Myrtle Beach

Glen Royea
www.eatdrinksleepgolf.com

Well it's Friday 3 pm and I'm leaving Ottawa to go meet up with 7 friends in Montreal, picking up the rental vans and heading off to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, AKA: Paradise. I always drive the first shift because I don't trust myself driving at night, come to think of it, I don't trust the other guys either. Always make sure you have a good co-pilot cause this year's co-pilot fell asleep on me a few times. We were smart this year, we got 2 vans with TV's in them, how sweet is this, if you hate driving/riding in vehicles, this is a must!

After driving through state after state, eating at fast food restaurants, seeing those annoying "South of the Border" billboards, we saw our first Myrtle Beach sign, ah yes, we have arrived. Our first tee-time was only scheduled for Sunday, but seeing all that beautiful green grass we got real jealous and we squeezed in a late Saturday afternoon round at Black Bear and I shot 88, turned out to be the best one of the day, actually turned out to be the best round for the whole week for me. Black Bear offers the best golf in a totally relaxed and soothing atmosphere, this especially helped after the drive. This course is basically surrounded by hardwoods and pines and with over 20 crystal clear lakes which happily swallow up your golf balls, better bring some extra sleeves.

Our condos at River Oaks were awesome and clean as usual and everything is there for us, fully equipped kitchen, 4 beds, washer/dryer and of course a pool to relax those beer drinking, I mean, golf muscles. The folks at River Oaks really do spoil you! Apart from the 110 golf courses, there are some amazing restaurants to choose from and some decent factory outlet shopping (ssshhhh don't tell my wife I enjoyed the shopping down there).

I think the best part of each day is waking up and realizing you're going to go play golf while your friends are back home freezing their butts off. We ended up playing Black Bear, Waterway Hills, Burning Ridge East and West, Calabash, Lockwood Folly, Southcreek at MBN and King’s North at MBN. All awesome courses!!! Waterway Hills Golf Club is a designed by the Robert Trent Jones and you must take a gondola across the water in order to get to the golf course, no need to tip the gondola guy. With all of the crowned greens and perfectly placed bunkers, you better have your short game ready.

Playing both Burning Ridge’s in the same day is great because they are on the same property. We played the East in the morning, had a quick bite to eat and we were off to the West course. The most enjoyable and memorable course we played was definitely King’s North at Myrtle Beach National. The reason being is that they have this hole there called The Gambler. The par-5, 6th hole, The Gambler, features an island fairway which offers you a "risk-reward" short-cut to the green for a chance at an eagle, but the two precise shots are required to be a hero; unfortunately all 8 of us tried to be Kenny Rogers but we should have folded and walked away, actually ran away. No hole-in-ones and nobody broke 80 (legitimately, we're still reviewing one of the decisions), but hey as the saying goes, a bad day on the golf course is a better day at the office.

If you want to enjoy the Myrtle Beach experience or any other destinations, come visit us at www.eatdrinksleepgolf.com

e-mail:
golf@eatdrinksleepgolf.com
or call 866-270-GOLF or 613-841-4189
and we'll help you set up your golf package