CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Wood rossigm is on a distinguished road rossigm's Avatar

New Taylormade P750 irons

Just saw the price of these baby's on the Golftown website

$1999.99........are they crazy!!!! $2000 for a set of irons!!!!!!

I guess somebody has to pay all these sponsorship they are giving out to guys like, DJ, Jason, Justin....etc, well it ain't going to be me I'll keep my old clubs!!!

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Go price a set of PXG and you will think these are cheap!!!

Playing Winter Rules mr. chopper is on a distinguished road mr. chopper's Avatar
    Pretty much all of the major manufactures are producing a high end forged offering now that is really geared for a tour or top amateur player. Its not uncommon to see these category of irons sets comprised of 3 to PW to be priced out at around $1,500.00 Canadian plus taxes.

The pricing on this gear has gotten a little out of hand for sure and the reality is that there hasn't been that much improvement in performance and or feel in a forged tour type iron head in the past 15 years. Case and point, there are still dozens of great PGA Tour players that are playing forged blades like the Titleist 670's, 680's and 690's all models from the early 2000's. There are also tons of top players using Callaway irons that were manufactured between 2010 to 2013. Newer is not always better.

The real improvements to irons has been in the game improvement category where new materials and technology has made these irons easier to hit, more forgiving with higher and longer ball flights. Tour player don't tend to embrace these irons because there not designed to work or flight the ball. There designed to go straight, high and far, something most amateur golfers should pursue.

They do this by primarily two methods, first the shaft length and shaft weights in the off the rack iron sets are longer and lighter. Secondly they can move so much weight around in the head of a game improvement iron and lower the CG that with the new golf balls you can pick up a club or two in length. Lastly many manufacturers have made the lofts on irons so strong in the past decade that you now have pitching wedges that are 44 and 45 degrees. That was the loft of some 8 or 9 irons 25 years ago. No surprise your hitting it longer!

Like everything else golf equipment depreciates a ton in a very quick period of time. Manufactures like Taylormade are a big contributor to this because they are constantly releasing so called better versions of their last releases or brand new technology that they claim enhance distance and performance.

They average golfer does not generate enough club head speed or impacts the sweet spot on a golf club to see the kind of gains that manufactures claim. I will admit that that they have made the sweet spot marginally bigger on golf clubs but because the clubs today have longer shafts your odds of hitting the sweet spot decreases therefore you give back yardage on toe and heal hits.

The moral of this story is wait until the other guy wants to buy the latest and greatest and pick up his perfectly good equipment at half the retail price or less. Hit as much loft as you can on your driver and fairway woods and don't fall into the trap of longer and stiffer shafts are the way to go. Dozens of PGA touring pros are going back to 43" and 44" drivers.

My two cents!

PS, I'm on my way out the door to buy some technology. You'll most likely see it for sale on Ottawa Golf in the coming months for half of what I paid for it.

LOL!

mr. chopper
    Last edited by mr. chopper; 04-21-2017 at 10:51 AM.

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar
    Funny how some will spend hundreds of dollars on new clubs & technology with the promise of gaining 5-10 yards more???
    Why would a recreational golfer invest into $1500+ iron sets????$600 Drivers????$400+ Putters????
    Jack Nicklaus was hitting 340 yard drives with a persimmon-headed Driver.
    Most recreational golfers can achieve low scoring games if they just keep it in the fairway and hit it straight.
    Everybody wants that monster drive...but do you need it and does it stay in play most of the time? Long drive bragging rights or lower scores...which one would you rather have. Most can only achieve one or the other.
    Paying alot of money for clubs isn't going to get you closer to tour status. Consistent straight in-play balls will provide more game enjoyment than playing out of the rough or hazards.
    This can be achieved with just about any equipment.
    Manufacturers are marketing towards buyers ego's and vanities rather than abilities.
    First Golfer.."Hey look at my $3000 Golf gear...oh yeah, and I shoot in the 90's." Second Golfer..."I shoot in the 80's with my $300 Dunlop set"
    I agree the game improvement clubs are what most buyers should be considering. Tour equipment is exactly what it's for...Tour players.
    Buy a reasonably price set of clubs, take some lessons, play with some companions and enjoy the game!

Thread Information