Deep in the Heart of Texas - San Antonio
Debbie Redmond - Glenview Travel

Deep in the heart of Texas between Houston and Austin is the remarkable city of San Antonio. A city which grew up along the San Antonio River and expanded into the rolling hills of the Texas Hill Country and whose citizens were massacred by the Mexicans led by Santa Ana at the Alamo. The city itself has endured despite incredible odds over ownership and is now a showpiece of the struggle for freedom. The early Spanish/Mexican roots are visible as you walk through the historic Missions, now museums, which tell the story of the first days of the city. The most famous and

first Mission San Antonio de Valera, The Alamo, is itself a living legend in which you can touch and feel the passion that led to this fight for freedom. A 45-minute Imax performance "Alamo-The Price of Freedom" recreates the story of those 189 souls who fell defending their rights in 1836 and though there is an element of Hollywood present by and large it is a stirring story faithfully reconstructed to the events, which shaped Texas.
San Antonio is not just about freedom but it is also about Texas Hospitality. The downtown core has blossomed into a booming metropolis and at its heart is the El Paseo del Rio- The River Walk. It was not built originally as a tourist attraction but as a precaution against flooding. As necessity is the mother of invention the city fathers recognized that flooding posed a major danger to the city and their solution was to reroute, rebuild and gate the mighty San Antonio and in the process gained a urban garden area which is unequalled in the United States. Once the pathways and garden areas began to emerge, new hotels and restaurants followed, making it a magical place for walking, dining, and entertainment all year round. The river barges that navigate the waterway do so now to the sounds of Jazz, the lilt of Irish Ballads and the banter of the riverside café patrons.

While I wax lyrically about the destination I digress from my original intention that was to travel to San Antonio to golf. San Antonio has so much to offer it is hard to get back to topic - and indeed as soon as we finished playing each day we rushed off to yet another attraction. Did I mention Sea World?

There are over 40 golf courses in the immediate area surrounding the city easily accessed on ring roads and interstate highway. There are municipal courses, private facilities and resort settings to satisfy any taste and ability. You could choose a golf-around program as we did or choose to stay and play.

The Radission Hill Country Resort and Spa was our host hotel. Located in the northwest of the city next to the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and adjacent to Sea World, it is well placed to allow access to all city courses. An attractive midlevel high-rise resort built recently that has earned its 4 star reputation for service with facilities, which include a full Spa and landscaped pool area completed by an outside barbeque area where each night the fire was lit and marshmallows were available for roasting.
The Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa features not only 5 star accommodations and a "lazy river" pool area for relaxation but also a stunning Arthur Hill championship par 72, 6,913 yard course. An innovative use of the terrain by this designer takes you winding through the acres of rolling woods with sand and water hazards to challenge on each hole. A slope rating of 136 keeps you focused on staying on the fairway and out of the pretty Texas wildflowers, cactus and mighty oak trees.
If you love target golf then you will fully appreciate The Quarry. This is the type of course you want to ensure that you are accurate or you will be scrambling throughout the round. Described by the club brochure as "bipolar" it is really two golf courses in one. The front nine is a links type challenge, and the back nine literally dug out of a limestone quarry. Unique, and exciting this course at par 71is an excellent test for any golfer.

The Golf Club of Texas at Briggs Ranch is a rolling style course which crosses over Lucas Creek several times as it meanders the property. Side hill lies, lots of water and 44 sand bunkers provide challenge to make up the 135 slope. A tricky par three over water was a memorable hole for me at 128 yards the wind swept the tumbleweed and my well hit three wood directly into the drink. But then that's golf.

A highlight of the week was round at The Westin La Cantera. There are two courses at this lovely resort - the Palmer and the Resort Course. We chose The Palmer but I gather from others in the group that the Resort Course was equally worthwhile. Set across the valley of limestone from one another these courses are expertly designed by Arnold Palmer and Tom Wieskopf /Jay Morrish and provide excellent entertainment as well as being aesthetically beautiful. I lost several balls; found several more but enjoyed the vistas, and the golf enormously.

Ingeniously nestled between the two courses in the valley is the Diamond Back Golf Academy. Brandon born Tom Relf, started up this academy only a few years ago and has specialized in junior golf programs since opening. He offers individual instruction and group clinics and has a very popular March Break program for families. The facility has plenty of range space and all the latest technological tools for teaching.

The quality of the courses in the area is extremely high, regrettably for me there wasn't enough time in five days to play everywhere. I missed such gems as Pecan Valley, (where the 1968 PGA was held) Olympia Hills, and the Silverhorn Golf Club to mention but a few. All excellent facilities and well worth playing.

The golf is sufficient reason to visit San Antonio but there is so much more to see in this exciting Texas City. The hospitality and food are outstanding, the taste of Barbeque is still fresh in my mind. We dined, outside on wide verandas, on tiny café tables at the Riverwalk, at a picnic table in a garage, on nachos and margaritas, burritos and juicy steaks, on shrimp in spicy hot sauce, on brisket and creamed corn and marshmallows over the fire pit. It all adds up to a taste and feel of San Antonio and makes me long to return. I will never forget the Alamo, for freedom and for all those different reasons it's a destination you won't forget either.