Famous (and not so famous) Quotes
Compiled By OttawaGolf

What others may find in poetry or an art museum, I find in the flight of a good drive - Arnold Palmer

Undulation is the soul of golf - H. N. Wethered

The spirit of golf is to dare a hazard, and in negotiating it, reap a reward. - George C Tomas

Like pool, golf is primarily a game of position. - Robert Trent Jones Jr.

The real trick of golf course architecture is to lure the golfer into a false sense of security. - Pete Dye

Golf architects can't play golf themselves and make damn sure no one else can. - unknown

The reason the pro tells you to keep you read down is so you can't see him laughing - Phyllis Diller

Never bet against anyone you meet on the first tee who has a deep suntan, a one iron in his bag, and squinty eyes. - Dave Marr

Victory is everything. You can spend the money, but you can never spend the memories. - Ken Venturi

Until you play it St Andrews it looks like the sort of real estate you couldn't give away. - Sam Snead

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

First you teach a golfer to hook the ball by using his hands and arms properly. Then you teach him how to take the hook away by using his body and legs properly. - Harvey Penick

The addiction of 50% of all golfers. Slice: The weakness of the other half. - Jim Bishop

The practice tee; a place for golfers to go to convert a nasty hook into a wicked slice. - Henry Beard

Playing golf is a bit like carving a turkey... you need to have your slice under control. - Harry Toscanno

It takes so long to realize that you can't always replicate your swing. The only thing you can control is your attitude towards your next shot. - Mark McCumber.

It does not matter if you look like a beast before or after the hit, as long as you look like a beauty at the moment of impact. - Seve Ballesteros

Golf is an exasperating struggle, a succession of failures interrupted by periodic moments of bliss. - Columnist Jerry Sullivan

A hit must be perfectly timed, but a swing will time itself. - Grantland Rice

The golf swing is like a suitcase into which we are trying to pack too many items. - John Updike

Remember that it is possible to over-golf yourself. Two rounds a day is enough for any man with a week or more of solid golf in front of him. - Horace G. Hutchinson, 1896

It is statute and ordained that in na place of the Realme there be used Flute-ball, golfe or uther sik unproffitable sportes. James IV of Scotland, 1491 (sic)

95% of this game mental. If a guy plays lousy golf, he does not need a pro, he needs a shrink. - Tom Murphy

Golf is a game of explicatives not deleted. - Dr Irving A Gladstone.

Hundreds of years of experience has demonstrated that the game is temporary insanity, practiced in a cow pasture. - Dave Kindred.

When you fall in love with golf, it is never easy; it is obsession at first sight. - Thomas Boswell

The game of golf is 90% mental, the other 10% is mental. - Mulligan's laws

After you get the basics down, it's all mental. - Ken Venturi

I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father. - Greg Norman

Golf is a way of testing ourselves while enjoying ourselves. - Arnold Palmer

If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play at it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf. - Bob Hope

Golf is like a grindstone - whether it grinds you down or polishes you up, depends on what you are made of. - English Saying

Golf puts a man's character to the anvil and his richest qualities patience - poise, and restraint, to the flame. - Billy Casper

Golf is the favorite game of Scotland. It is played everywhere. It is too slow a game, however, for Canada. We would go to sleep over it. - John B. MacLean, 1891

Golf is like a love affair: If you don’t take it seriously, it’s not any fun. If you take it seriously, it will break your heart. - Arthur Daly

Golf is the hardest sport... One day you are on cloud nine, and the next you couldn't scratch a whale's belly. - Sam Sneed

Golf may be played on Sunday, not being a game within the view of the law, but being a form of moral effort. - Stephem Leacock

Golf is game where guts, stick-to-itiveness and blind devotion will always net you absolutely nothing but an ulcer. - Tommy Bolt

Professional golfers are gypsies in polyester sportswear: conservative family men leading a radical lifestyle, they are independent businessmen whose offices are the fairways and greens of the world’s top courses. - Paul McLaughlin

It’s one of those unintended consequences of the game. You go out to make pars, and you make friends. - Lorne Rubenstein

Golf encourages a dream state. It allows our minds and imagination to roam. Golf encourages reverie. To be part of golf is to come upon stories, to become a story, to tell stories. - Lorne Rubenstein

Golf is an awkward set of bodily contortions designed to produce a graceful result. - Tommy Armour

Golf is a non-violent game played violently from within. - Bob Toski

I'm in the woods so much I can tell you which plants are edible. - Lee Trevino

Golf is a game who's aim it is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose. - Winston Churchill

You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars with only two in your pocket. - Lee Trevino

I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them. - Harry Tofcano

Golf is a good walk spoiled. - Mark Twain

Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore', shoot six and write down five. - Paul Harvey

Golf is a game where guts and blind devotion will always net you absolutely nothing but an ulcer. -Tommy Bolt

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course, the space between your ears. - Bobby Jones

I play with friends, but we don't play friendly games. - Ben Hogan

The golf swing is like sex. You can't be thinking about the mechanics of the act while you are performing. - Dave Hill

If there is any larceny in man, golf will bring it out. - Unknown

Relax? How can anybody relax and play golf? You have to grip the club don't you? - Ben Hogan

The harder you work, the luckier you get. - Gary Player

The only shots you can be dead sure of are those you've had already. - Byron Nelson

The fun you get from golf is in direct ratio to the effort you don't put into it. - Bob Allen

The greatest liar in the world is the golfer who claims he plays the game for merely exercise. - Tommy Bolt

Most golfers prepare for disaster. A good golfer prepares for success. - Bob Toski

A lot of guys who have never choked, have never been in the position to do so. -Tom Watson

Golf and sex are about the only things you can enjoy without being good at. - Jimmy Demaret

I'm going to win so much money this year, my caddie will make the top twenty money-winners list. - Unknown

If you want to beat someone out on the golf course, just get him mad. - Dave Willaims

If you try to fight the course, it will beat you. - Lou Graham

Putts get real difficult the day they hand out the money. - Lee Trevino

It's nice to have the opportunity to play for so much money, but it's nicer to win it. - Patty Sheenan

If you travel first class, you think first class and you are more likely to play first class. - Ray Floyd

It's the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on. - Lee Trevino

The players themselves can be classified into two groups- the attractions and the entry fees. - Jimmy Demaret

Let's see, I think I right now I'm third in the money-winning and first in money-spending. -Tony Lema

There are no points for style when it comes to putting. It's getting the ball in the cup that counts. - Brian Swarbrick

You've just got one problem. You stand too close to the ball after you've hit it. - Sam Snead

Golf is based on honesty, where else would you admit to a seven on a par three? - Jimmy Demaret

The number one thing about trouble is... don't get into more. - Dave Stockton

Mulligan: invented by a Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder. - Jim Bishop

No one who ever had lessons would have a swing like mine. - Lee Trevino

Golf is 90 percent inspiration and 10 percent perspiration. - Johnny Miller

Golf is an ideal diversion, but a ruinous disease. - Bertie Charles Forbes

Lay off for three weeks, and then quit for good." Sam Snead

Golf is the hardest game in the world to play, and the easiest to cheat at. - Dave Hill

I've made a million, but I don't have a million. - Walt Zambriski

In golf as in life, it's the follow through that makes the difference. - Unknown

Golf is a fine relief from the tensions of office, but we are a little tired of holding the bag. - Adlai Stevenson

If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball. - Jack Lemmon

If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf. - Bob Hope

If I had my way, any man guilty of golf would be ineligible for any office of trust in the United States. - H.L. Mencken

Golf is twenty percent mechanics and technique. The other eighty percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness, and conversation. - Grantland Rice