CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Regaining Lost Confidence

Regaining Lost Confidence
    By Sean Rea

To quote Bob Rotella, “Golf is not a game of perfect” (a great book on golf psychology if you like to read). This being said, confidence is a huge part of the game. Because golf is not a game of perfect there are many opportunities for your confidence to get shaken. According to Orlick (2000) confidence is one of the three cornerstones to excellence, in other words if your confidence gets shaky it affects your whole game.

How to regain lost confidence is one of the toughest areas to counsel athletes on because everyone is completely different in this area. First, practice, practice, practice, imagine yourself in a situation where your confidence has crumbled and then see yourself successfully rallying. Recreate in your minds-eye times when your confidence was shaken and you were successful in dealing with the situation and rallying.

Remember times outside of golf that this happened to you and the strategies you used to successfully deal with the situation. Try to transfer the skills from outside sport into your game. This practice will set up your ability to handle times that your confidence is shaken. By practising mentally for these time you will find that you handle the situation easier or that it is harder to shake your confidence.

Also practice what I refer to as living in the moment. This means not allowing stray thoughts to enter into you mind. Lack of confidence is usually caused allowing thoughts of poor performance or doubts to enter into your pre-shot preparation and actual shot. When you commit to doing something do it with 100% focus. This takes practice but can be achieved by realising what your triggers are that cause you loose focus and creating strategies to deal with it. Teach yourself to replace negative thoughts with positive self-affirming thoughts.

Remember each shot is brand new, do not view each hole as a series of shots linked together, take one at a time. By linking the shots together you are future thinking and not staying in the moment. Pick your target (something small and precise) and hit the target. This is not to say don’t plan how you are going to play the hole, plan and then execute each step as a separate unit. This allows you to make small gains that will boost your confidence, and also allows your confidence to take less of a hit if one shot is bad.

For short-term fixes on the course try:
    - Think in positive ways about your abilities.
    - Act as if you can do it…the physical/mental connection works both ways, usually by acting confidant you will regain your confidence.
    - Remember all of your successes from practice and prior games.
    - Always draw out lessons after each game in order to continually improve your game.
    - Imagine each shot as being on the practice range/green, there really is no difference. In this case play like you practice.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I just finished the Bob Rotella book (GOlf is not a game of perfect), and yes, it's all common sense but the way the author simplifies his approach it has a calming effect on me. he's not saying anything i dont know, in fact a lot of the times i can finish what he is going to say before i read forward. it's just a comforting book that helps put the negatives aside and think positive going forward. i recommend it.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I just finished the Bob Rotella book (GOlf is not a game of perfect), and yes, it's all common sense but the way the author simplifies his approach it has a calming effect on me. he's not saying anything i dont know, in fact a lot of the times i can finish what he is going to say before i read forward. it's just a comforting book that helps put the negatives aside and think positive going forward. i recommend it.
    Try to transfer the skills from outside sport into your game. HOW?
    practice, practice, practice, Practice what? HOW does one practice properly? ?
    Also practice what I refer to as living in the moment. HOW?
    When you commit to doing something do it with 100% focus. To play better golf one actually has to "defocus."
    ...but can be achieved by realising what your triggers are that cause you loose focus and creating strategies to deal with it. What strategies? HOW?
    Teach yourself to replace negative thoughts with positive self-affirming thoughts. HOW?

This may sound overly negative but the Rotella, Valiente et al stuff are great on ideas but generally, are sorely lacking on providing us with a definitive process for regaining the lost confidence. It's great that they indicate what you SHOULD do, but they must also tell us HOW to do it. These sources don't, however, they are easy reads on a snowy Sunday afternoon.

Instead, if one wants to learn how to develop the skills, turn them into habits and find a way that allows the subconscious habits to come out when one plays on the course, purchase and read "Double Connexion" by Carey Mumford, (www.clearkeygolf.com) It was the best $30 I ever spent on golf.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Rotella reminds me of Mr. Miage; telling Daniel-san to polish his car to learn karate. But ya, it was a light read on a snowy day.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Try to transfer the skills from outside sport into your game. HOW?
    practice, practice, practice, Practice what? HOW does one practice properly? ?
    Also practice what I refer to as living in the moment. HOW?
    When you commit to doing something do it with 100% focus. To play better golf one actually has to "defocus."
    ...but can be achieved by realising what your triggers are that cause you loose focus and creating strategies to deal with it. What strategies? HOW?
    Teach yourself to replace negative thoughts with positive self-affirming thoughts. HOW?

This may sound overly negative but the Rotella, Valiente et al stuff are great on ideas but generally, are sorely lacking on providing us with a definitive process for regaining the lost confidence. It's great that they indicate what you SHOULD do, but they must also tell us HOW to do it. These sources don't, however, they are easy reads on a snowy Sunday afternoon.

Instead, if one wants to learn how to develop the skills, turn them into habits and find a way that allows the subconscious habits to come out when one plays on the course, purchase and read "Double Connexion" by Carey Mumford, (www.clearkeygolf.com) It was the best $30 I ever spent on golf.
    I was in agreement with you in the past. They were really simple to follow, things that were in plain english, but there was no structure on how you implement them. However when I read Rotella's "The Golf of Your Dreams" I found it did a great job explaining at least the framework of how to accomplish the feat. It touches on both sides of the game; mental and physical. If you thought his other book was a good read, you will really enjoy the book.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I was in agreement with you in the past. They were really simple to follow, things that were in plain english, but there was no structure on how you implement them. However when I read Rotella's "The Golf of Your Dreams" I found it did a great job explaining at least the framework of how to accomplish the feat. It touches on both sides of the game; mental and physical. If you thought his other book was a good read, you will really enjoy the book.
    It has been a while since I read BR's books but admittedly, I do recall that in his last one, perhaps "Play The Golf of Your Dreams," he did seem to get it, a bit.

However, if you were to buy and read "Double Connexion" you might see that it is like Adam's masters thesis while the Rotella stuff is like kindergarten finger painting.

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road

you bet...short game has sky rocketed since 2004 with carey.

still fighting to get it into my full swing, but getting closer and closer.

the analyser with some driver...

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerdraw View Post
    you bet...short game has sky rocketed since 2004 with carey.

still fighting to get it into my full swing, but getting closer and closer.

the analyser with some driver...
    So let me get this straight - this book helps you to go into 'auto-pilot' on the golf course rather than teachnig technique?
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    So let me get this straight - this book helps you to go into 'auto-pilot' on the golf course rather than teachnig technique?
    The ebook does NOT teach any golf swing technique. Rather, it teaches you how to play AUTOMATIC/subconscious/nonconscious golf while on the range, by combining whatever it is you are trying to improve, (MANUAL) with a simple method of swinging without conscious golf thoughts. (AUTOMATIC) Then when you go to the course, you just play on AUTOMATIC.

The book gave me a better understanding of how our minds actually work and why the use of a clear key results in an increased chance of your superior subconscious swing, coming out when you play.

Many of the mental game books teach you how to deal with emotions or your reactions to various situations on the course, or like some of the Rotella axioms, tell you things to think about which are actually detrimental to your best performance. ("Think target" being a classic) Through the use of a clear key, thoughts about results, conscious swing thoughts, and emotions, are swept away.

The feeling of swinging using Clear Keys is like another golfer has taken over my mind and body and swings for me. He is obviously better than me, judging by the results. LA

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    The book gave me a better understanding of how our minds actually work and why the use of a clear key results in an increased chance of your superior subconscious swing, coming out when you play.
    What is a 'clear key'?

What is a 'clear key'?
    There is no way that I can do proper justice to what a clear key is and the reasoning behind the use of one but - A clear key is something that you "recite" from the time you put your hands on the club until you are watching the ball fly. You create your own clear key. Because you are not thinking about HOW to swing or the RESULTS of your shot, or the PRESSURE you may feel that you are under, the clear key eliminates all this "noise' from your mind and simple allows the swing that you have habitualized, to take place.

To understand fully, you need to read Carey's book. Here are just a few expressions from the book, to give you a slight taste. I don't think Carey would mind my using them.

Clear Keys

Prevent interruptions from anxiety
    Produce an automatic path for habits
    Releases habits
    Mirror the rhythm of the swing
    Deliver a quiet mind
    Support swing tempo
    Displace negative images
    Promote balance
    Allow full swing release
    Permit conscious management of unconscious process
    Foster relaxation
    Conserve energy
    Eliminate hacking in the head

A Clear key is
    An orderly, consistent conscious though patter that is:
    PASSIVE-no action command given or implied
    RHYTHMIC-capable of mirroring your swing
    FUN-makes you smile in the gut
    NEUTRAL-has no reference to your swing
    EXTENDED-long enough to start before the swing begins.

A CLEAR KEY contains no magic. It will not deliver a skill that has not reached maturity. It will only release what is already built into the shape and form of a habit, in response to the direction you provide in preshot.

CLEAR KEYS provide the AUTOMATIC PATH for the GUIDED and uninterrupted release of HABITS.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    I have often found, during a rut, if I start thinking about anything but my swing, I usually hit it well. I sometimes freak out my friends by talking during my own swing.
    Clearing your head, making sure you're stress/tension free, can do a lot for your game.

Of course this means that your swing has to be reproduced without thought - so many hours on a driving range.

To understand fully, you need to read Carey's book.
    You're right, I do need to read the book. It sounds like it would be helpful not only for golf, but for life in general.
    Another book for the Christmas list!

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    I have often found, during a rut, if I start thinking about anything but my swing, I usually hit it well. I sometimes freak out my friends by talking during my own swing.
    Clearing your head, making sure you're stress/tension free, can do a lot for your game.

Of course this means that your swing has to be reproduced without thought - so many hours on a driving range.
    Not necessarily so.

In your statement above you proved that the "Clear Key" concept works in that you (a) were not thinking about your swing and (b) were talking when swinging, (A Clear Key) and hit good shots. Doing so eliminated all the things listed earlier, that could possibly interfere with the performance of your current, subconscious swing.

What will improve your golf swing most, is not the volume of practice, but the quality of practice. In Carey's "Double Connexion," he has you practice using a "32 ball Routine." You make 4 swings consciously working on what it is you are trying to change, followed by 4 swings on your Clear Key. Repeat this 4 times, 32 balls, and then do something else, perhaps chip shots instead of full swings. There are reasons why 4 swings are used and that is explained in the book. In practicing this way you consciously work on your mechanics which is essential, but you also spend 50% of the time on Clear key, which is how you play on the course. Admittedly, giving up conscious control of your swing is a challenge, but there is no doubt that your subconscious swing is better that your conscious one, and that is the one that your playing partners, against whom you are playing for money, don't want to see.

BTW: There are better and easier ways to change/improve one's swing, than just hitting balls, that actually combine the Clear Key concept and the Bertholy routines, and is also in ebook form. Both are obviously non traditional, but both work very well and much of it is done in your own home, when it's cold and snowy outside. I can provide a link, if interested.

I can provide a link, if interested.
    I would be interested in having a look at that link if you can post it. Thanks.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    BTW: There are better and easier ways to change/improve one's swing, than just hitting balls, that actually combine the Clear Key concept and the Bertholy routines, and is also in ebook form. Both are obviously non traditional, but both work very well and much of it is done in your own home, when it's cold and snowy outside. I can provide a link, if interested.
    I have a david leadbeter book that I love and in this he says that he believes we spend too much time hitting balls. He advocates using lots of little drills, indoors at home or work, to help build a better swing. I've been doing lots of these the last couple of months and I believe they will help groove a better more repeatable swing. I think we can focus too much on hitting balls at the range, often meaninglessly.

I would be interested in having a look at that link if you can post it. Thanks.
    An internet friend and co-Bertholy and Clear Key advocate, Kevin McMullen, has written an ebook entitled "A Blueprint for Golf Excellence - Building a Swing You'll Never Forget."It combines the Bertholy exercises/programmes with Mumford's Clear Key concept, which IMO, is the best of both worlds. Kevin's work on the Bertholy aspect is better written that the Bertholy book itself and while his writing on how to also incorporate the Clear Key concept is easy to understand, I would suggest getting Mumford's "Double Connexion" as it is just excellent. To get a taste of Carey's writing, go to www.clearkeygolf.com and read the "Articles"(left hand side of the page)

You can contact Kevin at kmcmullen@authenticgolf.net and he will send you an FAQ and a Newsletter with information about his work. If you do, please let him know that Lyle sent you. Doing the prescribed exercises takes time and commitment, but they work. Not only will they aid in skill development, but most importantly, in habit formation, (skills and habits are very different) which is the ultimate goal.

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    I have a david leadbeter book that I love and in this he says that he believes we spend too much time hitting balls. He advocates using lots of little drills, indoors at home or work, to help build a better swing. I've been doing lots of these the last couple of months and I believe they will help groove a better more repeatable swing. I think we can focus too much on hitting balls at the range, often meaninglessly.
    Certainly doing various drills and aids won't hurt your swing and may help, but they have to be done in a certain manner in order to be most beneficial. Leadbetter and other guys, like Rick Smith et al, have a gazilion drills, but from where I sit and from what I have learned from other sources, many of the full swing drills just give an illusion of being helpful, (and sell books, too) However, putting and chipping drills would definitely improve that part of the game.
    This related article, may be of interest. http://www.clearkeygolf.com/Aids.htm

Thanks for providing that link BC, appreciated.

Putter mcirishman57 is on a distinguished road

Update - Now Have a Website in Lieu of Newletter and FAQ

An internet friend and co-Bertholy and Clear Key advocate, Kevin McMullen, has written an ebook entitled "A Blueprint for Golf Excellence - Building a Swing You'll Never Forget."It combines the Bertholy exercises/programmes with Mumford's Clear Key concept, which IMO, is the best of both worlds. Kevin's work on the Bertholy aspect is better written that the Bertholy book itself and while his writing on how to also incorporate the Clear Key concept is easy to understand, I would suggest getting Mumford's "Double Connexion" as it is just excellent. To get a taste of Carey's writing, go to www.clearkeygolf.com and read the "Articles"(left hand side of the page)

You can contact Kevin at kmcmullen@authenticgolf.net and he will send you an FAQ and a Newsletter with information about his work. If you do, please let him know that Lyle sent you. Doing the prescribed exercises takes time and commitment, but they work. Not only will they aid in skill development, but most importantly, in habit formation, (skills and habits are very different) which is the ultimate goal.
    Hi folks this is Kevin McMullen and I just thought I would update all on the progress being made on "information distribution". I now have a website and forum for the book. The link to the book page is: http://www.authenticgolf.net/index_files/page0001.htm and from there it is easy to navigate around the rest of the site. I also post under the same name on the Single Axis Golf Forum....can still email with any additonal questions and reading this post of Lyle's made me realize I never linked up my FAQ! DOH! so more work to be done. I'm new to webmaster stuff so if the site is clunky, well...it is what it is. I'm learning fast though!

So there ya have it.

Kevin

Thread Information