CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Best tip for hitting longer as a senior

I find that this year i have lost about 6-7 yards on irons. Recommend a tip to increasing distance with driver and irons? Speed and rotation come to mind. What say you experts that i should work on the most?
    Much appreciated

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Hey Marcos I'll answer anyways even if I am not an expert. I have had very similar experience, I am 62, lost closer to 10 yards in the last 12 years. With the extra time I had with COViD I put together some homemade superspeed weighted shafts and did their protocol training. I am starting phase 2 and have seen an increase in swing speed for sure. I also have arthritis in my back knee so my brother in law who is a certified teacher suggested I switch to a stack and tilt swing to reduce the pressure on that leg. I found it easy to do and rotation is key as you said but the setup makes rotation much easier. I have dropped 2 points off my HC and I am hoping to continue this trend.

I can tell you I am seeing my distance come back to the level of 10 years ago for sure. I also think increasing your core strength and flexibility is extremely important as we get older.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Hey Marcos I'll answer anyways even if I am not an expert. I have had very similar experience, I am 62, lost closer to 10 yards in the last 12 years. With the extra time I had with COViD I put together some homemade superspeed weighted shafts and did their protocol training. I am starting phase 2 and have seen an increase in swing speed for sure. I also have arthritis in my back knee so my brother in law who is a certified teacher suggested I switch to a stack and tilt swing to reduce the pressure on that leg. I found it easy to do and rotation is key as you said but the setup makes rotation much easier. I have dropped 2 points off my HC and I am hoping to continue this trend.

I can tell you I am seeing my distance come back to the level of 10 years ago for sure. I also think increasing your core strength and flexibility is extremely important as we get older.
    Merci Luc. Do you think speed is the answer more so than anything else.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Hi Marcos, I think flexibility and strength training is very important but the speed training did work. I have a small device to measure swing speed and it is very accurate and after the first 6 weeks I added 6mph which is 15-18 yards on the driver. I was doing the ST at the same time and that has something to do with the increase in distance since I feel I am making much crisper contact on the ball.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Hi Marcos, I think flexibility and strength training is very important but the speed training did work. I have a small device to measure swing speed and it is very accurate and after the first 6 weeks I added 6mph which is 15-18 yards on the driver. I was doing the ST at the same time and that has something to do with the increase in distance since I feel I am making much crisper contact on the ball.
    Sound advise mon ami. Thanks

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Kick your ball up the fairway when your buds are not looking I hear you Marc---it also has a little to do with this age thing At 75 I am definitely noticing a difference; but every once in a while I manage to hit a good one and forget all about the loosing distance----definitely eying the "forward tees"
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Kick your ball up the fairway when your buds are not looking I hear you Marc---it also has a little to do with this age thing At 75 I am definitely noticing a difference; but every once in a while I manage to hit a good one and forget all about the loosing distance----definitely eying the "forward tees"
    Mac, i been 'kickin' the ball in the fairways for years.LOL. I have started alternating from senior tees to the whites depending on how long the par 4's are. If they are within 350 yrds, its not bad. Anything over that, well i struggle. But i hear ya, this getting old crap is not what i thought it would be but its better than being dead !!!!

1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road
    I have been speed training also to help with distance.

here is an article I think makes good sense in regards to training for speed

https://www.mytpi.com/articles/swing...speed_training

Quote Originally Posted by john8888 View Post
    I have been speed training also to help with distance.

here is an article I think makes good sense in regards to training for speed

https://www.mytpi.com/articles/swing...speed_training
    Great article John. Much appreciated and will look at this. Thanks

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Mac, i been 'kickin' the ball in the fairways for years.LOL. I have started alternating from senior tees to the whites depending on how long the par 4's are. If they are within 350 yrds, its not bad. Anything over that, well i struggle. But i hear ya, this getting old crap is not what i thought it would be but its better than being dead !!!!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Putter lauralipson is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I find that this year i have lost about 6-7 yards on irons. Recommend a tip to increasing distance with driver and irons? Speed and rotation come to mind. What say you experts that i should work on the most?
    Much appreciated
    Very few golfers maintain distance as they age. My best tip is to simply take an extra club or, perhaps try a softer 80 compression ball. Hope this helps.

Thread Information