100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No woods

Pitching Wedge GrantTotten is on a distinguished road

No woods

Hi all. Looking for some opinions here.

Recently I got my (quite old, but still pretty good) set of clubs re-gripped. What a difference! I couldn't believe how much better they felt. But I digress.

The shop didn't re-grip my woods (1 and 4) because the shafts were bent, and I completely agree. They're quite old and wood technology has improved SO much, that it would have been foolish to re-grip these old beasts. They were real wood!

Anyway, I've been playing without any woods in my bag and have been feeling a little "short". I was thinking the most useful woods for me would be 1, 3 and 5. I don't want to run out and buy them all at once (too much $$, especially when the house needs to be painted). I think I'll get one wood now, another in a month or so, and so on.

So I'm looking for your opinions on which club I should get first. And any comments on specific brands/configurations would be welcome too.

Thanks,
    Grant

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    3 wood, 5 wood - Driver

3 wood first for it's versatility & length
    Driver last 'cause it is seldom needed, and overused

Hybrid Chris is on a distinguished road Chris's Avatar
    I agree with Dan that the 3 wood should be your first choice.
    You'll get some good distance off the tee, as well it's good on the fairways. You'll probably find that with the new technologies in club heads these days that you will most likely hit the ball just as far if not farther than you did with your old bent driver. However you may have to make some adjustments now that you will be hitting the ball with a club that has a straight shaft.

3 Iron donh is on a distinguished road donh's Avatar

Thumbs up Woods

Agree with Dan,

In my usual rounds I rarely use my driver. My golf buddy usually tells me to leave it in the bag anyway. His comments are that I don't lose much distance going from a driver to 3-wood, but I gain a ton of accuracy.

Cheers,
    Thanks for the screen-time.

Speaking of distance...

Thanks for the replies. 3-wood it is. Any suggestions about brand/where to get it/etc? I really can't justify $300 for a golf club, so I was thinking maybe a used one...

What is the general concensus on getting custom-fitted clubs? I ran into a guy at the Stittsville flea market Sunday that seemed to think that was the way to go. (But of course that's what he does for a living ;-)

Speaking of distance, I've been working on my swing with Ross Leeder at the Conley range, and it's starting to feel pretty good. Yesterday I played at Glen Mar and on the par-5 6th hole I got the best "drive" (2-iron) I've ever made. Too bad I wasn't planning on that distance and it rolled too far into the woods... Grrr.

Grant

Hi Grant,

I just bought all new woods and irons and have an Orlimar Trimetal 10.5* driver, and a McGregor (Titanium) 3 & 5 wood that I would sell. All are great woods with graphite shafts. New they cost me over $600. If you are intersted in any of them let me know. I would let you have them all for a very reasonable price of $200.

Woods

Hi Again,

I received your message, however I have this recurring problem when sending a private messages saying, 'Sorry! You cannot send that message at the moment because the administrator has specified that you may only send one message every 60 seconds.'
    Last edited by Chris; 06-12-2002 at 07:50 AM.

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road
    if your looking for a 3 wood, try the
    callaway steelhead...i have one, and when i first got it several people tried it and they ended up
    buying one as well...its real easy to hit from the fairway..good distance, and its face is deep enough that you have no problems hitting it off a tee...some of the shallow face fairway woods are no fun to hit off a tee...ok from the ground, but the face is to shallow to make good contact when the ball is played off a tee...
    try it ....you will like it...

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Try Chuck Brown's. You can usually pickup new or used clubs that are in good shape and a couple of years old for about 25-50% of their price new.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    3 Wood first.

I carry a 3 wood and 5 wood and do not carry a driver. The loss in accuracy is not worth it.

I've had Taylor Made Bubble Burners for years and love them.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking Soooo........what did you get?

GrantTotten............ It"s been a week since your last post. Have you bought your club yet? And what did you end up getting? Was just wondering after reading the thread.....

Curiousity has gotten the best of me
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Not yet...

I've been emailing with Chris who has offered his 1,3,5 woods for sale, but we've not gotten together yet.

Soon...

Grant

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Hey Grant,
    3 and a 5 wood for sure. Try to demo the clubs before you buy (if possible). Also my father-in-law and a few buddies swear by a 7 wood. They use it off both off the tee and fairway. They find it more accurate than there irons. Good luck

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Thumbs up 7 wood

I also throw my vote for a 7 wood. I leave my three iron at home.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Distances?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of distances can I expect to get from a 5 and 7 wood? I'm thinking there would be some overlap with some of my irons.

Generally, would a 7-wood be more consistent/easier to hit than an equivalent long iron?

Thanks,
    Grant

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Distances

Grant,

From my experience, I don't carry my 5 wood anymore, in fact I do not even have one. I had trouble hitting my 3 iron, fade, fade, slice..., and my 7 wood corrects that for me. I hit my 7 wood anywhere from around 200-215, give or take a few yards depending on how I hit it. I count on 200 yard average though, and after a year of hitting it, I am comfortable at that level.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Grant
    My 5 wood gets me 220-225.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Thumbs up 7 wood

I'm with Colby - a 7 wood generally replaces a 3 iron for most players - it is easier to hit and more consistant. I find that the thing to watch for when hitting a 7 wood is distance control - I can hit a towering high shot for 160 yards (my 4 iron distance) or a 210 yard rocket off the tee - but contact is always good and the shots are almost always straight.

Thread Information