CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Glen Abbey may be demolished?

Not sure if this is correct but read the course will be demolished and housing complex built in its place. Say it aint so.Anyone have further info.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    Yup. They were talking about this a couple of years back. The land is worth so much more and ClubLink is a for profit company. Problem is that the developers are offering so much money for the land. Lots of old courses have been approached by developers with drool hanging off of their chins. A buddy of mine is a member at Beaconsfield in Montreal, and they have turned down a developer willing to build them 36 holes (instead of the existing 18) along with a beautiful clubhouse. They have turned him down.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It's true. I heard it will be gone in 5 - 10 years
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Shows that money talks.Incredible.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    big thread on it over on TGN. Not surprising, this happened 10-15 years ago in Myrtle Beach as well.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    Could be a long drawn out legal battle.
    https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...lf-course.html

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Quick, slap a nationally historic tag on the course and be done with the discussion

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I played golf in pei this fall...drove down from halifax...and one of the twosomes me and my buddy i went with...got paired with...had a guy from Oakville worked for the city and said no way hell no ...will it get sold...said the city gave so much free value to them when guaranteed it would stay a golf course that they cannot flip it for money now....he was overly confident it will never happen.

i do not know if his confidence was real or just bravado...but he said wont happen...we will see.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Looks like your buddy was right. It's not going to happen.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...itage-act.html

That is good news.

Playing Winter Rules mr. chopper is on a distinguished road mr. chopper's Avatar
    The owner of Club Link has been negotiating with the PGA for several years now in an attempt to secure the Canadian Open for at least 10 years. The reality of the situation is that many of the players on the PGA tour don't like Glen Abbey. A good buddy of mine won the Open a few years back when they used to rotate the tournament at numerous great courses across the country. He went back to the Abbey to defend and said he'd never play the course again. I tend to agree with him and many of the other players that dislike the golf course. Glen Abbey is way over rated! It's only because it was Jack's first solo design that gave it any kind of recognition or respect. I have it from reliable sources that if Club Link succeeds in brokering a deal with the PGA and acquires the rights to the Canadian Open for 10 years they are committed to spare no expense and either totally redesign another golf course in the GTA of build a world class track on another piece of property. At the end of the day the owner of Club Link could simply close Glen Abbey and grow weeds there, which would be fine with many of the tour players. It's really going to come down to how bad Club Link wants the exclusive rights to the Canadian Open. If you look at the big picture it could be a win, win, win. If Club Link developes Glen Abbey the City of Oakville gets a massive new tax base, the GTA is guaranteed the Canadian Open for at least 10 years and Club Link brings in a top architect to build a new world class golf course that hopefully won't allow the players to shoot twenty something under par every year... My 2.5 cents...
    Last edited by mr. chopper; 09-17-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Thread Information