CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Gabrie is on a distinguished road

Looking at private club memberships, what’s best course for a 30 year old?

Hey guys and gals!

Just moved back to the area from living in Vancouver for 4 years. I was a Clublink member when I was living here last but now we’re in Barrhaven and nothing is really close. Considering the hunt and Rideau view right now.

Any other courses I should put on my list?

Looking for a nice track but a younger social crowd is also important.

Thanks in advance!
    G

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'm a member at Rideauview.

We have a pretty good membership. I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure overall we have a younger demographic than the Hunt. We've got an excellent junior program, the Men's league is good, and there's a pretty good social calendar.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    How about Stonebridge right in your backyard? I don't know what the social scene is like there, though.

Lob Wedge TheBigM is on a distinguished road
    Carleton Golf and Yacht club has a very active group in your age range and very affordable. I live in Barrhaven and the course is accessible from there.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    I joined http://www.hylandsgc.com last fall, cant wait for the season to start... 2 - 18s, driving range and 2 practice areas.

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    The Hylands it is for me as well 314314....
    As I mentioned to Gabrie in a private message, with its two full 18 hole courses - other than GreyHawk and Greensmere, the latter being non-Private, 36 holes is virtually unique in the region for a Private Club - and its tremendous practice facilities, with full grass range, three large putting greens all of which you can chip onto, and two full practice holes where you can use a pitching wedge to lob balls in from 100+ yards out and practice out of four bunkers onto an actual greens, in terms of value, experience and friendliness, the Hylands Golf Club is a dream for our Military and, for some time now, civilian members alike.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    +1 on Carleton Golf and Yacht Club
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    If it were me and I could afford to join either the Hunt or RideauView I wouldn't be looking too far else, especially if I had to play the course 50-100 times a year. While the other courses mentioned are decent, the courses themselves aren't in the league of HC or RV. SB is a fun track, but not being private could sway your opinion.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrie View Post
    Hey guys and gals!

Just moved back to the area from living in Vancouver for 4 years. I was a Clublink member when I was living here last but now we’re in Barrhaven and nothing is really close. Considering the hunt and Rideau view right now.

Any other courses I should put on my list?

Looking for a nice track but a younger social crowd is also important.
    Thanks in advance
    G
    There are no other courses close to RV and Hunt. There isn't a third option in this part of the city thats even remotely close. In all honesty I don't find RV and Hunt close either. Hunt has a great younger crowd, has 27 holes of which 18 have recently undergone a complete renovation, is unmatched locally in terms of overall condition and practice areas and has excellent reciprocals including Hamilton GCC. If you are interested in more information I'd be happy to speak to you offline. I've been a member for 7 years. Just shoot me a PM.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    I'll agree that Hunt and RV are a cut above for sure, but for those without deep pockets there are other very good private golf options. All depends on what you are looking for and what your budget is. Age is a big factor as well, with many great deals to be had for intermediates but eventually you will be paying full pop. We are lucky to have so many options in our area.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    I have played many times at the Rideau View and I have played the Hunt as well, and I have played most other private clubs in the region, and any suggestion these two private clubs offer the only alternatives for membership with no other single option that is even close to these does not serve someone looking for a suitable equivalent to add to a prospective list of alternatives. Also, given that their conditions are similar, anyone saying that Rideau View does not compare with the Hunt must only be based on the Rideau View having fewer holes than the Hunt, a smaller driving range with individual 'matts-only' driving stations, only one putting green, and only one pitching/chipping practice area, then that might be a valid reason for differentiating those two. However, if someone feels that all other courses fall below the Hunt's quantitative standard as well, and setting conditions aside, as some have in their assessment; then we are being made to accept a premise that the Hunt is the only choice in determining a fitting membership option to add to Gabrie's list. So let's compare another club in close proximity to the Hunt, let's compare it to the Hylands... though most wouldn't, and they may have good reason, I think it is fair to do so on the quantifiable basis cited elsewhere in this thread. Let's see how these two fine clubs match up.

Proximity to the City:
    Though virtually the same distance to the centre core, anyone driving on Hunt Club Road or Riverside Drive knows the traffic around the Hunt is impossible during peak hours. At peak, getting to the Hylands is so much easier, and even coming from the west at peak, using Leitrim Road to Albion Road as an alternative is never busy, especially anyone living in Riverside South or Barhaven. Hylands wins.

Number of Courses/Holes:
    The Hylands has two full courses over 36 holes; while the Hunt has only 27 holes. That's 25% more at the Hylands.

The Driving Range:
    One range each, both with natural turf section, and both with a high quality, single (long) matt hitting area. The Hylands' range area is twice the size of the Hunt's, and though the matts are the same quality, the matt at the Hylands' is newer.

Practice Holes, Putting & Chipping areas:
    The Hylands has two practice holes, while the Hunt has none. The Hylands has four putting/chipping greens, all of which you can chip onto, while the Hunt has one putting green, one putting/chipping green, and two chipping greens. So by virtue of their numbers and multi-faceted use, Hylands is ahead.

Membership and Initiation Fees:
    In their equivalent categories, the Hylands' yearly fee is $2,325 per year (which can be paid monthly, over ten months), with a $3,000 Initiation fee (which can be paid over four years if you chose the option to defer paying the first year); and though some would say the Hunt is priceless, at $23,320 including their $15,000 Initiation fee, perhaps it is... but I think the Hylands still edges the Hunt out on costs.

Overall, for those who looking for quantity and value, and if by the same premise that the Rideau View is not close in comparison to the Hunt, then nor would the Hunt be close to the Hylands, so the Hylands wins... so maybe it should be added to your list Gabrie, and in any event, good luck, and please keep us informed of your final choice.
    Last edited by MarcArt; 03-13-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcArt View Post
    I have played many times at the Rideau View and I have played the Hunt as well, and I have played most other private clubs in the region, and any suggestion these two private clubs offer the only alternatives for membership with no other single option that is even close to these does not serve someone looking for a suitable equivalent to add to a prospective list of alternatives. Also, given that their conditions are similar, anyone saying that Rideau View does not compare with the Hunt must only be based on the Rideau View having fewer holes than the Hunt, a smaller driving range with individual 'matts-only' driving stations, only one putting green, and only one pitching/chipping practice area, then that might be a valid reason for differentiating those two. However, if someone feels that all other courses fall below the Hunt's quantitative standard as well, and setting conditions aside, as some have in their assessment; then we are being made to accept a premise that the Hunt is the only choice in determining a fitting membership option to add to Gabrie's list. So let's compare another club in close proximity to the Hunt, let's compare it to the Hylands... though most wouldn't, and they may have good reason, I think it is fair to do so on the quantifiable basis cited elsewhere in this thread. Let's see how these two fine clubs match up.

Proximity to the City:
    Though virtually the same distance to the centre core, anyone driving on Hunt Club Road or Riverside Drive knows the traffic around the Hunt is impossible during peak hours. At peak, getting to the Hylands is so much easier, and even coming from the west at peak, using Leitrim Road to Albion Road as an alternative is never busy, especially anyone living in Riverside South or Barhaven. Hylands wins.

Number of Courses/Holes:
    The Hylands has two full courses over 36 holes; while the Hunt has only 27 holes. That's 25% more at the Hylands.

The Driving Range:
    One range each, both with natural turf section, and both with a high quality, single (long) matt hitting area. The Hylands' range area is twice the size of the Hunt's, and though the matts are the same quality, the matt at the Hylands' is newer.

Practice Holes, Putting & Chipping areas:
    The Hylands has two practice holes, while the Hunt has none. The Hylands has four putting/chipping greens, all of which you can chip onto, while the Hunt has one putting green, one putting/chipping green, and two chipping greens. So by virtue of their numbers and multi-faceted use, Hylands is ahead.

Membership and Initiation Fees:
    In their equivalent categories, the Hylands' yearly fee is $2,325 per year (which can be paid monthly, over ten months), with a $3,000 Initiation fee (which can be paid over four years if you chose the option to defer paying the first year); and though some would say the Hunt is priceless, at $23,320 including their $15,000 Initiation fee, perhaps it is... but I think the Hylands still edges the Hunt out on costs.

Overall, for those who looking for quantity and value, and if by the same premise that the Rideau View is not close in comparison to the Hunt, then nor would the Hunt be close to the Hylands, so the Hylands wins... so maybe it should be added to your list Gabrie, and in any event, good luck, and please keep us informed of your final choice.
    Interesting information regarding Hylands. Never visited the course so I have no point of reference. I was able to work around the traffic issue at Hunt by investing in a one time cost of $40 for a key fob which provided access to the back gate so coming from downtown it is much easier to access. And coming from Manotick or riverside it's easier because the gate that would allow access to Hylands via Leitrim is locked. Again I can't comment on the course so I defer to those who have played it. Do they have free reciprocals? Hunt has some amazing options in Montreal (as well as across the country) which help break up the season and provide some variety.
    Lastly, my annual dues at Hunt are less than what was posted above for Hylands. I've been paying less for the last 7 years. I know the intermediate category is undergoing changes so it would depend on the original posters age as to what he would be paying annually.
    In any event we are lucky with so many options at so many price points in Eastern Ontario, and Ottawa specially.

Putter Gabrie is on a distinguished road
    Hey guys and gals,

Special thanks to everyone who put in their 2 cents. It definitely helped me with my decision.

I decided to join Rideau View. Mainly because I really liked the course when I played it, the member culture, the 9 minute drive from my place and they made me a deal I couldn't resist.

$2100 + tax
    Waived the initiation fee of $4000 because I had paid Clublinks' initiation.
    $300 bar tab.

Another deciding factor was the fact that they had the most (from my research) intermediate members at 130+

I'm looking forward to the season as I make my debut at the men's league tonight.

Happy golfing folks!
    G

Thread Information