100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road

Greatest athlete ever

Who do you guys think is the best athlete ever in any sport??

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Sir Steve Redgrave. A British Olympic rower. He won gold in 5 straight Olympics. An increadible feat considering he was both ashmatic and diabetic. Probably unknown over here, but he is a national hero in the UK for his increadible performances in the Olympics as well as other championships.
    Last edited by Hank Hill; 06-27-2005 at 01:06 PM.

9 Iron scottymac is on a distinguished road scottymac's Avatar
    With Out A Dought In Any Sport

Pre Or Post Cancer

Armstrong Is The Best
    SCOTT

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Steve Yzerman. Complete package of on-ice and off-ice integrity, class and sportsmanship. I have never met anyone as down to earth as him, and very few people as respectful of what they do.

I could also agree to an extent with the others mentioned, but I don't find anything as gruelling as hockey in terms of playing a whole season.

Dan

PS - Honorary mention to Pelée
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Mohammed Ali is right up there for me

Some more info about Steve Redgrave:

Won gold at five consecutive Olympic Games, from Los Angeles in 1984 to the Sydney Olympics in 2000. In addition to his Olympic successes and following four unbeaten seasons from 1993 to 1996, Steve won his ninth World Championship Gold in August 1999 in St Catherines, Canada.

Oh yeah Michael Jordan is up there as well. They win 3 in a row. He retires. They don't win. He comes back. They win 3 more in a row. Conclusion MJ was awesome

Sand Wedge Bones is on a distinguished road
    Hands down, I will have to go with Lance Armstrong. Beats cancer, and now is going for his 7th straight Tour de France.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones
    Hands down, I will have to go with Lance Armstrong. Beats cancer, and now is going for his 7th straight Tour de France.
    He is certainly an amazing human being. The speeds that he can attain whilst climbing the Alps are often faster than you and I could manage on a flat piece of road. Quite increadible.

I'm just curious, but wasn't there a recent wave of allegations concerning Lance Armstrong and steroid use? It wouldn't surprise me, as I presently have a good family friend undergoing very strong chemo treatment who is given some steroids of some sort to help with some of the damage the chemo does...

Not taking anything away from the guy, as I don't think steroids alone can win ANY sporting event. Just curious if there was ever any finality to those accusations...

Cheers,
    DAn

Quote Originally Posted by Bones
    Yeah that's one record that will be hard to break, and as far as steroid use I haven't heard anything but maybe they are legal steroids for people who have suffered from cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    Yeah that's one record that will be hard to break, and as far as steroid use I haven't heard anything but maybe they are legal steroids for people who have suffered from cancer.
    Hell look at all the steroid use in baseball and Barry Bonds in still chasing after Hank Aaron's HR record, without anyone stopping him. Maybe it's just all allegations to paly down the fact that Lance is just an incredible athlete and that what he has done could not have happened without steroids. I don't think he used steroids, he's obviously not a big muscular guy who looks like he's on the juice. Apparently he has a heart like a babboon, it beats slower than a normal human heart therfore he's capable of having more air for a longer period of time.

Steroids aren't all going to make you into an ape of a man... Remember when Silken Laumann (sp?) was tossed from the Olympics because of something in a cold-medicine or anti-allergent?

Like I said, I don't know for sure... But there's no "legal" steroids in any sport I'm aware of, regardless of whether you've had cancer, herpes or the bubonic plague...

Dan

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    For me Michael Jordan.

Lance Armstrong was accused of taking steroid. This was before his battle with cancer.

Gretzky, Ali, Magic, Jesse Owens, etc... all greats.

Just my opinion.

Jean-Guy

Again, just curious... I'm not at all a basketball fan. In fact, I'd rather watch the Women's Network during a Gloria Steinam (sp?) marathon than watch that lame excuse for a game.

BUT - and here's my question...

How does everyone come to the conclusion that Micheal Jordan is the best player ever when Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a single game? Never mind scoring with 10,000+ women (allegedly)!

Dan

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    1 game does not mean a thing. Darryl Sittler holds the record for points in a game (10) but wouldn't be in the top 50. Does that answer your question?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    1 game does not mean a thing. Darryl Sittler holds the record for points in a game (10) but wouldn't be in the top 50. Does that answer your question?
    Kind of, but at the same time, Wilt Chamberlain was not just a one-hit wonder... Personally I ascribe it to memory. MJ happened recently, so even young people know about him...

Cheers,
    Dan

PS - who holds the record for points in a game by brothers in the NHL?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Jim Thorpe.

- Won gold in the decathlon and penthatlon events at the 1912 Olympics.
    - Played major and minor league baseball for 20 years, starting with the New York Giants in 1913, later playing for the Boston Braves and the Cincinnatti Reds, plus several others.
    - Played pro footbal till the age of 41.
    - Member of the NCAA, NFL & Track and Field halls of fame.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    PS - who holds the record for points in a game by brothers in the NHL?
    Feb. 22, 1981 - Peter & Anton Stastny - 16 points total (8 points each), Quebec Nordiques vs. Washington Capitals. Also the record for single game points by a rookie (both of them).
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Again, just curious... I'm not at all a basketball fan. In fact, I'd rather watch the Women's Network during a Gloria Steinam (sp?) marathon than watch that lame excuse for a game.

BUT - and here's my question...

How does everyone come to the conclusion that Micheal Jordan is the best player ever when Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a single game? Never mind scoring with 10,000+ women (allegedly)!

Dan
    Jordan holds the record for most point per game on average in the history of the game, it's something like 31.5. I don't know where Wilt the Stilt is on that list. MJ has won way more MVP's tham Wilt and more championships. Wilt was good but players like Magic, Bird and Dr J were much better and those players say that MJ was the best.

Sand Wedge Bones is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=broken27]Steroids aren't all going to make you into an ape of a man... Remember when Silken Laumann (sp?) was tossed from the Olympics because of something in a cold-medicine or anti-allergent?

Like I said, I don't know for sure... But there's no "legal" steroids in any sport I'm aware of, regardless of whether you've had cancer, herpes or the bubonic plague...

It is sad that everytime someone breaks a world record or does something amazing in their sport they are immediately accused of steroids. There have even been recent accusations against Annika Sorenstam for taking illegal supplements. I am actually surprised questions were not asked of Tiger back in 2000. I think performance enhancing drugs have saturated all sports.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Feb. 22, 1981 - Peter & Anton Stastny - 16 points total (8 points each), Quebec Nordiques vs. Washington Capitals. Also the record for single game points by a rookie (both of them).
    Nice one. I watched that game, and it was awesome... My whole family watched, including my mom who hates hockey. It was the first major Czechoslovak impact we could watch in a long time. Needless to say, we all became instant Nords fans... Too bad they're on the Slovak side of the split now... Class players the Stastnys.

Dan

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Who do you guys think is the best athlete ever in any sport??
    Deoin Sanders and Bo Jackson, played professional baseball and football!!!

Quote Originally Posted by g8r
    Deoin Sanders and Bo Jackson, played professional baseball and football!!!
    Good call! Now that I think of it, yes that is impressive

Good call! Now that I think of it, yes that is impressive
    Only if you consider baseball a sport... Before you chastize me for saying that, two words: David Wells.

Cheers,
    Dan
    PS - Bo was decent, Deion was / is great, but shoulda stayed in the broadcast booth.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    I'll have to say Jesse Owens......

Most of the athletes mentioned so far came from teams with other good players. How can one really know how they would perform without the support that they get (ie. any basketball, hockey, football player)?

Remember, we are talking about the BEST ahlete, not your favourite one.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    I'll have to say Jesse Owens......

Most of the athletes mentioned so far came from teams with other good players. How can one really know how they would perform without the support that they get (ie. any basketball, hockey, football player)?

Remember, we are talking about the BEST ahlete, not your favourite one.....
    You can't rule out someone just because they play a team sport... If we're talking about best athlete, we're not talking about dominating a sport, or stats or whatever, just their athletic ability. I'll take any hockey player over any golfer any day in terms of that... Obviously Jesse Owens is a different ball of wax, but you get my point.

Dan

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    If we're talking about best athlete, we're not talking about dominating a sport, or stats or whatever, just their athletic ability. I'll take any hockey player over any golfer any day in terms of that...
    So, would you pick a figure skater over a hockey player then? I heard that they are athletic, epecially when they do those twirlies and s**t like that....

Oh wait! That's not a sport!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    So, would you pick a figure skater over a hockey player then? I heard that they are athletic, epecially when they do those twirlies and s**t like that....

Oh wait! That's not a sport!!
    They're better athletes than a lot of people, but I wouldn't say that they do a sport, no. Figure skating is an athletic passtime, but as long as they have "artistic impression" marks, it's nothing but a farce.

Dan

Sand Wedge davemiddle is on a distinguished road

jim thorpe

wake up people Jim Thorpe - not even mentioned
    won medals in sweden, considered to be one of the best football players ever
    played professional baseball

Thread Information