CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar

Question- External Hard Drives

I was looking at getting an 1TB external hard drive for my home PC, just to store photos, music, etc... Does anyone have an recommendations for one. Looking for easy to use and operate and transfer. I do not need a portable one per say, as it would mostly stay attached to the home PC.

I have read a few things about Seagate ones and problems with them breaking down. I just thought I would ask fellow members about a good, somewhat inexpensive one.

Thanks.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    If you can, look at a solid state drive. Much less prone to failure. They are more expensive but worth it IMHO. Cloud is another option.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

6 Iron Ian is on a distinguished road Ian's Avatar
    Well, the bulk of the market appears to be Seagate and Western Digital. Since they are now the same company, there is much to choose there. I have several .5 to 2 TB portable Seagates (require no additional power supply) and an 8TB Seagate which does require an external PS. All have proven reliable and have given me no problems. However, I don't use ANY of the software supplied with the drives. I delete all that stuff and just use a file manager to move files back and forth between the external drives and my main machine or laptop.

I would say that the jury is still out on whether solid state drives are more reliable. And they are considerably more expensive.

One caveat: I would stay away from Adata products; I've had no luck whatsoever with their stuff and the tech support sucks!

Anyway, hope this helps. There should be some good deals after Xmas!.....................Ian

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I saw a Seagate 1TB portable hard drive for $40.00 and was just reading some reviews about failures...so I was not sure...

Thread Information