CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Renfrew is definitely worth the drive. Good choice
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Lob Wedge NMG is on a distinguished road
    Definitely looking forward to it!

3 Wood 3putt is on a distinguished road 3putt's Avatar
    I haven't played Renfrew in over 10 years and this post got me itching to play it again. Just booked for Sunday where you get golf,cart, beer and burger for $40+tax.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3putt View Post
    I haven't played Renfrew in over 10 years and this post got me itching to play it again. Just booked for Sunday where you get golf,cart, beer and burger for $40+tax.
    Cant beat that deal. Enjoy.

Lob Wedge NMG is on a distinguished road
    Played Renfrew today and yes, it was a nice track for sure. Definitely found the front easier than the back due to the length on the back as compared to the front.

I did find the greens slow compared to Montebello, which we played on Wednesday, but the course also wasn't at wet. Speed aside, the greens and the rest of the course were in fantastic shape.

I'd go back for sure and at $40 including a cart, I thought it was a great bargain!

Lob Wedge campbellgolf is on a distinguished road
    How is the Marshes right now? On Golfnow it says "please expect recovery conditions" ?

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campbellgolf View Post
    How is the Marshes right now? On Golfnow it says "please expect recovery conditions" ?
    They started some aeration this week and last I checked, you have to play the front 9 twice.

It's been tough on the golf courses with all the rain starting the season.
    I have played a few courses around town now and some are still wet with slow or shaggy greens.

The ones with better conditions might be ok but the rest will suffer this year as golfers will stay away until the hot weather arrives which is hopefully soon.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Yep, greens have been aerated. Men's night on Wed was cancelled due to aeration.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hey fellas---have not played Chateau Cartier in about 5 or 6 years---any idea on the conditions ?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by gdwlkspld View Post
    I'm taking a chance here but I'm really interested in some feedback...

I've been playing golf since the age of 12, worked a couple of summers at the Hamilton Golf and Country Club, played my share of OVGA events, the Quebec Seniors, on a couple of occasions the Canadian Senior Match Play Championship and the Canadian Senior Stroke Play Championship and over the years a fair share of very, very good golf courses in North America...

I live in the Pembroke area and when I retired, I joined the Renfrew G.C. Despiter the drive it was simply the best golf course between North Bay and Ottawa.

Now during this time of contraction in the golf industry and as a member of the B of D at the Renfrew G.C. we're noticing a decline in the number of greens fee players and members, despite very competitive greens fee rates and modest membership fees.

During the current spring, the RGC playing conditions are excellent, while other courses are experiencing real issues with respect to drainage and playing conditions, yet, most days, the RGC tee sheets are not full.

So I'm curious as to everyone's take on the RGC. Is there something that the RGC is doing wrong? Are there members of Ottawagolf.com who haven't given the RGc a try and, if not why not?

I'd really appreciate your feedback; I'm sure that we all have an interest in the sport that we enjoy and its sustainability during difficult times.

Thank you to all of you who read this post and take a moment or two to respond,

gdwlkspld
    Soliciting feedback on this very subject today among residents in the valley and here is the concensus; poor customer service inside the pro shop and restaurant and a feeling that a number of older members rule the roost.
    I've played the course before. It's ok. At $30 for 18 and a cart it's probably fairly priced when you consider the drive from Manotick. It's an average layout and the conditions are average. To pull people from Ottawa you need to be above average.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    At $30 for 18 and a cart it's probably fairly priced when you consider the drive from Manotick. It's an average layout and the conditions are average. To pull people from Ottawa you need to be above average.
    WOW, what city and century are you living in where $30 for 18 holes and a cart is "average". You certainly won't find that anywhere near Manotick. Not that I understand why a business in Renfrew would want to take into consideration the drive from Manotick at all, when there are well over 100,000 people living 45 minutes away in Kanata?

[QUOTE=justsomeguy;547567]WOW, what city and century are you living in where $30 for 18 holes and a cart is "average". You certainly won't find that anywhere near Manotick. Not that I understand why a business in Renfrew would want to take into consideration the drive from Manotick at all, when there are well over 100,000 people living 45 minutes away in Kanata?[/QUOTE

I said the conditions and layout were average. If you are going to quote me at least get it right.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Soliciting feedback on this very subject today among residents in the valley and here is the concensus; poor customer service inside the pro shop and restaurant and a feeling that a number of older members rule the roost.
    I've played the course before. It's ok. At $30 for 18 and a cart it's probably fairly priced when you consider the drive from Manotick. It's an average layout and the conditions are average. To pull people from Ottawa you need to be above average.
    Personally, I find the layout to be well above average. And I'm not sure who the older members are who rule the roost, I was club president there for 2 years, age 42-43 at the time, and if anyone knows me personally they will not call me "old guard" or "snobby". The course conditions and service levels have been steadily improving under the new GM and Superintendent, and I know how hard they have been working. The consumer will always have the final say, but can honestly say the golf and course conditions have been great there this spring, and I think it is a bargain at $40 with a cart.
    Andrew

5 Wood gdwlkspld is on a distinguished road
    Johnnyc:

While your opinion as to the quality and price-point of the Renfrew G.C. "golf experience" seems to be out of step with those of the other members of Ottawa Golf who have weighed in, so far; I am very much interested in your views.

I see, in fact, that you have nearly 300 posts since becoming a member of Ottawa Golf in 2009 and probably have played a good many golf courses in Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec.

I would be interested in knowing what public or semi-private golf courses in Eastern Ontario or Western Quebec that you would consider to provide to offer more value for money than the Renfrew G.C.?

I'm sure that the other readers of this thread would also be interested in your opinion, as well.

thanks,

gdwlkspld

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I would be curious to hear what courses would provide better value for money than Renfrew at that price point.

Eagle mizzyboy is on a distinguished road
    Played Hautes Plaines last Monday and PineView this Saturday - can't complain too much about the conditions they are both turning up for the summer. Greens were kinda bumpy in Hautes, I expect Pineview's to be faster - courses are starting to dry up.

Has anyone played Chateau Cartier, Hylands or Falcon Ridge this season and can comment on conditions? I would like to play those course and curious what to expect.Thanks.
    Go Sens Go or No Sens No? The struggle of a Sens fan.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Rockland is in great condition tee to green period

Folks If you want to continue a discussion of Renfrew specifically, please start a new thread. This thread is about conditions across the region.

Sorry, Kilroy... point taken.

This thread has evolved from conditions across the region to one of "bang for the buck".

mea culpa

A bang for the buck thread would be great. Start one!

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    I would be curious to hear what courses would provide better value for money than Renfrew at that price point.
    Mens night at the Meadows , $45 taxes inc
    18 holes with cart and dinner
    Just gotta pay the $50 for the Mens night registration and that ends up going towards the year end banquet , which is free
    Not too shabby imo

And the course is in good shape , greens quicker than they've ever been , except the bunkers which are lacking in sand
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Ahem.

New thread on value for the money, please. Seriously guys. This is supposed to be about conditions.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gdwlkspld View Post
    Johnnyc:

While your opinion as to the quality and price-point of the Renfrew G.C. "golf experience" seems to be out of step with those of the other members of Ottawa Golf who have weighed in, so far; I am very much interested in your views.

I see, in fact, that you have nearly 300 posts since becoming a member of Ottawa Golf in 2009 and probably have played a good many golf courses in Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec.

I would be interested in knowing what public or semi-private golf courses in Eastern Ontario or Western Quebec that you would consider to provide to offer more value for money than the Renfrew G.C.?

I'm sure that the other readers of this thread would also be interested in your opinion, as well.

thanks,

gdwlkspld
    at $30-$40 per round with cart I can't think of a better value. I prefer to walk so the cart is irrelevant to me but regardless that is a great value. I love the layout and consider it above average for the Ottawa region - easily in the top 10 in terms of layout for public courses. I just wish it was closer to me.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Back on topic or I will close this and we can start new threads on both topics

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    Mens night at the Meadows , $45 taxes inc
    18 holes with cart and dinner
    Just gotta pay the $50 for the Mens night registration and that ends up going towards the year end banquet , which is free
    Not too shabby imo

And the course is in good shape , greens quicker than they've ever been , except the bunkers which are lacking in sand
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Folks If you want to continue a discussion of Renfrew specifically, please start a new thread. This thread is about conditions across the region.
    Respecting the wishes of the admins, I'll reserve further comment under this thread. I'll contribute if a new thread is started.

Johnnyc;

I've started a new thread "Bang for the Buck".

I look forward to your contribution(s)...

gdwlkspld

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Anyone played Cedarhill recently, are the greens soft or hard, playing in a work tourny on Friday
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Sand Wedge Tighthead is on a distinguished road
    I played Upoer Canada recently. Solid conditions but the greens needed to be firmer. Disappointed in how soft they were.

8 Iron Nomoe is on a distinguished road Nomoe's Avatar
    Played Prescott yesterday.Course was moist in spots due to rain they got the night before but otherwise in great shape.Greens scary fast!
    Ping never misses...

Thread Information