100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    That program is insane, who has that much time!!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    That program is insane, who has that much time!!
    it's a full time job!

when i was at university i printed that workout and tried to do it. after 2 hours in the gym i would only get through half of it and collapse. lol
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    That program is a bit intense!

I will just stick with teh one I am doing. and just add in a bit more stretching exercises. I found a couple good ones on youtube and around.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I'm using mastermoves right now to build core strength. It's actually fantastic for someone with pain limitations like me. And my abs are getting there.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

5 Iron semperfi45 is on a distinguished road semperfi45's Avatar
    You could do it if you had Arnie's juice.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    it's a full time job!

when i was at university i printed that workout and tried to do it. after 2 hours in the gym i would only get through half of it and collapse. lol
    Semper fi,
    [URL="http://www.swingsyncgolf.ca"]www.swingsyncgolf.ca[/URL]

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Iphone app - IFitness has a golf specific program..... for while in season. but I guess could be used while out of season.

Golf is more than just a game of leisure - it is now recognized as an athletic sport. As with all other athletic sports, your body's strength plays a crucial part in how well you play the game.

A strong body plays better golf. Any strength building workout can be beneficial to some degree, but a golf-specific exercise program enables you to hit longer - and straighter - drives with less effort. Your accuracy shall improve and consequently, your scores will lower.

This golf training program is to be performed 3 times per week while in season. Make sure to rest 1 min and 30 sec between each set. While this is a 3 day program make sure you place a day of rest between each workout.
    Flexibility is a significant par tof golf and a strict streching regime should be followed before and after each weight training session.

Day 1
    Abdominal twist - 3 sets and 10-12 reps
    Romanian Deadlift - 3 set and 8-10 reps
    Dumbbell Lunge - 3 sets and 8-10 reps
    Lat Pulldown - 3 sets and 8-10 reps
    Shrug - 3 sets and 10-12 reps
    Cable Triceps Pushdown - 3 sets and 8-10 reps
    twisting Crunch - 3 set and 8-10 reps

Day 2
    Cable Crossover - 3 set sand 8-10 reps
    Dumbbell Wrist Twist - 3 sets and 8-10 reps
    CAble Torso Rotation - 3 sets and 8-10 reps
    Seated Twist - 3 sets and 8-10 reps
    Swiss-ball oblique back extension - 3 sets and 8-10 reps
    Swiss-ball wall Squat - 3 sets and 8-10 reps

Day 3
    Dumbbell Calf Jump - 3 set s and 8-10 reps
    Rear Lateral Raise - 3 sets and 8-10 reps
    Corkscrew - 3 sets and 8-10 reps
    Arnold Press - 3 sets and 8-10 reps
    Cable Seated low row - 3 sets and 8-10 reps
    Pushup - 2 sets as many as possible

Enjoy !!

Tim
    Last edited by OutOfTheRough; 01-09-2010 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi45 View Post
    You could do it if you had Arnie's juice.
    Juice? Did Arnie Juice? i thought Arnie had an all natural diet?

Pitching Wedge Go4daPin is on a distinguished road
    squat til you puke.....

5 Iron semperfi45 is on a distinguished road semperfi45's Avatar
    Yes Arnie did take steroids. He also changed his program, and the amount of steroids he took. His trainers also believed in the body's ability to adapt. He was very successful. Mentally tough also.

Juice? Did Arnie Juice? i thought Arnie had an all natural diet?

Semper fi,
    [URL="http://www.swingsyncgolf.ca"]www.swingsyncgolf.ca[/URL]

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    I can definitely attest to the validity of working out to play better golf. One thing that I've learned since I started focusing on my 3 years ago is that patience is an absolute must. When you first start, you'll notice tremendous gains within a couple of workouts. However, once you get into it, the slope of improvement becomes incrementally smaller - even with alternating your workouts to avoid the plateau. I've managed to gain 20 pounds in 3 years (while maintaining the same pant size - just to pre-empt the 'pot' shots ). If you think about it, it's less than a pound a month. Not that quick.

The first thing I did was sign up for a year of Mike Pedersen's website, and I found it to help. However, after cancelling my re-newal but still getting charged $100 american, and trying to deal with him over e-mail for 6 weeks for a refund I'm a bit jaded.

Another great website I found is http://www.exrx.net. It's a little less flashly, and more academic journal-driven, but it's the only site I use. For those of us who want to workout, but find it hard tracking down the time in our lives, here is a great article from the site regarding low-volume training:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/L...eTraining.html

In sum, the article reviews a few studies which showed that the strength and muscle gains displayed after any set above and beyond your first set was neglible (NB: they do suggest doing one practice set at 50% of your max). That being said, for the staggering majority of us, one or two sets of high intensity weight training may be all we need. The purpose of resistance training is to promote the micro-tears in muscle tissue. Once these occur, hormonal activation for repair begins. From here, proper rest and adequate nutrition dictates how much you'll benefit from your workouts - not necessarily spending more time in the gym.

Lastly, without a doubt the best thing I've discovered for my golf game was yoga. 90 minute exercises that focus on relaxation training, balance, strength, and flexibility. If you've never tried it, the postures seem easy. I've taken some of the most physically fit people I know to hot yoga classes, and they could not believe how challenging it can be. The athletics department at Carleton contracted an instructor to come give the varsity athletes free classes two years ago - a buddy of mine from the golf team and I went, and almost couldn't finish the class. The great part is the non-judgemental atmosphere, where you are essentially forced to work on your 'mental game'.

My favorite place to go is Rama Lotus on Gladstone Ave. between Bank and O'Connor: http://www.ramalotus.com. If you're out in the west end, a place just opened in the Jackson Trails shopping plaza in Stittsville - not sure what it's called though.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    been on a workout program for about 8 months now. weight training 4 times a week / cardio 4 times/ core traing 4 times and do yoga on off days. At the end of the season last year the gains I made with the driver and irons were amazing. mentaly I was 100% better.... went from being tired at the end of a round to to running 5k after when I got home! looking forward to this summer!

went from 255lbs to 187lbs right now

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Good for you man!!

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Good for you man!!
    thanks

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adska View Post
    I can definitely attest to the validity of working out to play better golf. One thing that I've learned since I started focusing on my 3 years ago is that patience is an absolute must. When you first start, you'll notice tremendous gains within a couple of workouts. However, once you get into it, the slope of improvement becomes incrementally smaller - even with alternating your workouts to avoid the plateau. I've managed to gain 20 pounds in 3 years (while maintaining the same pant size - just to pre-empt the 'pot' shots ). If you think about it, it's less than a pound a month. Not that quick.

The first thing I did was sign up for a year of Mike Pedersen's website, and I found it to help. However, after cancelling my re-newal but still getting charged $100 american, and trying to deal with him over e-mail for 6 weeks for a refund I'm a bit jaded.

Another great website I found is http://www.exrx.net. It's a little less flashly, and more academic journal-driven, but it's the only site I use. For those of us who want to workout, but find it hard tracking down the time in our lives, here is a great article from the site regarding low-volume training:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/L...eTraining.html

In sum, the article reviews a few studies which showed that the strength and muscle gains displayed after any set above and beyond your first set was neglible (NB: they do suggest doing one practice set at 50% of your max). That being said, for the staggering majority of us, one or two sets of high intensity weight training may be all we need. The purpose of resistance training is to promote the micro-tears in muscle tissue. Once these occur, hormonal activation for repair begins. From here, proper rest and adequate nutrition dictates how much you'll benefit from your workouts - not necessarily spending more time in the gym.

Lastly, without a doubt the best thing I've discovered for my golf game was yoga. 90 minute exercises that focus on relaxation training, balance, strength, and flexibility. If you've never tried it, the postures seem easy. I've taken some of the most physically fit people I know to hot yoga classes, and they could not believe how challenging it can be. The athletics department at Carleton contracted an instructor to come give the varsity athletes free classes two years ago - a buddy of mine from the golf team and I went, and almost couldn't finish the class. The great part is the non-judgemental atmosphere, where you are essentially forced to work on your 'mental game'.

My favorite place to go is Rama Lotus on Gladstone Ave. between Bank and O'Connor: http://www.ramalotus.com. If you're out in the west end, a place just opened in the Jackson Trails shopping plaza in Stittsville - not sure what it's called though.
    That website is a great resource; thanks Adam.

No worries dude! Hope you're killin' your last year... Let's make a point to get out for a few games again this summer - no drinking during tournaments!!

this week i did squats for the first time in 4 months. as a result i haven't been able to walk in 2 days. it feels like someone gave me a charlie-horse on both thigh muscles, and my butt's sore too.

Last edited by nokids; 03-05-2010 at 10:16 PM.

4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar
    You too eh...did my first lunges since September, boy did it burn, and it took me 3 days to recover, at 59 recovery time ain't what it use to be . Next is to work off the extra winter fat. Looks like I have to work harder since the courses might be opening early. Come'on springtime.

Quote Originally Posted by poppadon56 View Post
    You too eh...did my first lunges since September, boy did it burn, and it took me 3 days to recover, at 59 recovery time ain't what it use to be . Next is to work off the extra winter fat. Looks like I have to work harder since the courses might be opening early. Come'on springtime.

at least you had recovery at some point, i'm almost half your age with none.

for those of you who go to the gym to get stronger, do you find that you lose agility in your golf swing?
    i've been going to the gym all winter and when i swing a golf club i feel very unagile. should i lift less weights and go for higher reps? or should i put more time into improving my flexibility than i do in pumping iron?

i want to have a graceful swanlike swing, but i swing like conan the barbarian.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    for those of you who go to the gym to get stronger, do you find that you lose agility in your golf swing?
    i've been going to the gym all winter and when i swing a golf club i feel very unagile. should i lift less weights and go for higher reps? or should i put more time into improving my flexibility than i do in pumping iron?

i want to have a graceful swanlike swing, but i swing like conan the barbarian.

What was your intention of being at the gym? Were you trying to bulk up and put on muscle or were you just trying to get toned/fit/stronger?

If you've been bulking up and putting on lots of muscle, yes you will lose some flexibility. You just have to make sure you actually put some time aside to make sure you do lots of stretching to try and keep most of your flexibility.

On a side note, I can really see the improvements from my winter months of lifting weights. In preparation for the upcoming season I went out and picked up some X-100 shafts to go into my new Srixons. My thinking was that I was getting stronger and S300s wouldn't cut it anymore. Granted, this was more wishful thinking on my part. But worst case scenario, if they didn't work, I could always find some more S300s. Well I'm pleased to say they work just fine. And to be honest, I think I actually gained some yards with the irons.

If the yardages at Haime's are accurate, and with a hurting left to right wind, I was hitting 7 irons over 162yds, LWs over 94yds and 9 irons overs 144yds. These were close to my yardages last year, but with S300 shafts and on a windless day. This season should be interesting.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

i go to the gym to increase my strength, so that i will hit the ball farther, not to bulk up. but i think bulking up will happen anyway.

also, i bought some irons last november without any idea of the shafts that came with them. (project-x 6.0). from what i've read, they're apparently really stiff and it takes a very strong swing to play with them, so i'm at the gym trying to become strong enough to play with them.

i went about this all backwards. lol.

i go to the gym to increase my strength, so that i will hit the ball farther, not to bulk up. but i think bulking up will happen anyway.

also, i bought some irons last november without any idea of the shafts that came with them. (project-x 6.0). from what i've read, they're apparently really stiff and it takes a very strong swing to play with them, so i'm at the gym trying to become strong enough to play with them.

i went about this all backwards. lol.

True, you will put on a bit of bulk regardless. But if you are just looking to get stronger and build muscle endurance, then lighter weights and higher reps are the way to go. I do a mix of both. One week of heavy weights and low reps, then one week of lighter weights and higher reps. I've put on a bit of muscle, but not too much. Strength has increased dramatically. I've put on almost 75-80lbs on my bench in approx. 8-9 months.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    True, you will put on a bit of bulk regardless. But if you are just looking to get stronger and build muscle endurance, then lighter weights and higher reps are the way to go. I do a mix of both. One week of heavy weights and low reps, then one week of lighter weights and higher reps. I've put on a bit of muscle, but not too much. Strength has increased dramatically. I've put on almost 75-80lbs on my bench in approx. 8-9 months.

Thanks johnny. i'll try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post

If the yardages at Haime's are accurate, and with a hurting left to right wind, I was hitting 7 irons over 162yds, LWs over 94yds and 9 irons overs 144yds. These were close to my yardages last year, but with S300 shafts and on a windless day. This season should be interesting.
    FYI - the yardages at Haime's are anywhere from 8 to 15 yards exaggerated. I was responsible for lasering each bay when I worked there, and Kevin added the distance to each. His reasoning was that he hit regular balls farther than the range balls, and would rather give everyone an estimate of how far they would hit it on the course using a premium ball.

Sure.....burst my bubble. regardless, still seemed and felt like I was hitting the ball well.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    You want a lean, strong and athletic body? This is the perfect workout for every golfer. Most train with weights and it changes very little. What you need to do for golf is be flexible, lean and fit. This workout plan needs no weights. Click on this link for an insane workout for better living. Click on the video on the top left.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...20100326151149
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    You want a lean, strong and athletic body? This is the perfect workout for every golfer. Most train with weights and it changes very little. What you need to do for golf is be flexible, lean and fit. This workout plan needs no weights. Click on this link for an insane workout for better living. Click on the video on the top left.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...20100326151149

Have you done this program? I've been trying to find a way to get in better shape myself, but I lose interest in almost any form of fitness routine (other than sports). I've seen this advertised a couple times and thought it might be worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Have you done this program? I've been trying to find a way to get in better shape myself, but I lose interest in almost any form of fitness routine (other than sports). I've seen this advertised a couple times and thought it might be worth a shot.
    No I wave not done it because I’m trying to put on weight instead of losing weight. I’m very fit and train regularly but I have done P90X last year and both programs come from the same source. This is a no weights intense cardio workout with an eating plan. P90X in also insane but you need equipment. All you need with Insane is willpower. It’s only 60 days and I can assure you it works if you stick to it. The program looks like P90X but condensed. One hour a day at home is all you need.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I'm not really concerned about losing weight, nor do I really care about putting any on. Of course, it couldn't hurt for me to bulk up a little, but it really is not a priority. I'm really just looking to improve my cardio so that I can go all out for a 60 or 90 minute soccer game. This program might be worth a shot

This program will do it. Losing weight should happen depending on your body composition. While doing P90X I went down to 8% body fat. Obviously if you have anything over 15% body fat this training will make you lose weight if you want it or not unless you don’t eat properly obviously.

I have the Insane program and my wife is starting it next week. The plyometrix cardio workout is unbelievable and perfect for soccer, hockey, basketball….

Thread Information