer the ground can only absorb it so fast.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road

Vieux Moulins!
    He who hits last, walks alone

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    Well, both courses are closed...

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I called Hammond---the lady said there are absolutely no golfers here but "the course is open"
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information