St Andrews - The Home of Golf
Scott McDonald

I was talking to Steve on March 23rd when I picked up a couple of golf shirts and a hat before I left for a holiday to Scotland. I mentioned to Dan that I would be playing a round or two at St. Andrews and he said that if I got a picture or two he might put it on the OttawaGolf.com web site showing an OttawaGolf.com player golfing at St Andrews.

While I was in Scotland I had an opportunity to get in 6 games. One game at Carnoutsie on the championship course where the British Open is played and two games in St. Andrews. I was not able to get on the 'Old' course as I do not have a registered handicap (required to play on the Old course) but I was able to play a round on the 'Jubilee' course (considered as difficult as the Old course) and a round on the Strathtyrum course ( a shorter - par 69 course). both of these courses run along side the 'Old' course.

My game at Carnoustie was played on April 4th and I played along with two fellows from Scotland. Moderate to strong winds, partly sunny and 10c. Front nine started off well with paring the first hole (par 4) and having some good puts on the front nine ending with 48 going out. Coming in on the back nine was a different story. There are deeper bunkers on the back nine, one that I ended up in had a front wall that was at least eight feet high. Nice sand to work with and I was fortunate to just take one shot to get out of the bunker onto the green. The 'burn' or creek that runs through the 17 and 18th holes really adds a challenge and I can understand why 'Vanderfelt' had such a hard time. My score on the back nine was a miserable 59 for a total of 107 for the round.

On April 5th I was able to get on the Jubilee course at St Andrews at 07:00. It was a beautiful sunny and calm morning (definitely unusual for St. Andrews). The Jubilee course is closest to the ocean with the 'New' course between the Jubilee and the 'Old' courses. The course was in great shape and I evened my score with 53 going out and 53 coming in.

On April 6th my wife and I played the Strathtyrum course, starting in a more traditional cloudy, rainy windy morning that soon changed to moderate winds, high clouds and temperatures rising to 10c. There are fewer bunkers but the ones that are there are challenging, the course also runs shorter with only one par 5. It is a Par 69 course. This was my best game with a 43 going out and a 45 coming home for an 88.

There are a couple of photos of St Andrews with me standing on the Old course on the 18th green with the old club house in the back ground and on the 18th fairway at the old bridge. I have our Ottawa Golf cap on and hope you can pick out the logo.

I was also able to get in a couple of rounds on a 'highland' course at Pitlochry, Scotland. The course was in great condition and being in the highlands the hills added a definite challenge to the game.

All in all it was a great trip and I would recommend that all golfers should make the journey to the 'Home of Golf'.