CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar

Play Junior Golf Tour

Any parents have kids that have played in the Play Junior Golf Tour? My son is interested in competing next year, so we are looking for some options.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    This tour is a development tour for all junior age groups and also has a 9 hole format for very young players.

Having said that, quite a few of the players in the Bantam, Juvenile and Junior divisions are above the caliber of this tour but play because it is competitive and they get to hon their skills.

Last season was fantastic for where they played. Brockville, Royal Ottawa, Equinelle,Smith's Falls. Carleton G & Y, Upper Canada, Perth.

You pay a $70 fee for the season and pay the discounted green fee when you show up ( $40 for Smugller's last year ) and you get food and a prize.Hard to beat that deal!

Downhillslider, do you have kids in this Tour? Sounds like a great opportunity. My son is 13, started last season with about 10 rounds. He loves it and is expressing an interest in competing.

Yes, I have a son who just turned 15 and he did 2 years with this tour Your boy is Bantam age and some of the lads are very good players. I say this because a similar situation last year where a customer of mine had clubs made for his son and while the fitting was taking place the father mentioned about competing. I mentioned the PJGT. The young lad showed up for an event and was so overwhelmed by the whole scene of players on the range with alignment rods, on the putting green with strings and sticks, exchanging score cards on the first tee, announcing your name on the first tee before you tee off, real tournament stuff. He shot 117 and we never saw him again.

For what it's worth, 5,000 + yard tracks for bantams, my son had 1 first and 3 2nd pace finishes last season and all of those rounds were in the 70's

It's a real eye opener your first time !

Wow...that is crazy. Maybe we might go watch a tournament before entering into one. It is not quite as "entry" level as I thought it would be. I really appreciate the information, thanks a lot.

If your son believes he would like to compete then I encourage you to do so. All the kids that are out there had to start somewhere. He will meet new friends, learn a ton about competitive golf and learn even more about himself.

Out of the 14 Bantams last season, there were the usual top 5 jockeying for top spot yet watching the other kids play their hearts out simply trying to better their score from the previous competitive round is beautiful to watch.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    I know some of the folks behind the PJGT and have heard very positive things about this tour.

I'd strongly encourage your son to join a local club junior program first as a stepping stone to playing in official tournaments. Most Jr programs combine group lessons with some form of organized play - this is a great way to get introduced to competition while learning the rules, etiquette and honing your skills. Would be even better if he convinced a buddy to join with him or joined somewhere where he already knew some of the kids.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 4jag View Post
    I know some of the folks behind the PJGT and have heard very positive things about this tour.

I'd strongly encourage your son to join a local club junior program first as a stepping stone to playing in official tournaments. Most Jr programs combine group lessons with some form of organized play - this is a great way to get introduced to competition while learning the rules, etiquette and honing your skills. Would be even better if he convinced a buddy to join with him or joined somewhere where he already knew some of the kids.
    Well said

Much appreciated to both of you. This is new territory for us so this is very helpful.

The 2018 schedule is now available. They have some awesome courses this season with no registration fees.

Yes, the courses look great. I've decided to sign up my son. He wants to check it out the competitive golf scene. Golf competitions are a new world for us, so we will go watch one of the first events, and then if he is still interested, we will enter an event.

Thread Information