CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Bizzzer

Lift, clean and place.

Hi there !

I've been playing golf for over 35 years at a high amateur level.

When playins "prefered lies" in the fairways with the clean, lift and place procedure, I always marked my ball with a tee, cleaned it then replaced it within the lenth autorized.

Before I'm ready to play, I usually leave my tee in place in case my ball moves. I remove the tee before hitting my shot.

My question is the following : I was told that as soon as my fingers leave the ball, it's considered "in play". Is that right ? Is it a new procedure ? Is it a local rule ? What is that rule's number ?

Thank you in advance !

Bizzzer from Quebec

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    My question is the following : I was told that as soon as my fingers leave the ball, it's considered "in play". Is that right ? Is it a new procedure ? Is it a local rule ? What is that rule's number ?
    No, it's not new. It's always been that way. Once a ball is dropped or placed, it is in play. It doesn't make any difference whether you have lifted the marker or not.

20-4. When Ball Dropped or Placed is in Play
    If the player’s ball in play has been lifted, it is again in play when dropped or placed.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzzer
    Before I'm ready to play, I usually leave my tee in place in case my ball moves. I remove the tee before hitting my shot.
    AND, there is no need to be concerned about your ball moving as there is no penalty if you have not addressed it. When placing the ball I assume that you did so in such a manner that it would not move.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    The same Rule applies when you drop a ball.

The ball is IN PLAY the moment it leaves your fingers from shoulder height. Not when it hits the ground or rolls to a stop after it hits the ground.

Thread Information