CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gap Wedge Maximus67 is on a distinguished road

Ottawa Golf Show at EY Centre

Is this an annual golf show like other cities have? I've been to the Toronto golf show once, and London's a few times including last weekend (https://www.westernfairdistrict.com/ldngolfshow), but I've never been to one in Ottawa.

Is anyone else going, or is this going to be worth going to? Given that it's less than a month away, I haven't even hear a whisper on the radio or newspapers or even from Ottawa Golf. The exhibitor list is pretty minimal so far.

Link: http://ottawa.golfexpos.ca

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Yes, this is an annual golf show like other cities have. It will be smaller than the Toronto golf show (which I have also been to), but larger than the London one in your link. Emphasis on local courses of course, but lots of other resorts, US courses etc. There is always a demo area with 4-5 manufacturers there, and seminars/presentations etc. If you're an avid golfer and new to Ottawa or never been before then you should probably check it out at least once.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    They don't usually tend to advertise until the week before , last year TSN 1200 broadcast live on the Friday and talked about it most of the week prior
    It's usually decent , you can get some discounts on prepaid golf at some courses , and the vendors have some reasonable deals .
    Given that it's snowy and cold outside , most people see this show as a glimpse of spring ahead
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    We'll be running a contest later this week to give away some tickets to the show. Stay tuned!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

5 Wood rossigm is on a distinguished road rossigm's Avatar
    I went last year for the very last time! It was pitiful/shameful for that matter. Even some of the local course have stopped attending, I’ve asked my club why the stopped attending and they told me the cost for the smallest square footage on the floor is around $3000 for 2 days which barely generate any revenue for them… Last year they had so much empty space to cover in the EY center that they had a huge play area/daycare for the kids with no kinds in it. They had a curling display full length plastic curling rink, what does curling have to do with golf???? A Sheppard of Good Hope kiosk….and more. They would put anything on the floor that’s not related to golf just to fill up a space. Some of the vendors from out of town couldn’t believe what they saw. They all told me, if I wanted to see a real golf show to attend the Montréal show, that’s where I’m heading this year!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rossigm View Post
    I went last year for the very last time! It was pitiful/shameful for that matter. Even some of the local course have stopped attending, I’ve asked my club why the stopped attending and they told me the cost for the smallest square footage on the floor is around $3000 for 2 days which barely generate any revenue for them… Last year they had so much empty space to cover in the EY center that they had a huge play area/daycare for the kids with no kinds in it. They had a curling display full length plastic curling rink, what does curling have to do with golf???? A Sheppard of Good Hope kiosk….and more. They would put anything on the floor that’s not related to golf just to fill up a space. Some of the vendors from out of town couldn’t believe what they saw. They all told me, if I wanted to see a real golf show to attend the Montréal show, that’s where I’m heading this year!
    To be fair, there are a number of curling and golf clubs out there. I'm an avid curler, and I know a lot of curlers who are golfers. I haven't been to the golf show since it moved to the EY Centre, but if I knew there was a curling demo, it would increase the chance I would attend. There was a curling kiosk at the CN Women's open this summer, too. There is no growth in the golf industry lately, and declining participation in the show is a symptom of that. I wish the show nothing but success.
    Andrew

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    I have to admit I only really went for the coupons for free golf. Haven't been in years but I may go this year as I am investing myself in golf again.
    I wonder why the Montreal golf show does so much better? I can see Toronto's show being larger based on population but I think Montreal is somewhat more comparable to Ottawa's population.
    "Get your smile on!"

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy4Par View Post
    I have to admit I only really went for the coupons for free golf. Haven't been in years but I may go this year as I am investing myself in golf again.
    I wonder why the Montreal golf show does so much better? I can see Toronto's show being larger based on population but I think Montreal is somewhat more comparable to Ottawa's population.
    metro montreal is about 4x the size of metro ottawa.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Guess size does matter.
    "Get your smile on!"

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy4Par View Post
    Good to hear your getting back into the game buddy.

7 Wood strong49 is on a distinguished road strong49's Avatar
    Last year i went to shows in Toronto which is in fact in Mississauga, Ottawa and Montréal . By far Montreal was the best. Ottawa show was held friday night and saturday only. Not a bad thing considering that on Sunday afternoon after 1 oclock it is usualy dead for the rest of the day . New concept in Ottawa where the parking was free on friday night which is good and brought a good crowd.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus67 View Post
    Is this an annual golf show like other cities have? I've been to the Toronto golf show once, and London's a few times including last weekend (https://www.westernfairdistrict.com/ldngolfshow), but I've never been to one in Ottawa.

Is anyone else going, or is this going to be worth going to? Given that it's less than a month away, I haven't even hear a whisper on the radio or newspapers or even from Ottawa Golf. The exhibitor list is pretty minimal so far.

Link: http://ottawa.golfexpos.ca
    Not worth it. It used to be a can't miss back in the day at the OAC. I wouldn't waste your time.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    If they have free parking again on Friday night this year, it may entice me to go again...otherwise I will most likely pass on the event...

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    I did notice that the Web Page states Friday is again free parking. I may pop in but I fully agree - it is far from a must-see.

7 Wood strong49 is on a distinguished road strong49's Avatar
    Agree

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Any idea why they moved it? I would think the OAC was easier to get to and probably more viable financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofish2 View Post
    Any idea why they moved it? I would think the OAC was easier to get to and probably more viable financially.
    Not sure but here's what I can tell you. This golf expo used to be packed. I can remember driving around the block for 30 minutes waiting for a parking spot and going in and being full of vendors from all over - including travel destinations. There used to be a ton of giveaways (I remember coming home with a bag full of 2 for 1, etc) and I always bought the t pack for Tremblant (back then it was $99 for two rounds at either diable or geant).

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Not sure but here's what I can tell you. This golf expo used to be packed. I can remember driving around the block for 30 minutes waiting for a parking spot and going in and being full of vendors from all over - including travel destinations. There used to be a ton of giveaways (I remember coming home with a bag full of 2 for 1, etc) and I always bought the t pack for Tremblant (back then it was $99 for two rounds at either diable or geant).
    Agree 100%

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    They can do the 2-4-1 online much easier now. Why would the golf courses pay 3000oth to do that. at a golf show nowaday.

Need a Caddy slash is on a distinguished road
    Went to ottawa golf show today. Lots of golf club promoting there own, half price regriping from golfworks, golfliquidition stuff. Even the demo club section is boring. No trackman to check out your ball flight or other info. Just hitting into a net, how the hell can you buy golf clubs without any info. Callaway did not even have a fitting bag, only different clubs with differrent shafts. Taylormade had different shafts for each club. Did not go at the other fitters. Waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by slash View Post
    Went to ottawa golf show today. Lots of golf club promoting there own, half price regriping from golfworks, golfliquidition stuff. Even the demo club section is boring. No trackman to check out your ball flight or other info. Just hitting into a net, how the hell can you buy golf clubs without any info. Callaway did not even have a fitting bag, only different clubs with differrent shafts. Taylormade had different shafts for each club. Did not go at the other fitters. Waste of time.
    I think the time has come to look at either completely revamping the golf show and/or stop charging admission

the good thing about going today is the parking was free. lol

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    The reality is, all of this is about making money. The cost to run a show is outrageous, meaning the cost to rent a booth space is outrageous. People attending are going expecting rock bottom deals and giveaways meaning the company renting the booth is not actually making any profit so what is the point in participating?

My company rented space at the Army Run a few years ago and the cost was very high and it is very tough to get your investment back.

To all the people who complain about the show, what would you like to see, or what would make it worthwhile for you to attend?

I do understand that it is expensive to rent a booth, but my main concern was that the demo area had no trackman to help someone decide what was better for him or herself. We can always go to golftown to get that information but going at a show like this is mostly to try knew irons or woods. Everything else was fine & do know most of the booth are for getting golfer to their own course.

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by slash View Post
    I do understand that it is expensive to rent a booth, but my main concern was that the demo area had no trackman to help someone decide what was better for him or herself. We can always go to golftown to get that information but going at a show like this is mostly to try knew irons or woods. Everything else was fine & do know most of the booth are for getting golfer to their own course.
    The guys at the Titleist demo station had/have one.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I thought it was decent as per usual .
    I think the demo area is just to have a look and swing of a club , surely you would go to a fitting center to buy a set?
    And as far as the deals were , lots of good deals on pre paid green fees , good deals on clothing / shoes etc .
    I found some of the prices on clubs a little high , but im sure there were deals to be had .

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    I thought it was decent as per usual .
    I think the demo area is just to have a look and swing of a club , surely you would go to a fitting center to buy a set?
    And as far as the deals were , lots of good deals on pre paid green fees , good deals on clothing / shoes etc .
    I found some of the prices on clubs a little high , but im sure there were deals to be had .
    went with Will, it was decent:

Lots of free beer samples from some local brewers
    Lots of good deals on clothes, shoes, etc. hats for $15 with a good selection.
    Clubs seemed a little expensive
    Lots of good deals on prepaid green fees. Tremblant had one for $67 with no restrictions and refundable if you didn't use it by the end of the year.
    Golfworks was offering free regripping last night with purchase of grips.

Paid $7 each (2 for 1) to get in after 6 with free parking. Can't really beat that.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Sadly I did not make it this year, but I did stop in at the Golf Clearance sale at the Best Western in Bells Corners.

Sand Wedge retired is on a distinguished road
    I have not been to the ottawa golf show at the EY centre since 2015, looks like i did not miss much. I used to go the the golf show when it was at the OAC, and remember how the place was packed and parking was hard to find, and would come back with bags at least 2 full of stuff. The last time I went to the golf sow at the EY, my bag of goodies only had a few items,

Hybrid headcase is on a distinguished road headcase's Avatar
    Most clubs including my own just can't justify the $$ amount to set up a booth for 2 days, not 3. I did go out to have a look after 12 years of not attending. The first thing I saw was a Ax throwing contest just around the corner from the entrance. Yup an Ax throwing booth at a golf show. Really!!.

Thread Information