CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    9 Iron gerrythegrea is on a distinguished road

getting fitted and $$

Hi there

I have been contemplating getting fitted but have been delaying due to $$. My golf budget is limited and I have a preconceived notion that it will cost me an arm and a leg.

anyone have the same predicament? what did you end up doing?

The reason for the fitting is that I am hitting fat and doing research about the Ping system I have noticed that I probably should have shorter shafts as my floor to wrist measurement is 31.5 inches

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    thinking of a fitting myself ,there are several certified Ping fitters in the city.
    Average cost is ~$75 but if you purchase clubs from them they will most likely waive the cost of the session.

2 Iron luigicactus is on a distinguished road
    Hi, I've done a full fitting with Downhillslider (on this forum) and I have no regret what so ever. The whole process took a couple of weeks. 3 visits I believe. First he took some measurement and he had me hit my own clubs and some of his demos shaft, club heads all on the flightscope. I left a couple of my irons so he could measure them (lenght, flex, swingweight and all).
    Second visit he had prep a few option (recommended shaft and some different heads) with proper lie angle.
    Made my choice after probably more than 1h on the flightscope.
    I ended up with readjusting the lie of my own wedges and Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 4 iron. New Wishon 5-PW, 3 hybrid and 4 wood (kept my driver).
    All for less than going OEM and top quality products.
    As for results, for a guy not practicing, playing 1 time a week (or every other week) and crappy short game, my HCP went from 15.4 to 9.7 in a full season.
    The proper shaft and lie angle made a huge difference in my consistency!
    Fitting is the way to go. And with a professional using quality components, it is not (much) more expensive (if not less) than off the shelves at Golftown. Plus you will want to keep your clubs as they are made for you...
    Hope that helps

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Plus you will want to keep your clubs as they are made for you...
    This is 100% true. If fitted properly you won't need (or want) new clubs for a very long time
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luigicactus View Post
    Hi, I've done a full fitting with Downhillslider (on this forum) and I have no regret what so ever. The whole process took a couple of weeks. 3 visits I believe. First he took some measurement and he had me hit my own clubs and some of his demos shaft, club heads all on the flightscope. I left a couple of my irons so he could measure them (lenght, flex, swingweight and all).
    Second visit he had prep a few option (recommended shaft and some different heads) with proper lie angle.
    I ended up with readjusting the lie of my own wedges and Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 4 iron. New Wishon 5-PW, 3 hybrid and 4 wood (kept my driver).
    As for results, for a guy not practicing, playing 1 time a week (or every other week) and crappy short game, my HCP went from 15.4 to 9.7 in a full season.
    Fitting is the way to go. And with a professional using quality components, it is not (much) more expensive (if not less) than off the shelves at Golftown. Plus you will want to keep your clubs as they are made for you...
    Hope that helps
    Les has done some work for me as well and always does a great job.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thanks for the reply
    Quote Originally Posted by luigicactus View Post
    Hope that helps

Funny you should.mention PING.
    Have you used their fitting tool online yo give you an idea? It says I should get red dot which is .75 flat I think?
    Also it recommends I get .5 short shafts. I know this doesnt replace a proper fitting but it is interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by cleek View Post
    thinking of a fitting myself ,there are several certified Ping fitters in the city.
    Average cost is ~$75 but if you purchase clubs from them they will most likely waive the cost of the session.

as of today I am loyal to Ping, I have used the online tool but if I plan on dropping good coin on a set of new Ping irons in the coming months I want to get fitted to be sure. I also want to get fitted during the golf season and not during the winter when my mechanics would be sloppier.

Quote Originally Posted by cleek View Post
    as of today I am loyal to Ping, I have used the online tool but if I plan on dropping good coin on a set of new Ping irons in the coming months I want to get fitted to be sure. I also want to get fitted during the golf season and not during the winter when my mechanics would be sloppier.
    I have heard that some fitters will price match?

was at KH today and inquired re: fitting. I was told that they will match GT on price and provide complimentary buckets if you do a fitting and purchase clubs through them.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrythegrea View Post
    Hi there

The reason for the fitting is that I am hitting fat and doing research about the Ping system I have noticed that I probably should have shorter shafts as my floor to wrist measurement is 31.5 inches
    Have you ever tried gripping down? You can use masking tape or foot spray or impact decals for the purpose of finding the right length for you.
    Nothing equals an extensive fitting such as mentioned by Cactus above versus just a retrofit. Just so you know. Golfworks on Industrial in Ottawa has a whole bunch of 6 irons built to different lengths from extra long to extra short. With the help of impact decals you can hit all of them until you find the right length for you. The cost is probably peanuts. Speak with Brendan.
    As for Ping they will usually retrofit any irons for free and will even change the dot colour. All you have to do is to pay for shipping. I also believe you can take them to GT and they will check the lie angles for you and send them to Ping if needed.
    Good luck

Not sure if this includes shortening the shafts if needed.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Have you ever tried gripping down? You can use masking tape or foot spray or impact decals for the purpose of finding the right length for you.
    Nothing equals an extensive fitting such as mentioned by Cactus above versus just a retrofit. Just so you know. Golfworks on Industrial in Ottawa has a whole bunch of 6 irons built to different lengths from extra long to extra short. With the help of impact decals you can hit all of them until you find the right length for you. The cost is probably peanuts. Speak with Brendan.
    As for Ping they will usually retrofit any irons for free and will even change the dot colour. All you have to do is to pay for shipping. I also believe you can take them to GT and they will check the lie angles for you and send them to Ping if needed.
    Good luck

Not sure if this includes shortening the shafts if needed.

did a PING fitting at Kevin Haime w/ Jake Haime , a very positive experience.
    Ordered a new set of PING G irons and have gone from black dot , reg flex to blue dot (1 degree upright) , stiff AWT shafts. My current PING set was bought an OG forum seller, no fitting done.

I would recommend a fitting if you are going to take the plunge on buying new clubs, I should have done this years ago.

+ KH will price match ....

Thread Information