CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar

Tree in the Fariway

I never understood why courses place a large tree in the middle of the fairway...leaving you no options. Too large to go over...and I am not talented enough to hook it around the tree. I don't think the typical golfer should have to deal with that obstacle....seems silly.

Bogie tigger12 is on a distinguished road
    Here is what I came up with.
    could force players to lay up off the tee
    holds soil and anchors slopped fairway
    makes a short hole a challenge
    is a beautiful tree
    helps you focus and manage your game not just swing
    puts accuracy at a premium where short hitters who are straighter have an advantage over bombers
    We lost a big tree in the middle of the fairway and the hole has lost some of its character. Some days I hated that tree but I wish it was back!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger12 View Post
    We lost a big tree in the middle of the fairway and the hole has lost some of its character. Some days I hated that tree but I wish it was back!
    ^This^
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I actually dont mind it. Makes me work harder and be more creative. NOT!!!! LOL

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger12 View Post
    Here is what I came up with.
    could force players to lay up off the tee
    holds soil and anchors slopped fairway
    makes a short hole a challenge
    is a beautiful tree
    helps you focus and manage your game not just swing
    puts accuracy at a premium where short hitters who are straighter have an advantage over bombers
    are you referring to the one at Emerald Links (West 4?). I've never been a fan of trees in the fairway - was happy to see that go. Now someone take care of the one on Marshes #6 I'd be a happy camper.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    You gotta love that tree with the old tractor growing out of/around it at Greensmere. There are all kinds of hazards on a golf course, and a tree in the fairway is just another kind.....as long as it's just ONE of them...

4 Iron SecondChance is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SnazzyD View Post
    You gotta love that tree with the old tractor growing out of/around it at Greensmere. There are all kinds of hazards on a golf course, and a tree in the fairway is just another kind.....as long as it's just ONE of them...
    Glenmar has the tree in the middle of #6 I think and you would think very little chance that a high handicapper would hit it but I have seen many hit that tree or the branches. I would aim straight at it as I know I won't hit it ..Good visual aid!

As for tree in front of the #6 at Marshes, I guess the course designer expected the high handicapper to "fade" or hit a worm burner so there is no issue there

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    It depends on the design of the hole.

We lost a tree on the 6th hole of the 18-hole course at Metcalfe last year, and I hated that tree some days but I kind of miss it now. Its still a tough par-5. There is a tree on the 9th hole on the 9-hole course that I think is just fine - its a short par-4 so you need some challenge and character to the hole. OTOH there is a huge tree about 10 yards in front of the 7th green on the 9-hole course that I can't stand - if the flag is on the right side of the green then you can't get within 30 feet of it in summertime no matter how good you are. Its just ridiculously stupid.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    As a lefty who plays a fade, I don't miss the tree on 15 Premier at Greensmere. It definitely tried to keep people from shortening the hole by going up the right side, but the green is, and always was, the main defense of the hole. The one on 17 is fine, if you can't go over it you can pretty much aim as far right as you want.

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondChance View Post
    Glenmar has the tree in the middle of #6 I think and you would think very little chance that a high handicapper would hit it but I have seen many hit that tree or the branches. I would aim straight at it as I know I won't hit it ..Good visual aid!

As for tree in front of the #6 at Marshes, I guess the course designer expected the high handicapper to "fade" or hit a worm burner so there is no issue there
    There's actually 3 trees that are pretty close to the tee box on # 6. It's actually easier if you're playing the further tees on that hole to get the ball up and over

Lob Wedge PingMCS is on a distinguished road
    Lol... If your game is like mine and the safest spot is directly in front of the tee box when you tee off... Simply aim DIRECTLY AT the tree!

7 Wood retread is on a distinguished road retread's Avatar
    Another hole at Metcalfe that was impacted with the removal of a tree was 4th hole of the 18-hole course. It was positioned about 40 yards from the green in the right rough. If you played up the right side of the hole (to avoid the woods on the left), the tree came into play. The hole is less punishing without the tree.
    Determined to keep the rough trimmed. One swing at a time.

Thread Information