CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna43 View Post
    As a 5 day member at Stonebridge my question is where to next. My options
    1) Equinnelle (30 min drive)
    2) Hylands (I have heard the course is packed)
    3) Emerald Links
    4) Meadows
    5) Other??
    You've left the 3 closest courses off you list ..

Manderley
    Rideau View
    Carleton Golf & Yacht

If you are considering private golf with a flex membership CGYC offers Bronze and Silver packages that are very budget friendly. If you are an Intermediate age, both RV and CGYC have great deals.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Ace DecoyOctopus is on a distinguished road
    As others have stated it comes down to simple math and the fact the parts of the course they are ripping out have no houses backing on to it so no lawsuit. Can't wait for another 500 car added traffic to go with those two developments.

Driving down Jockvale and looking over the course especially at dusk is just majestic. Sad news indeed.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Anyone attend the meeting last night?

5 Wood hx101 is on a distinguished road
    No but one source is saying this is just a formality and it's a done deal and nothing can be done as they own the land and the course. It all started with the range and the cheaper "fixes" such as the crappy sand for the traps they started to use a few years back, hint..... hint....... Not to mention trying to entice more players with cheaper green fees not likely to happen and/or other changes in the Pro shop ........ I bet it will become a 9-hole course within 5 years as it's quite obvious the residents of Stonebridge either don't golf or don't care. Have a look at the demographic of people living there and you will notice they are not the "golfing" type unfortunately.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...tamy-1.4725793

I see a new par 3 shoehorned in beside the clubhouse where the practice area is. They shortened #5 to a very short par 4 or possibly a long par 3, and reconfigured #8, removing the lower fairway... but I only count 17 holes. Where is the missing hole?

Last edited by Kilroy; 06-28-2018 at 11:58 AM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

8 Iron Bodey is on a distinguished road
    Current #1 becomes a Par3 and a Par 4

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    #1 has been turned into two holes. The first green is just over the water and an par 3 has been added using the old first green with tee boxes on the left side.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

See the following:

https://www.stonebridgeca.com/wp-con...v=3e8d115eb4b3

The course will be a joke and they will still probably charge the same green fee.... WOW!!

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Having just read the media report , with all politicians and city councellors having "not made up their mind yet" certainly doesn't look good for the course.
    It would certainly be the beginning of the end for the course , i could see the front nine being completely demoed first and maybe they keep it a nine hole for a while .I hope im wrong and i wont bother playing an "excutive course" when we have better 18 hole choices around
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

I still think that they will have an issue with removing golf course views from existing home owners.

Legal challenges could hold up development for a long time.

That said, the proposed changes make the course a joke. And I still maintain that the location of the proposed new #9 presents a safety issue.

The plot of land they chose has no houses bordering the course, except the pink house that was there before the course was built. I agree about the new #9.
    Such a shame IMHO it is (currently) one of the nicest courses in the area.

Monday Qualifier Drew is on a distinguished road
    Well Mr hx101, I live in Stonebridge and play Stonebridge and WAS at the meeting last night. Not sure what gives you the right to paint us residents all with the same brush. A number of us play the course, and the clubhouse was overflowing with people from the community that were not happy. Mattamy will push and the residents will push back, and we will see where it goes. If you want help, write your Councillor, or the Mayor. The property is not zoned for residential and this will need to be changed before anything happens. There is no way the course would survive with 7 par 3s. This is a Mattamy money grab and has nothing to do with the course financials.
    You want to blame someone blame Mattamy and not us Residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    The plot of land they chose has no houses bordering the course, except the pink house that was there before the course was built. I agree about the new #9.
    Yep, I was referring to the comment that the rest of the course would be converted. That will be a problem.

The current plan just creates a ty golf course but other than zoning issues doesn't have any legal problems.

Like there isn't anywhere else to build

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    It WILL be a real shame if the course changes--it is a challenge to some of us and YES I do enjoy the conditions but a "Mickey Mouse" 18 is not my cup of tee or anyone else's that enjoy the game. According to "Joe" the new course "will be maintained as the present course" and "it should not make any difference to the majority of golfers". These were his words when I asked for some information last week. From what I can gather, the company has already OK"D the engineers designs--staff are working with it and the only hold up is zoning change that will give the city more tax dollars.. BTW, watch for Jockvale being 4 lanes if the zoning is approved---it will be a must with more traffic. Ho Hum-----another saga of $$$ trumping common sense. JMHO
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    In fact, the proposed new development will add about 20 homes with "golf course views". Too bad the golf course they will be viewing is becoming a joke. Sad.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Well Mr hx101, I live in Stonebridge and play Stonebridge and WAS at the meeting last night. Not sure what gives you the right to paint us residents all with the same brush. A number of us play the course, and the clubhouse was overflowing with people from the community that were not happy. Mattamy will push and the residents will push back, and we will see where it goes. If you want help, write your Councillor, or the Mayor. The property is not zoned for residential and this will need to be changed before anything happens. There is no way the course would survive with 7 par 3s. This is a Mattamy money grab and has nothing to do with the course financials.
    You want to blame someone blame Mattamy and not us Residents.
    Relax and stop acting like a typical "Ottawa" resident who can't take any criticism, have you taken your meds today?

Anyway, that was not the point of my comment. I have also been here since the opening day of Stonebridge G&CC and have written Jan Harder many times. My point was, Stonebridge is not a poor community, you would think it would be a perfect place for a top caliber course like Stonebridge was 5-6 years ago. However, the first sign of the eventual dismantlement of the golf course was the range. You can't have a top caliber course without a range and hitting balls into 2 nets is a joke, you must agree. Hitting a few balls into the net, then coming up to the tee box (#1) over the water, you better be warmed up if you know what I mean .

Of course we are not happy, but the Government does not own the land it's a private company who's main goal is profit. Stonebridge is starting to look like (well it is now) a large chunk of land that was shaved down, not one tree left, look at the Orchard and now the Pink (pig) house, everything gone. So if you think Jan Harder can do anything, you are not thinking straight. They (Mattamy) will appeal to the OMB who of course will rule in Mattamy's favor, it's happened time and time again.

Another scenario would be to sell it and/or the community buy it. That would be ideal for us however, let's use Clublink for example, well we don't have a range so they are out. The plan was in motion years ago I believe and stopping it (I hope it happens) seems like a pipe dream.

Please guys, let's not take personal shots at each other. This is not FB. Civility is to be maintained at all times.
    Thank you.

Wow, "it should not make any difference to the majority of golfers", typical Joe answer. So the new prices should be going down?????? Unfortunately, Joe takes his orders from Mattamy........

SAVE STONEBRIDGE!
    SCA COMMUNITY KICK-OFF
    July 4th at 7.00pm
    Ottawa Torah Center (111 Lamplighters Drive)

As a community we wanted to send a strong message to Mattamy and our City Councillors at Wednesday's meeting, and we succeeded at this. We estimate that over 400 people came, before people started to leave because they couldn't get in. Unfortunately none of the 3 city councillors in attendance, nor MP Chandra Arya, were able to make it into the meeting room due to over capacity. This showing was only possible because many of us took the time out of our busy schedules to attend the meeting and voice our concerns. The extent of our opposition to this application has also been covered as you may know in the media (CBC, CTV, Ottawa Citizen, Ottawa Sun, to name a few).

CBC (June 28): Stonebridge homeowners pan developer's plan for golf course

Mattamy did not come prepared to address any of our questions regarding their long term plan for Stonebridge, at the expense of our own personal investments in the community, and with no explanation of their questionable decisions that are will impact the viability of the golf course in the future.

Please join us on Wednesday evening to help shape our path forward in the opposition to this application. The SCA will come prepared with recommendations based on the feedback that has been streaming in, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We will be in touch again prior to the meeting.

HOW TO HELP BEFORE THE KICK-OFF MEETING?

We need to be able to reach every interested resident in Stonebridge by email to maximize our effectiveness as a community association, and support the future efforts of the community. We are initiating an outreach campaign to ensure that every resident in Stonebridge is given an opportunity to join our collective efforts to protect our community. Some have already been assisting with this, thank you.
    Since the meeting we have focused on updating our community mailing list to include everyone who signed up at the meeting or has requested to be added since. Our electronic email network is growing, by over 300 residents in recent days, but we have a long way to go to reach the level of coverage that will most benefit us all.

Please join our campaign to reach everyone in Stonebridge!
    (CLICK HERE TO VOLUNTEER)

Some of you have reached out to us already, and we will be in touch as soon as we can to get these efforts underway.

WHY SHOULD YOU GET INVOLVED NOW?

We have communicated with all 3 city councillors since the meeting and asstated in the media, we understand that all 3 councillors are currently considering their positions.
    We need to do everything we can to influence their position by ensuring they understand how strongly we feel, how we think this proposed development will impact our community, and as their constituents how much we need their support!
    Our short-term goal is to win the support of Councillor Harder, Councillor Moffatt and Councillor Qaqish in opposition to Mattamy's application. We are looking for a united front from the City to send a message to Mattamy that this development is not welcome. A lofty goal.
    We have started work on an online petition and an email campaign to rally support from our elected representatives. Our effectiveness in these efforts will be largely dependent on our ability to reach the entire Stonebridge community, and beyond, and how quickly we can launch these efforts together, while our representatives consider their positioning on this issue.

HOW DO I LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS APPLICATION?

The documents that compose the development application for Mattamy's Phase 16 are now posted on the City of Ottawa's website (click here to access). These documents include the Planning Rationale, Concept Plan, and Draft Plan of Subdivision, as well as others. We have started reviewing these documents in detail and encourage you to review them as well.

FILE NO: D07-16-18-0018 (Plan of Subdivision)
    ADDRESS: 2701 Longfields
    Planning Lead: John Bernier
    WARD: 21 (Rideau-Goulbourn)

WHY SHOULD YOU BE CONCERNED?

We are all affected by Mattamy's plans for a new subdivision and the golf course redevelopment to accommodate it.

Is this the first phase in a longer term plan to build over the Stonebridge golf course?
    Will the changes to the Stonebridge golf course result in a decline in profitability leaving no option but to pursue further residential development?
    We still don't have answers to these questions.

SEE YOU AT THE MEETING ON JULY 4TH!

Let's stand together to protect the future of Stonebridge!

HAPPY CANADA DAY!

We hope you and your families have a wonderful long weekend. Stop by Canada Day in Barrhaven festivities if you can!

If this message was forwarded to you, click here to receive future SCA communications.

Click here to join the SCA and enjoy the benefits of membership.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    They don't really offer deals - a few bucks off but nothing more.
    EQuinelle...$39.99 this weekend....all weekend...and that includes a cart. This is why EQuinelle is doing so well, because they want to succeed and they understand their target market. Stonebridge is merely buying time.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    EQuinelle...$39.99 this weekend....all weekend...and that includes a cart. This is why EQuinelle is doing so well, because they want to succeed and they understand their target market. Stonebridge is merely buying time.
    Not all weekend. Only after noon, when it's 35c outside with a humidor in the mid 40's. Other times it's regular price. Played Tues am and it was full, but not because of discounted pricing though.

SB is $40 after 1 all weekend though no cart
    Last edited by jeffc; 06-30-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Tee sheet at Equinelle is always full. Doesn't seem to matter what they charge and when. Something to be said for excellent course and top notch customer service. Well Done EQ!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    SB is $40 after 1 all weekend though no cart
    Goes to show how clueless Stonebridge is with advertising and actually being interested in acquiring customers. No where on their Facebook page or even their website does it mention $40 after 1pm. This is why eQuinelle is busy....and Stonebridge is leaking oil.

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    EM69 it is obvious that you have a problem with Stonebridge. For me I have no horse in this race and I like both Stonebridge and EQ. Almost all courses are struggling to attract golfers these days. Just in the last few years we have had bankruptcies and major refinancing at courses in the region. I hope things pick up.

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    Just back after a long hiatus and saddened to see this story. You'd think Mattamy would be concerned about their reputation but perhaps they have no future plans for golf course communities. That said, what's happening isn't as bad as if they were announcing the closure of the course (assuming they can?) and if it somehow speeds up the pace of play (a stretch, I know) it could still be a good thing.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnazzyD View Post
    Just back after a long hiatus and saddened to see this story. You'd think Mattamy would be concerned about their reputation but perhaps they have no future plans for golf course communities. That said, what's happening isn't as bad as if they were announcing the closure of the course (assuming they can?) and if it somehow speeds up the pace of play (a stretch, I know) it could still be a good thing.
    I can't see many serious golfers playing it anymore, which was kind of their clientele if you ask me. It might make for a faster round since it's shorter but I can't see how it will speed anything up. Perhaps a new clientele will develop but if you ask me it's the beginning of the end.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SnazzyD View Post
    That said, what's happening isn't as bad as if they were announcing the closure of the course (assuming they can?) and if it somehow speeds up the pace of play (a stretch, I know) it could still be a good thing.
    I don't think that four par-3's on the front nine is a recipe for speeding up play...

Quote Originally Posted by Bouboude View Post
    EM69 it is obvious that you have a problem with Stonebridge.
    Thanks Captain Obvious. A lot people do. This is not good for golf in Ottawa and it is not good for the community. I used to love going to Stonebridge. Please...all the golfers who are wishing to play a 5,600 yard course from the tips...put up your hand. What is obvious is their desire to sell off the land for home development. They are clearly not in this to manage a successful golf course.

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I don't think that four par-3's on the front nine is a recipe for speeding up play...
    Yeah.....that doesn't sound good. Could be fun on a quiet day, but I can see the logjam that could create.

Made me think of my time in Japan and their "playing 4" rule on certain holes if you go out of bounds. No rehits, no drops....you play your FOURTH shot from a dropzone closer to the green.

When your bags are fastened to a conveyor belt system, there's no playing-through and that's the surest way to speed things up. But man, I remember seeing red when I found my otherwise glorious tee-shot just a half foot outside the stakes and being told I had to pick it up and hit my 4th further up the fairway....

Thread Information