100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar

Interesting Poll

I was watching Sportsnet News this morning, and they had one of their viewer polls asking what sports feat is the hardest. Winning the Grand Slam of Golf was one, and scoring 50 goals in 50 games was another, there were a few others, but most were just kind of trivial.

Anyways, the viewers voted that scoring 50 goals in 50 games was the hardest thing to accomplish. I couldn't believe this. 50 goals in 50 games has been done, and while it might be hard to do now, no one has ever won the Grand Slam ( of the modern era ). It is almost impossible, and I seriously doubt that any of us will ever witness it in our lives. With the changes to hockey we might see 50 in 50 next season, you never know, but a Grand Slam is something that is almost unattainable. I think anyways.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    I totally agree with you!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I'd like to hear what the other options were. I believe there are things that are harder than winning the Grand Slam.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Winning the tour de france 7 times after having cancer...oh wait...that could happen this year.
    Back at it.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I'd like to hear what the other options were. I believe there are things that are harder than winning the Grand Slam.

Dan
    I think so too, but there is a point that no one has ever done it so it's gotta be hard. I think what Lance Armstrong has done is incredible especially coming back from having cancer. Cal Ripken's iron man record is another one. All records are meant to be broken and winning the slam will be done, in our life time I have to say yes because right now we are witnessing one of the greatest golfers ever. Sort of like how we got to see #99 in hockey and #23 in basketball. I strongly have to disagree with the poll, but it's a little biased because it was a Canadian sports channel asking Canadians, if it were in the States obviously the results would have been different.

the other things in the poll were nothing spectacular. They were all things that had been done. That's why I say the Grand Slam is the toughest, because it has never been done.

I'm not saying the Grand Slam is easy, but when asking a poll, comparing how difficult something is to accomplish, you must have only choices that have been accomplished, or else you may as well just make up ridiculous options.

What is harder?
    a - 50 goals in 50 games
    b - eating the sun
    c - breathing underwater with no equipment
    d - pulling your bottom lip over your head

To me, this poll is just as valid as asking if the Grand Slam is harder than scoring 50g in 50 gp. We KNOW how hard (or rare) it is for someone to do the latter, but because the first one has never been done, it's not comparable.

Again, just my opinion...

Dan

9 Iron scottymac is on a distinguished road scottymac's Avatar
    How About Bret Favre!
    Ithinck He's Around 180 Straight Starts For Green Bay
    SCOTT

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Wasn't there an urban myth about Russian military developpment of a man with gills during the cold war era?

I think the grand slam of golf is much less likely that 50 goals in 50 games. We all know as gospel truth that golf is WAAAAY more difficult than anything else.

alice
    Winning the Slam is harder as once they play the Masters then there is only one person who could feasably do it. If you didn't win the Masters then winning the US Open, British Open and PGA Championship are only that but not the Grand Slam.
    Scoring 50 in 50 opens the door to literally any player on any of the teams who plays 50 games in a season. (when they are actually playing hockey, if & when, that is!)

exactly, my whole point about it was that most people don't realize how difficult something like winning the GSG (i'm not typing it out anymore) really is. That's why no one has ever done it. People have come close, but it's never been done.

Quote Originally Posted by wopstergolf
    exactly, my whole point about it was that most people don't realize how difficult something like winning the GSG (i'm not typing it out anymore) really is. That's why no one has ever done it. People have come close, but it's never been done.
    I think everyone realizes that to this point it has proven impossible. Therefore the poll is asking us to pick between something that is possible and something that is impossible (or has been historically). That means that "winning the GSG" is not a valid option in the poll in my opinion....

Dan

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    You can score 50 goals in 50 games and still manage to play poorly in a few games. You cannot play poorly in any of the major if you want to win the slam.

Therefore the poll is asking us to pick between something that is possible and something that is impossible (or has been historically). That means that "winning the GSG" is not a valid option in the poll in my opinion....

Dan
    Lets ask this then:

What is harder winning the Slam or beating Wayne’s 50 goals in 39 games? You can’t slouch in any game to beat that!!!!

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

They are equally as difficult because nobody has done it...

If anything, I'd say the hockey one is harder because it also depends on teammates. Gretzky wasn't the only player on those Oiler teams with some talent.... Hell, there's a good chance any of us would score 50 goals if we played with Mark Messier, Jari Kurri, Glenn Anderson, Paul Coffey and company...

Dan

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    They are equally as difficult because nobody has done it...

If anything, I'd say the hockey one is harder because it also depends on teammates. Gretzky wasn't the only player on those Oiler teams with some talent.... Hell, there's a good chance any of us would score 50 goals if we played with Mark Messier, Jari Kurri, Glenn Anderson, Paul Coffey and company...

Dan
    Ya...even Jagr..
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Ya...even Jagr..
    Jagr hasn't done it because he plays in a different era. Scoring goals in the 80s was a whole different beast...

Only player I could see doing it today would be Ilya Kovalchuk or possibly Rick Nash if he ever gets on a line with Nik Zherdev. We'll have to see what the NEW NHL looks like.

Dan

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Scoring 50 goals in 50 games!

What are the odds any player even plays 50 games anymore?
    It seems to me,since Marc Recci,there havent been very many
    50 game streches.
    We may see the slam first!
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    Scoring 50 goals in 50 games!

What are the odds any player even plays 50 games anymore?
    It seems to me,since Marc Recci,there havent been very many
    50 game streches.
    We may see the slam first!
    Yashin barely missed ANY games for injury reasons... Lots of players play full seasons. The stars seem less and less able because of the cruddy physical nonsense that goes on in NHL hockey, but guys get a bum rap. They're tougher than most people think!

And Mark Recchi? Did he hold an Ironman streak of some sort? For some reason I had him penned in more as an injury-guy... I guess 3 seasons in a row without missing a game is good... Yashin did 4, interrupted by a one year holdout... 3 then 1. Marian Hossa has missed no more than 4 games per season for the last 5 seasons... I guess it's rare, but it's not unheard of...

Has anyone beaten Doug Jarvis (I think he holds the record, but I could be wrong) yet?

Cheers,
    Dan

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    a - 50 goals in 50 games
    Sounds hard.

b - eating the sun
    The sun eats the sun.

Fish do it easily.

I think you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    a - 50 goals in 50 games
    Sounds hard.

b - eating the sun
    The sun eats the sun.

Fish do it easily.

I think you can do it.

Nice one.

Dan

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    What is harder?
    a - 50 goals in 50 games
    b - eating the sun
    Dan
    LMAO. That's the best poll ever!! I'm going to answer (d). Although in time, with a lot of stretching it could be possible.
    I think I could score 50 goals in 50 games in my beer league. We only play 20 and I probably had 25 goals last year.

Thread Information