CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Iron TheBananaSlice is on a distinguished road

Membership troubles

I have been having real problems with my membership this year and would like some imput to know if I'm being unreasonable. To me a full membership implies that I should be able to golf pretty much anytime I want (within reason -- i understand that the course will have some tournaments and that tee times may not allow for me to come out). During the past 3 weeks, however, I have been told by my course about 8 times that I cannot come out to golf.

This denial of golf stems from the fact that they have had about 14 (im not kidding) shotgun tournaments in the past few weeks. These tournaments generally run from about 12-530, meaning that I cannot golf during these hours. Okay fine, so i try to work aroiund this by going out before the tournaments. In an effort to appease their members however, sometimes on these days they have member shotguns that begin at 800am. I often work nights until 930-1000pm and do not feel like leaving the house again at 715am to be there in time for the shotgun.

So, in effect, I cannot golf several times a week. I am thinking about asking for a refund of my membership and going somewhere else. Is this unreasonable? Is anyone else having similiar problems?
    Last edited by TheBananaSlice; 06-22-2005 at 12:47 PM. Reason: fixing spelling error

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I've not had those problems at my course, although it is more by pure coincidence of schedules. We have "theme days" like Senior Day and Ladies Day, both of which are big successes. During those days (Wed & Thurs) it is near impossible to get out. My new day off during the week is now Wednesday, so I'm likely to start getting a bit annoyed as well.

All I can tell you is that before you sign up for membership, you should research the course a bit to find out if it is very popular for tournaments. Also find out how many tee times per day are reserved for members...

Cheers, and good luck.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBananaSlice
    So, in effective, I cannot golf several times a week. I am thinking about asking for a refund of my membership and going somewhere else. Is this unreasonable?
    I think you're going to have an easier time of understanding this if you look at both sides. Your side is very clear. You are limited by work for golf times. However, the golf course is limited too. They make a lot of money on golf tournaments and that keeps the course solvent and able to supply you with golf.

The membership contract doesn't stipulate that you can golf whenever you want. It says that whenever you golf, you don't pay greens fees. You are not guaranteed 150 rounds and you are not limited to 10 rounds. You may play as often as a spot is available for you. If that is 250 times, then you don't get charged extra, but then you don't get a refund if you only golf 20 times either. Your golf is dictated by circumstance. If members book all the tee times you want before you do, you can't golf then either. Similarly, the golf course cannot guarantee that they will be able to book you in only when *you* are available. But they want you back and try their best to find a way to get you in.

This is probably a lesson to learn. (You're not at the Canadian by any chance? ) If you approach them in an indignant way and demand your money back, you won't get a lot of co-operation. If you calmly explain your situation and ask them if you have any options, then you'll get a lot further and you'll maintain goodwill with them. Next membership you buy, you might consider finding out how many tournaments they have beforehand or look for a course with an active and open membership.

....also, most clubs allow you to chip, putt and use the driving range, even when they have a tournament going on.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Thread Information