CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar

Review of Mapleview Golf & Country Club - Perth.

Here is a review of the course and spring conditions at Mapleview, for April 22nd.

I played Mapleview yesterday, though I had heard a lot about it over the years, I've never had the chance to play it before. The course was in quite good shape, with only a few wet areas on some fairways, but these were mostly at the base of slopes and understandably still wet because of this very wet spring and recent rains. The fairways were quite playable, though still in recovery from the winter, they did offer good lies, and it was a surprise to see some allowing for drives to role out, quite unexpectedly.
    The greens were in a more than adequate state, even and dry, and somewhat hard surprisingly. The greens were also running relatively consistent, and they were smooth enough to be called fair as an indicator of what putts were doing from the strokes delivered. The greens were a little slow, but easily accounted for once you realized their condition. I can imagine the greens offering a great challenge in true summer conditions if what we experienced yesterday is any indication of their potential... comparable to Prescott perhaps at this time of year, and maybe even as challenging as Mississippi in summer given in their similarities to one another.
    The bunkers were untouched from last year (as were Stonebridge's last weekend).
    Overall, aside from the friendliness of the people that served us (like the man who attended to us in the Clubhouse, and the wonderfully empathetic smile and well wishes from a maintenance worker raking the pathways), what was a surprise is that as we progressed through the course it kept offering unique views and perspectives. Most holes are quite individual in relation to others, and surprisingly, quite different when you consider this is a course placed on what was once obviously farmland fields. There are several elevational changes throughout, and even a few dramatic ones, like the signature 17th hole, that has both an elevated tee box and two water features to cross... which we all did... well done guys!
    Speaking of water, there is a meandering tributary of the Tay River that defines many of the course's holes, and provides features to challenge crossing water or, in a few instances, where holes have ponds, these flank a fairway or two.
    I would like to return later this spring to see how the fairways and rough define the course, since both weren't yet discernible given how early it is in the season. So, if you haven't played Mapleview, then I suggest you try it, and like me, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised for, pardon the pun, it's worth the drive (from Ottawa).
    Last edited by MarcArt; 04-23-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Driver Muddler is on a distinguished road
    The cherry on top is that it's only $30 right now.

It is... and thanks again for driving us out yesterday Muddler!

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcArt View Post
    Here is a review of the course and spring conditions at Mapleview, for April 22nd.

I played Mapleview yesterday, though I had heard a lot about it over the years, I've never had the chance to play it before. The course was in quite good shape, with only a few wet areas on some fairways, but these were mostly at the base of slopes and understandably still wet because of this very wet spring and recent rains. The fairways were quite playable, though still in recovery from the winter, they did offer good lies, and it was a surprise to see some allowing for drives to role out, quite unexpectedly.
    The greens were in a more than adequate state, even and dry, and somewhat hard surprisingly. The greens were also running relatively consistent, and they were smooth enough to be called fair as an indicator of what putts were doing from the strokes delivered. The greens were a little slow, but easily accounted for once you realized their condition. I can imagine the greens offering a great challenge in true summer conditions if what we experienced yesterday is any indication of their potential... comparable to Prescott perhaps at this time of year, and maybe even as challenging as Mississippi in summer given in their similarities to one another.
    The bunkers were untouched from last year (as were Stonebridge's last weekend).
    Overall, aside from the friendliness of the people that served us (like the man who attended to us in the Clubhouse, and the wonderfully empathetic smile and well wishes from a maintenance worker raking the pathways), what was a surprise is that as we progressed through the course it kept offering unique views and perspectives. Most holes are quite individual in relation to others, and surprisingly, quite different when you consider this is a course placed on what was once obviously farmland fields. There are several elevational changes throughout, and even a few dramatic ones, like the signature 17th hole, that has both an elevated tee box and two water features to cross... which we all did... well done guys!
    Speaking of water, there is a meandering tributary of the Tay River that defines many of the course's holes, and provides features to challenge crossing water or, in a few instances, where holes have ponds, these flank a fairway or two.
    I would like to return later this spring to see how the fairways and rough define the course, since both weren't yet discernible given how early it is in the season. So, if you haven't played Mapleview, then I suggest you try it, and like me, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised for, pardon the pun, it's worth the drive (from Ottawa).
    Thanks for writing the review Marc. I have played Perth Golf Club which is about 10min away from Mapleview and really like that Perth GC . I was wondering about Mapleview and this will give me an incentive to give it a go this year.

You're most welcome Gobble_It, glad I was able to give you some insight.
    I have always wanted to play Mapleview, and now with your recommendation, I look forward to playing the Perth Golf Course, the oldest in Canada. I'll post a similar review of the Perth course once played, and let us know what you think of Mapleview after you play it.

I'm heading back to enjoy Mapleview again this weekend having really been impressed with it earlier this year. I'll post another review of its summer conditions after the round.
    But in the interim, does anyone have comments about it from the last week or so?
    Last edited by MarcArt; 08-18-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    It's greener than I have seen in a long time, a great deal in the area, I live 10 minutes away and play it a lot
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Great to hear Lefty, we are really looking forward to it... it is well worth the very scenic and easy drive for us in Ottawa.

Here a comments from my return to Mapleview to experience the course in summer conditions...

I had been looking forward to another round at Mapleview and on Sunday I returned with three friends. We had perfect weather for it, and though it was hot, we enjoyed our rounds on a course that was in good shape given some of the rains we've had. One could say that with the rains they may not have had the ability to cut few fairways as recently as one might have liked; as such, some fairways were noticeably longer than one might expect, but not enough to impact on our play.
    The bunkers however, were a challenge, several had not been tended to, raked or otherwise for what appeared to have been a few days, difficult to say exactly how long, but enough for us to consider taking relief from the worst of them... again, the weather may have influenced this, so in fairness, this appeared to be an irregular condition, not a usual one.
    The greens we quite saturated, but surprisingly, other than holding the ball well on high approach shots, the putting surface was not affected and as hoped, the greens ran true and consistent. Some of the comments we had about the greens on the course, particularly the par threes, were that they are difficult to hold when coming in low from a distance given the slopes are outward toward edges, and some even had the effect of upturned saucers - though that is somewhat of an exaggeration to get the point across. All greens did pose challenges, whether in subtle or substantial in their breaks; and, with familiarity one could more carefully plan one's approaches to them.
    As it had in the spring, the course still held my attention, it was challenging given some of the blind shots. With respect to one blind shot in particular, one of the very few remarks made by the group that could be taken in the form of criticism of the layout was about the eight hole. Being a very short par four, playing between 240 and 273 yards depending on the tee, it received some unfavourable comments. It was felt that a blind shot with a mid-iron to then only use a short wedge into the green was, it would seem, peculiar. I liked that hole, for the more one knows of it, the more it would offer the intrigue in an outcome of a good tee shot being placed on level ground, for the slope running down towards the hole affects shots that are carried too close to the hole... it would be interesting to hear what others think of this extreme dogleg hole that shares some of the same character as hole number twelve at The Canadian.
    Overall I would return to Mapleview again in the spring since, for like Prescott, it was a good overall, and the greens in spring, like they were this past Sunday, were a challenge.
    Last edited by MarcArt; 08-22-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: To fix a few typos...

2 Iron gentles is on a distinguished road
    I'll build on what Marc said as I was there on Sunday too.

Very enjoyable, I loved the variety of the par four holes. The Par 4 second with the stand of trees right where you want to land a driver had us discussing optimal strategy both when we played the hole and when we walked back past it after 8. The 7th was another great hole, where you can reach the green in 2 with just a mid iron and a wedge, but if you want a good angle you have to play for a longer tee shot.

Many of the greens had upside down bowl shape, which made pitching and chipping a real test. It is certainly a course where you need to think a few shots ahead if you want to score well.

As mentioned above the 8th hole was a little bit gimmicky, a very short par 4 where the only way to play it is with a mid iron and a pitch across the dogleg. Would be fun too see if you can make going for the green a realistic option to create an element of risk-reward.

With all the blind tee shots, one suggestion would be for tee signs on each hole to incorporate a picture of the hole, with distances to trees and hazards etc. We were lucky to have rangefinders in our group, otherwise there would have been a lot of guess work!

Very enjoyable experience and well worth the drive

As further note about Mapleview, the fairways do get cut regularly on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, so with the rains we had before we played on Sunday the grass was a little long, but did not affect play. Good go hear it is tended to regularly, and that the weather conditions had affected the height of the grass on the fairway for our round. And, regarding Hole #8, I've been told it is reachable off the tee, but it is a challenging shot. Not knowing it like the regulars do, it requires a 200 yard tee shot that has to achieve great to get there... I may try that shot next time I'm there.

Seeing Prescott and Mapleview on the Spring Openings calendar, for those considering an option from Prescott, and if they may not have played it before, try Mapleview, it is the same distance as Prescott, and very much the same in offerings and conditions early in the season as Prescott.

Read the above notes for an indication of Mapleview's spring conditions last year.
    Regards, here's to a great season.

Putter mbrowne67 is on a distinguished road
    I have played both courses in the Spring and Mapleview in the late fall when my course has closed
    IMHO Mapleview wins hands down in terms of playability and variety between holes
    My buddies who have played both agree
    I am quite happy if this opinion doesn’t sway anybody as it will keep it easy to get on Mapleview ��

I played Mapleview today, for the third time in as many years. The course was again in remarkably good shape, with surprisingly few wet spots... no snow on the course, and fairways 'rolling'... even power carts were in use, and allowed on the fairways...

As they had been in my previous rounds there, the greens are in very good shape, though a little softer than during my last springtime play. I met the owner, and he welcome us mid-round with some kind words... read the other reviews I posted above from my last visits, and, as I said before, if you haven't played Mapleview, you must, because you'll be rewarded with an inexpensive round and fun course. It has easily become my favourite spring (& summer) outing course from Ottawa. See you again soon Jay...
    Last edited by MarcArt; 04-13-2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Typo & for clarity

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I completely agree, little hidden gem, I play it many times every year.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Lob Wedge DunnyC is on a distinguished road
    Played it today, too. Exceeded my expectations for this time of year, by far. I wish my swing could have done the same

Quote Originally Posted by DunnyC View Post
    Played it today, too. Exceeded my expectations for this time of year, by far. I wish my swing could have done the same
    Glad you did too... we moved along nicely as the pace of play was quite good. That was some wind out there today as well wasn't it...? I couldn't keep my baseball hat on, had to turn it backwards, country style! Some of my shots almost went backwards in the wind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I completely agree, little hidden gem, I play it many times every year.
    Thanks Lefty, more people should know about, it is easy to get to from Ottawa, and a really interesting portion of the drive there if you come off Highway 7 along and over the Tay river, which also passes through the course, all quite scenic.

An easy drive for me, 15 minutes from my house. I really like the 10th hole par 5, great view from the tee box and a really tough hole.
    Lefty Lucas

Nationwide Player Mr. Chi is on a distinguished road Mr. Chi's Avatar
    I was out there with Paulio yesterday. I agree - I was surprised with the good conditions of the greens, but I did find quite a few soggy spots in the fairway & around the greens. Not really complaining though as it was a good time and pretty good for this time of year. Was my 1st time there & would def go back again
    Last edited by Mr. Chi; 04-23-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    "Be happy, but never satisfied." – Bruce Lee

Yes, conditions were more soggy after all the rain Friday and Saturday but will quickly dry out this week. I was there Sunday and had no trouble finding relief. It was packed with golfers to say the least and the same yesterday I believe, nice to see. The best thing is that you can have a replay after your round including cart for $10, can`t beat that
    Lefty Lucas

Nationwide Player Mr. Chi is on a distinguished road Mr. Chi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    The best thing is that you can have a replay after your round including cart for $10, can`t beat that
    What!!! I wish I had known that!
    "Be happy, but never satisfied." – Bruce Lee

Mr Chi, you must have missed the sign right before you get to the 18th tee box, it's pretty big and it says exactly what I wrote and in colour!
    Lefty Lucas

8 Iron cpal is on a distinguished road
    Played it today for the first time and really enjoyed it.

Course and greens in excellent condition too. Will definitely be back.

Having played Mapleview last Saturday, the comments that were made in this thread from previous years still apply. I am playing it again tomorrow, and if anything has changed I'll let everyone know, likely not even with the rain and cold weather. I place a lot of stock in this course review thread, and in relation to condition, playability and price (homage to Johnyc here), Mapleview is a very good play again this spring, and at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcArt View Post
    Having played Mapleview last Saturday, the comments that were made in this thread from previous years still apply. I am playing it again tomorrow, and if anything has changed I'll let everyone know, likely not even with the rain and cold weather. I place a lot of stock in this course review thread, and in relation to condition, playability and price (homage to Johnyc here), Mapleview is a very good play again this spring, and at any time.
    I am a little late sending this but, I played Mapleview again this spring, and 'all' my previous years' comments still apply... Well done Mapleview see you again next year.

Thread Information