CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No TV calls

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road

No TV calls

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Too bad, I was looking forward to watching golf on my 65" UHD LED TV and calling in the second I saw an infraction, but seriously it's about time
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Too bad, I was looking forward to watching golf on my 65" UHD LED TV and calling in the second I saw an infraction, but seriously it's about time
    I am with you on this one!!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    In team sports, unlike golf, because of its continuous action, if a rule is broken but is not called, the infraction, effectively, did not happen. Golf is about "getting it right." Currently, referees are permitted to use any source to determine the facts, after which the Rules of Golf are then applied uniformly to all players. This ensures a fair result.

By eliminating call-ins as one source of information, the probability of a rules infraction being missed increases. Theoretically, having a referee watching the telecast should balance the loss of call-in information and ensure that desired fair result. However, if the only video that can be used by the video referee is the feed that you and I see, and not all the video that broadcasting company takes during the tournament, rules infractions are going to be missed, resulting in the possibility of an unfair result. It will still be possible then for someone to win a tournament after having broken the rules, because the infraction was not caught on the correct camera. When I post on Twitter or Facebook, the video I took on my smart phone of Joe Smuck getting away with breaking the rules and finishing higher that he should have, the media will go nuts again. So while yesterday's announcement is a step in the right direction, it's a small one.

The elimination of the two stroke penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard because of incurring a penalty that the player did not know had, again sounds positive. But imagine a player who double hits, for example, and does not call the penalty on himself because he thinks no one saw it happen. If subsequently found out, he simply adds one stroke to his score with no further consequence. The player and his caddie are responsible for knowing the rules and this change may further reduce the consequences for the players not fulfilling their responsibilities.

So overall, the changes announced yesterday are good and move us a bit closer to perfection, but there is a long way to go yet.
    Last edited by BC MIST; 12-12-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    The elimination of the two stroke penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard because of incurring a penalty that the player did not know had, again sounds positive. But imagine a player who double hits, for example, and does not call the penalty on himself because he thinks no one saw it happen. If subsequently found out, he simply adds one stroke to his score with no further consequence. The player and his caddie are responsible for knowing the rules and this change may further reduce the consequences for the players not fulfilling their responsibilities.

So overall, the changes announced yesterday are good and move us closer to perfection, but there is a long way to go yet.
    You still have the option to disqualify if it's egregious. 33-7?

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    I think the threat of media calling out a player will deture most professionals from doing it.

On the other hand, is it fair that Tiger is under a microscope with so many cameras on him and the unknown in the same tournament has none?

I think it's great that they are adapting rules in the spirit of the "gentleman's game" it was meant to be.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeTANG View Post
    On the other hand, is it fair that Tiger is under a microscope with so many cameras on him and the unknown in the same tournament has none?
    Being under a microscope is a natural consequence of playing well. But if it is unfair to those playing well, the only "solution" is to videotape no one as it is just not feasible to tape everyone on every hole over four days. Potential breaches of the rules will not be caught and therefore some players would finish higher than they should depriving others of earnings they deserve. Problem still not solved.
    Last edited by BC MIST; 12-17-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Need a Caddy solstrum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Being under a microscope is a natural consequence of playing well. But if it is unfair to those playing well, the only "solution" is to videotape no one as it is just not feasible to tape everyone on every hole over four days. Potential breaches of the rules will not be caught and therefore some players would finish higher than they should depriving others of earnings they deserve. Problem still not solved.
    Let them play golf. Golf is a gentleman's game. Its about honor. Let the player, the playing partner and the caddies be responsible for the rules. We don't play with a committee watching us. Would you bet your golfing career that you haven't broken a rule? Ball moved at address, as your putter was grounded, in the wind, but you were looking at the hole at the time?

And we see the leaders all day. No one else. So that means the rules must be enforced to decide the winner, but what if the guy who is 10 back, breaks a rule, not seen, and keeps his card because of it.

We watch golf on tv, not partake in golf on tv.

Calling in, is for Who want's to be a millionaire, or voting for American Idol.

Thread Information