+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    got a note that equinelle is closed until further notice....anyone remember how dry the summer was last year with the ponds virtually empty?
    Not just Equinelle is closed. Metcalfe, Falcon Ridge and Smiths Falls are also closed this weekend.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    just wait until the mosquitoes arrive
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Putter pondhockey is on a distinguished road
    Does anyone know how Pineview has held up after the recent rain in the past week?

Gap Wedge Maximus67 is on a distinguished road
    Played Canadian this morning. Great condition! Fairways and rough are coming in great. Greens are quite slow, but roll very true.
    Most bunkers had standing water in them, and if you found yourself in some areas off the fairway, you could find your ball in the middle of a grassy puddle.

Meadows is spongey. Greens rolling nice. Course is wet in spots but lush. Rough is long. Some plugged balls. Overall, pretty decent considering

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Buckingham was soggy in some spots but greens are very nice. Too bad they are aerating them next week.
    Last edited by Marcos; 05-12-2017 at 06:51 AM.

2 Iron Guzman is on a distinguished road Guzman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pondhockey View Post
    Does anyone know how Pineview has held up after the recent rain in the past week?
    Iit was very wet on Tuesday
    "Everyone is born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" Ben Franklyn.

Equinelle was excellent today
    "Everyone is born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" Ben Franklyn.

8 Iron manotick is on a distinguished road
    Played Nationview yesterday. The course has only been open a week and while it is still wet in places, the course was much better than I expected. Greens were slow. No carts allowed right now, only walking. Took advantage of the Tuesday Seniors special which included a chicken burger lunch. Course was quiet and I had a pleasant front nine in the Sun listening to the birds and watching the otters and turtles in the ponds. The back nine wasn't quite as nice as the Sun disappeared and the annoying black flies appeared, especially on those holes with ponds (12 and 13). The 18th was closed so played 9 twice. All in all a good day.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Glen Mar (now Stittsville) today was as good as we've ever seen it. Almost dry everywhere.

Five kinds of Draft beer too. Nice & cold. 3 hours & 20 minutes for seniors 4-some walking...Whoo-Hoo!!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    The Canadian was in great shape, no issues.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Manderley is still a bit soft and damp in a few areas but overall very lush and nice.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Has anyone played Smugglers Glen in the last week or so? Looking to go this weekend, but would like a review from the forum members before we drive all the way there.

Thanks

Jim

Tecumseh fairways and rough very long. Losing balls because of this. Greens very slow, nice but.......

Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    Montebello today,

I was surprised of the great shape for this early in the season, I haven't seen their greens that fast in last few years, they were just beautiful. Bunkers still need some work though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kak View Post
    Montebello today,

I was surprised of the great shape for this early in the season, I haven't seen their greens that fast in last few years, they were just beautiful. Bunkers still need some work though.
    You are the third person i spoke to that has praised Montebello. Got to get out there soon!!!

Meadows has dried out immensely in a week. Very green, greens are much faster than previous years, still a little bumpy but it's early. I'd expect them to be even better by next week.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Hawkesbury was in great shape today, and a steal with only $20 green fees today for their Open House.

Pineview is very good greens are nice and is dry up pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    Hawkesbury was in great shape today, and a steal with only $20 green fees today for their Open House.
    Wow, great deal buddy.

5 Wood gdwlkspld is on a distinguished road

Renfrew G.C.

I'm taking a chance here but I'm really interested in some feedback...

I've been playing golf since the age of 12, worked a couple of summers at the Hamilton Golf and Country Club, played my share of OVGA events, the Quebec Seniors, on a couple of occasions the Canadian Senior Match Play Championship and the Canadian Senior Stroke Play Championship and over the years a fair share of very, very good golf courses in North America...

I live in the Pembroke area and when I retired, I joined the Renfrew G.C. Despiter the drive it was simply the best golf course between North Bay and Ottawa.

Now during this time of contraction in the golf industry and as a member of the B of D at the Renfrew G.C. we're noticing a decline in the number of greens fee players and members, despite very competitive greens fee rates and modest membership fees.

During the current spring, the RGC playing conditions are excellent, while other courses are experiencing real issues with respect to drainage and playing conditions, yet, most days, the RGC tee sheets are not full.

So I'm curious as to everyone's take on the RGC. Is there something that the RGC is doing wrong? Are there members of Ottawagolf.com who haven't given the RGc a try and, if not why not?

I'd really appreciate your feedback; I'm sure that we all have an interest in the sport that we enjoy and its sustainability during difficult times.

Thank you to all of you who read this post and take a moment or two to respond,

gdwlkspld

Quote Originally Posted by gdwlkspld View Post

I've been playing golf since the age of 12, worked a couple of summers at the Hamilton Golf and Country Club, played my share of OVGA events, the Quebec Seniors, on a couple of occasions the Canadian Senior Match Play Championship and the Canadian Senior Stroke Play Championship and over the years a fair share of very, very good golf courses in North America...

I live in the Pembroke area and when I retired, I joined the Renfrew G.C. Despiter the drive it was simply the best golf course between North Bay and Ottawa.

Now during this time of contraction in the golf industry and as a member of the B of D at the Renfrew G.C. we're noticing a decline in the number of greens fee players and members, despite very competitive greens fee rates and modest membership fees.

During the current spring, the RGC playing conditions are excellent, while other courses are experiencing real issues with respect to drainage and playing conditions, yet, most days, the RGC tee sheets are not full.

So I'm curious as to everyone's take on the RGC. Is there something that the RGC is doing wrong? Are there members of Ottawagolf.com who haven't given the RGc a try and, if not why not?

I'd really appreciate your feedback; I'm sure that we all have an interest in the sport that we enjoy and its sustainability during difficult times.

gdwlkspld
    Great course, just a long way from Ottawa. Unless you are in the west end, it's over an hour and from where I live it's more like 1:15. Back in the day there weren't many courses around, now we have an abundance within 30-40 min of downtown (or less), which puts Renfrew on the periphery. I just checked and it's 102km from downtown. That's a long way to drive to play a round.
    Last edited by jeffc; 06-05-2017 at 06:51 PM.

5 Wood gdwlkspld is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for your reply, Jeff!

I live in Pembroke, 40 - 45 minutes to Renfrew. While I'm willing to drive that distance, I do appreciate that others may not be, particularly if they are driving by acceptable alternatives to get to Renfrew.

Nevertheless, I will point out that Highway #17/417 is now 4-laned beyond Arnprior and that black flies and mosquitoes are (so far) a very minor issue at Renfrew.

Again, thank you for your reply and do check out the specials at our web-site that are pretty special, indeed!

gdwlkspld

Thanks for your reply, Jeff!

I live in Pembroke, 40 - 45 minutes to Renfrew. While I'm willing to drive that distance, I do appreciate that others may not be, particularly if they are driving by acceptable alternatives to get to Renfrew.

Nevertheless, I will point out that Highway #17/417 is now 4-laned beyond Arnprior and that black flies and mosquitoes are (so far) a very minor issue at Renfrew.

Again, thank you for your reply and do check out the specials at our web-site that are pretty special, indeed!

gdwlkspld
    Not many other options out that way, a few but Renfrew is the best and I'd probably do the same.

4 Iron SecondChance is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Great course, just a long way from Ottawa. Unless you are in the west end, it's over an hour and from where I live it's more like 1:15. Back in the day there weren't many courses around, now we have an abundance within 30-40 min of downtown (or less), which puts Renfrew on the periphery. I just checked and it's 102km from downtown. That's a long way to drive to play a round.
    Same reason here. Along with other few other coures in the Ottawa Valley (Oak of Cobden, Arnprior, Dragonfly, Whitetails etc..) and further south (Perth , Prescott, Upper Cananda. eQuinelle), these are the courses I would usally play once a year due to the distance and the other available options within 35 mintues of Ottawa downtown . The courses are typically in very good condition but the distance is main deterence for me.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road

gdwlkspld
    As you said, there is contraction in the golf industry so some of the decline is normal and cannot be helped. Except that we haven`t really seen a contraction in the number of local courses in the region yet - a lot of courses are on the brink but they`re still hanging on. At some point some of the weaker golf courses will close, and those players and members will migrate to the stronger courses like Renfrew. We`re just not there yet.

I think some of the contraction in business is demographics (the baby boomers are dying off), some of it is the local economy (I may be wrong but I don`t think Renfrew is booming right now) and some of it is the changing nature of work (its hard to commit to a membership when you`re working on 3-6 month contracts with work schedules that change every week). Personally my work situation is good so I can still get out 2-3 times per week, but most of my rounds are now 9-holes instead of 18. My course (Metcalfe) has 27 holes so there is a lot flexibility when booking tee times - I think is something that more courses should be looking at to survive. People just don`t have as much time or money anymore to spend 5-6 hours (with travel time) and $50 playing golf.

As for the current season, IMHO green fee players are typically fair-weather golfers - and we haven't had a lot of fair weather in 2017. if summer ever comes this year then I`m sure things will pick up.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I love the course and get out at least 2x/yr even if a 1.5 hr trek from my house, it's worth thr drive and an excellent value, a real gem
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

gdwlkspld
    We love Renfrew but living in Gatineau, we only get out there once or twice a year. Its the same out our way also, tee-times are down and a lot of courses outside the city are feeling the same effect.

Lob Wedge NMG is on a distinguished road
    Hey gdwlkspld,

My dad is out visiting and we're in the process of booking tee times for some upcoming rounds. As a result of your post and some earlier recommendations from folks on the board, I just booked a time at Renfrew for Thursday.

Couldn't pass up the $36 deal. Looking forward to playing out in the valley!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    You will not regret it, a great track, the front 9 gets you warmed up and you will need it for the back 9
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information