Applying Slope

Slope Ratings range from a high of 152 for Pine Valley Golf Club down to 55 for very short executive length golf courses. Approximately 50% of golf courses rated by the USGA have Slope Ratings between 100 and 120.

After the Slope Ratings have been determined by a rating team, each golfer's handicap is converted to a decimal Handicap Index, which is the handicap that would be developed by always playing an average Slope course (113) such as "Perfect Valley." For each round played, a golfer's Handicap Differential is computed according to the previous procedure (score minus the scratch rating), but modified for the Slope Rating of the course ((Score minus scratch rating) x 113/Slope) . Handicap Differentials from high slope play will be reduced proportionately, while low slope differentials will be increased. The end result is that all handicaps are comparable, no matter where the players develop them.

Before the introduction of Slope, players with the ability of a 15 handicap might have developed a 20 USGA Handicap at Pebble Beach or only a 10 USGA Handicap at the easy "Open Flats." Through the Slope System, however, the Handicap Index of each of these players would be a 15.0. The Handicap Index travels with the golfer wherever the golfer plays.

The maximum index allowed is 36.4 for men and 40.4 for women. For men with the maximum index, the course handicap could exceed 48 on a high Slope course.

What is My Handicap At Another Course ?
Before you can determine what your course handicap is for any given round, you must know:
  • your index
  • the slope of the set of tees you'll be playing
  • How to convert that index to a course handicap on the conversion chart.
Courses that have been Slope rated will have conversion charts (located near the first tee) for each set of tee markers. Your course handicap will appear on the chart beside your index, for the course and tees you are playing.

As an example, looking at the chart below, if your index is 17.3, your course handicap would be 14 on the low Slope course, and 21 on the high Slope course.

What if someone without an index comes to my course?
They use their RCGA or USGA approved handicap only. Do not use the conversion chart unless the person has an approved index.

What if I forget to record the score at an "away" course, or if the course is on a different computer system than my course?
When you return to your home course, record the score. At that time you must record the course and the Slope ratings of the "away" course, as well as your score.