+ Reply to Thread
    2 Iron gentles is on a distinguished road

New to the Ottawa Region, looking for partners...have clubs will travel!

Hi all

I'm new to the forum, because we're moving from New Zealand to Ottawa in April this year for work. I'd love to connect with any members here who are in interested in setting up some games of golf.

FWIW I've been a golfer for most of my life (late 20s) and have a job lined up in the public sector working in foreign affairs.

We've got no idea where we will be living in Ottawa, and we don't know anyone at all. Keen to hear from anyone and everyone about what the golf is like and potentially set up a few rounds. I don't even know when the season starts!

Let me know if you're keen and we can keep in touch over the next few weeks or so.

Thanks
    Andrew

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Welcome to the region.

Ottawa is one of the better cities for golf in Canada when you look at the value you can get for your golfing dollar. There are lots of options including private, semi-private, and public.

Where you end up living and how long you want to drive will determine your best bets to a certain degree.

Once the golf season starts here you'll see a lot more activity on the site.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Welcome to Ottawa Andrew.

The season usually starts around the end of April and lasts until mid-November. It can be pretty chilly in April, and some of the courses can be a little water-logged when they first open, so you may want to wait a few weeks.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Welcome Andrew
    Let us know where you are going to live when you can and there will be plenty of advice. If you play frequently and want to get around and try a bunch of courses there are several discount programs to chose from as well. You came to the right place for the info!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    welcome! lots of great options in this city at every price point. I'd be curious to know what golf costs in NZ and how it compares. The good news is that winter should be gone by the time you arrive (as I stare out my window at a blizzard today!) but we hopefully will be golfing by mid-April. Where you decide to live could drive your playing options somewhat but let us know if we can help with any of that.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

2 Iron gentles is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for all the responses folks - looks like i'll have some good company when I dust the clubs off after the big trip. Will post back here once we're all set up and i'm ready to go. Golf is an all year sport in New Zealand so not used to this whole "waiting for the snow to clear" business!

Jeffc - New Zealand has a bunch of golf courses, so it is relatively cheap to play. Most courses have green fees between $30-$70 (exchange rate for CAD and NZD is roughly 1:1), or you can become a member for approx $1,500 per year. There are some stunning golf courses that make the Top 100 in the world (Kauri Cliffs, Cape Kidnappers) but they are much more expensive as you would expect.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    so roughly about the same as here in terms of green fees. Lots of good deals here during the week after work with twilight rates - $30-$45 and you can golf until 9 in May/June and 8:30 or so in July. Weekends are prime time and a bit more, $40-$80 depending on the course.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information