100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: grip

Lob Wedge dbweathe is on a distinguished road dbweathe's Avatar

grip

I'm probably bringing up a topic from many posts here, but what grip style does everyone use and which ones are acceptable?

Before ever getting lessons, I used a baseball type grip with all eight fingers on the club. It felt better that way, so I used it.
    I took a lesson from a local Ottawa pro last year and thought the first thing he would suggest changing would be my grip. He stated that the 'no overlap baseball grip' was becoming more accepted and gaining popularity amonst amateur and some pro players. With that advice I didn't change my grip and worked on other things.
    This year, I have a new swing coach that is rebuilding my swing almost from the ground up. He wasn't happy to see that I didn't overlap my grip when holding the club and changed my grip to an overlap style immediately. I've adopted the overlap grip, but have changed so much more of my swing that I couldn't tell you whether grip hasmade a big difference or not. I'm able to rotate the clubhead through impact better, but can't tell if it's the grip, setting the club, path, address or anything else that was rebuilt.
    I'm comfortable with the new grip style only after hitting bucket after bucket of balls, and my swing is much more consistent now than it ever was.
    I'm just wondering if gripping the club with and overlap, interlock or basebal style make that much of a difference if your hands are still square at impact.
    Last edited by dbweathe; 06-27-2005 at 01:44 AM.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Baseball Grip

I have used the "Baseball Grip" for the entire 24 years I have played golf. I have tried the other grips and just found them uncomfortable to play with.
    I can draw the ball, fade the ball with the grip I have. I am going to take a lesson from a CPGA Pro, (my wife and daughters gave it to me for Fathers Day) and he knows what grip I use and he once told me he would not try to change it, just tweak it.
    Dave Barr used that grip for years and I think Bob Estes uses it, and I am sure others do as well.
    Whatever works and is comfortable for you.
    Hard to tell if your grip change or the total rebuilding of your swing has made the difference. But as long as it works go with it!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

6 Iron Rustydog is on a distinguished road

Grip

I think what is more important than the style of grip, is what is actually happening with both hands. I have found that a good strong left hand position with 2 or 3 knuckles showing and only the pinky, ring finger and middle finger exerting much presure on the club. The right hand should exert only the presure one would use holding a baby bird. This so your right wrist releases properly on impact. The other thing with your right hand is that your thumb should never be on the top of the club, rather just around the shaft and perhaps touching the index finger. The thumb and index finger exert a little presure on the club, but not much.

This has lowered my score by 8 to 10 strokes this year alone. More distance, control and confidence. =

Harry

Thread Information