Take Note Of Your Elbows At Address
By Darrell Buchanan, Meadows Golf Club

Throughout all my years teaching the golf swing, I don’t think I could pick out any two golfers that address the ball in the same fashion. However, if there is any part of a Tour Pro’s game that we can duplicate, this is it. The best address positions are natural positions and are achieved through a sound and practiced pre-shot routine. The greatest thing about practicing a pre-shot routine and address positions is that we can easily do it in our homes or offices. Your local C.P.G.A Pro can show you the proper address positions and assist you in creating a consistent pre-shot routine.

I have mentioned earlier in this article that address positions are natural, however, many people neglect to pay attention to the elbow position. This is because at address the inside of the elbows must be turned outwards which feels unnatural. Once you have addressed the ball and are prepared to take the club back, check to see if the inside of your elbows are pointing outwards. You should be able to pick the club up in the air and place it on your right/left shoulder by simply bending the arms from the elbows (similar to bicep curls that you would do in weight training or when you give blood).

To take this drill one step further, simply complete your ninety degree shoulder turn (with the club resting on your right/left shoulder). Once the turn is complete, simply lift the club off of the shoulder and presto, your club is now in the proper position at the top.

For any golfers who have ever been told that they have a "flying right (or left for lefties) elbow", this could be the problem.