CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New posts-

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

A whole bunch of new posts with no replies allowed. I am sure straight ball golf and Artisan Golf will be thrilled. What's up with that?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    These articles have been on the site for years. I am moving them into the forums so they will be indexed for searches.

I am sure straight ball golf and Artisan Golf will be thrilled.
    Not sure what you mean by that. Anyone who wants to contribute an article is welcome to do so.

Some of these articles are old and signed by EC or LM which imo is not fair to your other sponsors. They could easily be interpreted as plugs imo. I quickly went over and most of them are quite interesting. Hopefully you won't remove them before I read them all. It would have been nice to be able to respond though. Take this one for example. Scroll to the bottom and check out the yardage distance for wedges. It reads 100 yards which does not hold true by today's standards. I personally hit my pitching wege 140 yards and my sand wedge 110 yards. They have been beefed up sure as I gain 10 yards with the new clubs. Anyway the average pw distance nowadays is 130 yards. Therefore the article needs to be updated. There is another one on gear effect. With today's new technology the bulge and roll have been decreased substantially therefore not that big of a deal nowadays. Cheers.
    http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=9076

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    I'm confused, what are you gentlemen talking about in this thread?
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

I just reread the said article and it does not mention titanium wood heads. See for yourself.

Types of Woods

Persimmon
    When a driver is made out of wood there are basically two types of wood used--persimmon and maple. Solid heads are usually persimmon while laminated ("plywood") heads are usually maple. Persimmon heads are made by using a sophisticated turning machine. The process is much like making a duplicate key for a lock. The second, and most commonly used, wood is laminated maple. Generally, 1/16-inch veneers of maple are laminated together much like a sheet of plywood. Then the veneers are heated and pressurised, and finally turned like the persimmon heads. While many golfers indicate that they have a more solid feel at impact with persimmon heads, studies show no support of this. Other golfers prefer the laminated maple, reasoning that they last longer. Presently it costs roughly three times as much to use persimmon as it does laminated maple.

Investment cast
    Metal heads have gained popularity, mainly because of the added control of peripheral weighting (which was not a true design goal, but a product of the casting process to achieve proper weight). The stainless steel heads are cast hollow to restrict excessive weight, and usually filled with polyurethane to muffle impact noise. Metal "wood" heads have also been noted as adding distance to center and off-center shots.

Graphite
    The same material that is used for graphite shafts is also used to make graphite heads. There are two subtle variances in manufacturing techniques. In one case, the graphite is mixed with an ABS plastic, and is injection moulded into a head. In the second version the graphite is given an epoxy base and the mixture is compression moulded. Graphite heads are manufactured with the same weight as the wood and metal heads, but are generally much larger than conventional heads. This increases the size of the "Sweet spot". No tests yet have proven graphite heads to be more forgiving or longer than other materials.

Oversized
    The general consensus is that "oversized" heads, generally made of stainless steel or graphite, create a larger "sweet spot". This produces a longer and straighter flight trajectory on off-center hits. When using stainless steel, the walls of the head must be made thinner to keep the overall weight "normal" (191-205 grams for a 1 wood). This has caused some metal "wood" faces to "crush" or dent. For this reason, some manufacturers are bringing "Mid-sized" metal woods to market, which allows the "sweet spot" to stay large, yet keeps the walls of the head thick to prevent denting.

In conjunction with "oversized" clubheads, manufacturers are starting to use "face inserts" (normally plastic, graphite or lightweight metals) which is known as metal with a composite face. This allows them to produced the larger sized heads without worrying about the face crushing or denting. This also allows them to keep the overall weight of the head down. Face inserts, in metal "woods", is a fairly new design, and tests regarding their playability and forgiveness have not been published.

Now what you really want to know: The type of "wood" you should use can only be determined by what "feels right". While metal and graphite heads can offer forgiveness on off-center shots, some argue that you lose the feel you receive from true "wood" heads. Like the irons, you should try several before buying.

Some of these articles are old and signed by EC or LM which imo is not fair to your other sponsors.
    They are signed by the authors. They are articles not ads or threads. As I said they have been here for a long time www.ottawagolf.com/articles

I have no intention of removing them. If the authors wish to update them that is no problem. I will be informing them of this change when complete.

If others wish to contribute articles they may.

If you'd like to compose a few paragraphs to update that article andre, that'd be great.

Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    I'm confused, what are you gentlemen talking about in this thread?
    There are a whole bunch of new posts in different sections. Like I said those are great but some need to be updated.

EDS I am posting the articles here http://forum.ottawagolf.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50
    It is not done yet, but as I add articles, they show up if you view new posts. When I am done that section will be put on the main menu in place of the current articles section.
    This will mean that when you serch for something that may be in the articles but not discussed in the forum, you will see the article in the results of your search.
    These are not to be treated as forum posts so replys are turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    If you'd like to compose a few paragraphs to update that article andre, that'd be great.
    Would love to but I can't reply to the thread.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Take this one for example. Scroll to the bottom and check out the yardage distance for wedges. It reads 100 yards which does not hold true by today's standards. I personally hit my pitching wege 140 yards and my sand wedge 110 yards. They have been beefed up sure as I gain 10 yards with the new clubs. Anyway the average pw distance nowadays is 130 yards. Therefore the article needs to be updated.
    Geez Andre, if you're going to argue that the numbers are outdated at least quote them correctly. The distance given for a wedge is 120 yards, not 100. The numbers are a guide - and a pretty accurate one at that. I have seen very few people average 130 with a pitching wedge, let alone 140. Next you'll be telling us the average golfer drives it 270. We're not all gorillas, you know.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Would love to but I can't reply to the thread.
    Email me. DanKilbank@OttawaGolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Geez Andre, if you're going to argue that the numbers are outdated at least quote them correctly. The distance given for a wedge is 120 yards, not 100. The numbers are a guide - and a pretty accurate one at that. I have seen very few people average 130 with a pitching wedge, let alone 140. Next you'll be telling us the average golfer drives it 270. We're not all gorillas, you know.
    Terry. I may be a loy of things but I am not a bser. I swear when I first checked out the article it read 100 yards. It's too early for my beer and I double read the post. Don't ask me how 120 got there.

I changed it. It did look out of whack compared to the 135 yrd 9 Iron. I assume it was a typo the first time around. Sorry for the confusion.

I changed it. It did look out of whack compared to the 135 yrd 9 Iron. I assume it was a typo the first time around. Sorry for the confusion.
    Thank you. I was getting worried. El tigre you owe me a beer and you get to try my 44 degree pw at 36 inches

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Terry. I may be a loy of things but I am not a bser. I swear when I first checked out the article it read 100 yards. It's too early for my beer and I double read the post. Don't ask me how 120 got there.
    No problem. Ya gotta watch that Kilbank guy - he's very sneaky!
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

My wrist is numb from working this mouse all day. I have TONS of articles to go. Sorry I did not mention it when I did it. Too many steps in this process.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Thank you. I was getting worried. El tigre you owe me a beer and you get to try my 44 degree pw at 36 inches
    One man's PW is another man's 9-iron.

This is now complete.
    Sorry to all those who use New Posts to keep up to date. I know the last 2 days have been a bit of a wade through the tall grass.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    This is now complete.
    Sorry to all those who use New Posts to keep up to date. I know the last 2 days have been a bit of a wade through the tall grass.
    More like the fescue!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Thread Information