CorporateGolfXtra 2024

Threaded View

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar

Review of Mapleview Golf & Country Club - Perth.

Here is a review of the course and spring conditions at Mapleview, for April 22nd.

I played Mapleview yesterday, though I had heard a lot about it over the years, I've never had the chance to play it before. The course was in quite good shape, with only a few wet areas on some fairways, but these were mostly at the base of slopes and understandably still wet because of this very wet spring and recent rains. The fairways were quite playable, though still in recovery from the winter, they did offer good lies, and it was a surprise to see some allowing for drives to role out, quite unexpectedly.
    The greens were in a more than adequate state, even and dry, and somewhat hard surprisingly. The greens were also running relatively consistent, and they were smooth enough to be called fair as an indicator of what putts were doing from the strokes delivered. The greens were a little slow, but easily accounted for once you realized their condition. I can imagine the greens offering a great challenge in true summer conditions if what we experienced yesterday is any indication of their potential... comparable to Prescott perhaps at this time of year, and maybe even as challenging as Mississippi in summer given in their similarities to one another.
    The bunkers were untouched from last year (as were Stonebridge's last weekend).
    Overall, aside from the friendliness of the people that served us (like the man who attended to us in the Clubhouse, and the wonderfully empathetic smile and well wishes from a maintenance worker raking the pathways), what was a surprise is that as we progressed through the course it kept offering unique views and perspectives. Most holes are quite individual in relation to others, and surprisingly, quite different when you consider this is a course placed on what was once obviously farmland fields. There are several elevational changes throughout, and even a few dramatic ones, like the signature 17th hole, that has both an elevated tee box and two water features to cross... which we all did... well done guys!
    Speaking of water, there is a meandering tributary of the Tay River that defines many of the course's holes, and provides features to challenge crossing water or, in a few instances, where holes have ponds, these flank a fairway or two.
    I would like to return later this spring to see how the fairways and rough define the course, since both weren't yet discernible given how early it is in the season. So, if you haven't played Mapleview, then I suggest you try it, and like me, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised for, pardon the pun, it's worth the drive (from Ottawa).
    Last edited by MarcArt; 04-23-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Thread Information