CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Richard_Golf is on a distinguished road

Air travelling with my clubs

Hi everyone,

I always drive to Myrtle beach, but this year I'll be flying from Ottawa with my brothers. I was going to use a soft case that I have to protect my clubs, but I've been reading a lot online and notice there are quite a few horror stories of how the clubs are thrown around and damaged by the handlers. I'm thinking now that I should probably use a hard case. Does anyone have any advice stories to share?

Also, I've looked online to see if I could rent a hard case for my trip, but I've only found a company in the Toronto area that rents hard cases. Would anyone in the Ottawa area have a hard case that I could borrow/rent?

Thanks everyone!
    Richard

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    all I can say is while travelling to FLA a couple of years ago AC destroyed the hard case I was using. No club damage but the case was a gonner. I would also suggest some insurance on your clubs just in case.

Putter Richard_Golf is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for sharing that Cleek. Good suggestion on the insurance!
    Richard

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    I travel to the US every year with my clubs and use a soft travel case. A buddy had his hard case smashed 2 years ago and replaced it with a soft case. A soft case is also expandable where a hard case is limited by its dimensions. I have never had anything break, knock on wood!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I use a soft case when I travel, and a club glove stiff arm to protect my clubs from drops. Has worked well so far.

https://www.clubglove.com/StiffArm/

A big bonus of the soft case is that you can fold it up and put it away, doesn't take nearly the space a hard shell does. Also, if you're travelling with friends and some of you have hard shells, it can be a PITA to get them all in the car on the way to and from the airport.

3 Wood Sab is on a distinguished road Sab's Avatar
    Soft case works for all the reasons already stated. Stiff Arm is great idea but save $30 USD and cut off a hockey stick.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    I use the neoprene head covers for my irons and remove the heads of my woods. Another way to protect your graphite shafts is to use copper pipe foam wrap or use extra clothes to prevent the shafts from moving around.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Soft case won't protect like a hard case. Yes its easier to transport so make sure your vehicle can transport it.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    A high end soft case is the way to go, all tour pros use these. A hard case offers minimal protection after its broken loading onto the plane.
    Also +1 on the cut off hockey stick. Put your driver in head first in the bag, and wrap the rest of the heads with your golf towel.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    I couldn't agree more. I have been on a trip with 4 sets of clubs and a single rental (all soft side bags) and a separate trip where we needed two cars because of the hard shell cases (2 of 4).

I travel pretty regularly, soft (but high quality) bag, with a stiff arm. I don't remove the heads but do use towels to protect the heads and keep them turned inside. Use neoprene covers on irons and wedges.

Have also travelled with a friend who used a soft side case but no stiff arm (or stick). Driver head broke loose on his first swing. $30 is cheap insurance.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    One thing to consider with the hard case is that the I used one year to Phoenix couldn't fit in the trunk of the rental car. Plus, I honestly believe the baggage staff on airlines treat hard cases differently. Brand new case was almost ruined in one trip. I have since gone to soft case and been on numerous trips including 3 connections to Hawaii with no issues. I pack it properly and protect the clubs with pool noodles/towels and I've never had any issues

Lob Wedge dMike34 is on a distinguished road
    Noticed too how the airline personnel treat the hard cases "hard".

Putter AllForeOne is on a distinguished road
    Have you looked at the guide on the PGA website? It has some good tips http://www.pga.com/golf-travel/trave...our-golf-clubs

Also worth checking out the website of the airline you are booking with. They might have some special procedures or fees to be aware of.

Thread Information