CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Iron sliceleft is on a distinguished road

Post-tournament penalties

What happens if on Monday morning, someone looks at a Sunday photo of that week's PGA tournament winner and notices 15 clubs in the bag (or some similar, obvious, unquestionable rules violation)? Just to make it messier, assume two or more players were tied for second, one stroke behind the winner.
    I'm not sure if this is a rules of golf question, a PGA question or a tournament organizer question -- but sooner or later, it's going to come up.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sliceleft View Post
    What happens if on Monday morning, someone looks at a Sunday photo of that week's PGA tournament winner and notices 15 clubs in the bag (or some similar, obvious, unquestionable rules violation)? Just to make it messier, assume two or more players were tied for second, one stroke behind the winner.
    I'm not sure if this is a rules of golf question, a PGA question or a tournament organizer question -- but sooner or later, it's going to come up.
    Too late. Once it's closed its closed
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Nope, as soon as the winner is declared the tourney is over, no more calls from arm-chair officials....or so I've been told.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Mr Jeff beat me to it.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    In stroke play, a penalty must not be rescinded, modified or imposed after the competition has closed. A competition is closed when the result has been officially announced or, in stroke play qualifying followed by match play, when the player has teed off in his first match.

Exceptions: A penalty of disqualification must be imposed after the competition has closed if a competitor:

(i) was in breach of Rule 1-3 (Agreement to Waive Rules); or

(ii) returned a score card on which he had recorded a handicap that, before the competition closed, he knew was higher than that to which he was entitled, and this affected the number of strokes received (Rule 6-2b); or

(iii) returned a score for any hole lower than actually taken (Rule 6-6d) for any reason other than failure to include one or more penalty strokes that, before the competition closed, he did not know he had incurred; or

(iv) knew, before the competition closed, that he had been in breach of any other Rule for which the penalty is disqualification.

7 Iron sliceleft is on a distinguished road
    Note to self: Next time, read all the way to the bottom of the Rules before thinking you have a new question. Thanks.

Thread Information