100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Peder

Unhappy Topping the ball

What is the most common source of topping the ball. I video taped myself hitting the ball off the grass at the driving range with a 5 iron, and my arms seem to collapse through impact.

I've had all kinds of advice, but they mostly seem opinion based.

Does anyone know any good excercises for curing this problem, which gets much worse on the golf course when I tense up.

By the way, when I do make solid contact with the ball, it usually goes dead straight. On the driving range this happens 1 out 4 times or thereabouts.

Peder
    Chelsea, QC

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

my 2 cents

I believe most golfers top the ball as a result of a scooping motion in their swing in an effort to try and get more loft on their shots.

In fact the opposite is true - the more descending the blow the higher the ball will fly.

One drill for this is to hit small, half shots, leading with the hands (hands aahead of clubhead at impact) and with a mental picture of trying to "cover" the ball with the club head. The idea is to hit the ball first - ground second with a decending blow.

This gives you the feel of good contact and you can gradually work your way up to a full swing, incorporating the same swing thoughts.

Peder

Re: my 2 cents

Thanks for your reply. I think the "cover the ball excersice" will be helpful as I learn to keep my hands ahead at the clubhead at impact.

But i don;t think I try to scoop the ball, because when I do make good contact, I geet way to much loft. I feel i lose disctance because my irons are always very lofty. Hopefolly your "cover the ball" execercise will flatten my trajectory.

Peder

Originally posted by 4jag
    I believe most golfers top the ball as a result of a scooping motion in their swing in an effort to try and get more loft on their shots.

In fact the opposite is true - the more descending the blow the higher the ball will fly.

One drill for this is to hit small, half shots, leading with the hands (hands aahead of clubhead at impact) and with a mental picture of trying to "cover" the ball with the club head. The idea is to hit the ball first - ground second with a decending blow.

This gives you the feel of good contact and you can gradually work your way up to a full swing, incorporating the same swing thoughts.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar

topping the ball

You could be lifting your head. When you lift your head the club rises.You could also have the ball placement too far out in front...

Peder
    I've ruled this out. I video taped myself, and I am definately not lifting my head. However, my arms seem to break down through impact. AS I go through the ball, it seems as though both arms are slightly bent, and i pulling the club ever so slightly towards my body.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road

Ball topping

I had the same problem especially with my short irons and wedges. I went to the driving range and found that I was moving my body (translation) at impact. The result was that my clubhead had no chance to go under the ball and results were desastrous.

A nice drill is to keep your head behind the ball at impact. Don't try to look at your ball until the ball is released from your club and your follow thru is finished. This will help you to keep your body behind the ball.

Thread Information