CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outaouais

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

Outaouais

just read this on twitter

Interesting note for Ottawa golfers, a group of 30 investors has purchased the Outaouais Golf Club and renamed it Rockland Golf Club.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Had not realized they changed the name.This news came out last fall Jeff. Thanks for the update.

will be interesting to see the impact. I love the course and to me it's one of the best values in the city. I'd love to see a new clubhouse or at least some renovations. A proper deck/patio overlooking that hole would be incredible.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Yep, agree with you its a great course. There is one of the main owners who has a few $$$ Hopefully they will inject some major funds to update the clubhouse.I dont think you could improve the course itself as its just nice the way it is.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Will improving the clubhouse actually bring in that many more golfers?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    It depends on the golfers who enjoy the après-golf, I rarely stay after a game but a larger deck overlooking the 18th would be very nice and would be where I would head for a drink.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

no idea, it would be nice though. It could be a good way to attract new members but it has to make financial sense

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    i tried to find this, which twitter feed did you read this?

i can't recall to be honest, one of the local sports media

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    That is great news---hope they just return to their regular maintenance program---course is fine the way it is. IMHO---there is no need for a new clubhouse---maybe a few renovations and paint etc. Spending money to put a "fake face" on things just begs trouble.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I can't honestly believe that an old clubhouse is the reason for a lack of business and a struggling golf course...

It is a super nice layout, 27 holes, always in great shape... so why the struggles?

Price of green fees?
    Distance to get there?
    Better deals out there?
    Slow pace of play?

For me, it is just way to far and I have other options much closer that offer good value also.

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    I can't honestly believe that an old clubhouse is the reason for a lack of business and a struggling golf course...

It is a super nice layout, 27 holes, always in great shape... so why the struggles?

Price of green fees?
    Distance to get there?
    Better deals out there?
    Slow pace of play?

For me, it is just way to far and I have other options much closer that offer good value also.
    the clubhouse isn't the reason at least not for green fee players. Members perhaps.

Green fees are some of the best in the city in terms of value for what you are getting. That and I play twilight if i play there which is under $30. Pace of play has always been ok in my experience. It is a long way unless you live in the east end. I am in the south end and it's 45 min for me on a good day. Too many other options a lot closer for me than going there and if I do go, it's often twlight which is a PITA to go east on the 417 at that time. I do like playing it once or twice a year though.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Have to agree with jeffc. you cannot get better value for money than Outaouais. The course is always in great shape, great practice green with chipping green as well. I know it is a bit out of the way, but then again so is Equinelle, but it seems that their tee sheets are jammed all day. I think with proper marketing this course would see a dramatic increase in business. The only publicity I have seen for Outaouais has been negative, and it had nothing to do with the layout of conditioning. It was all about the demise of the course. If you haven't played here in a while I would definitely recommend it.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KOKO72 View Post
    I know it is a bit out of the way, but then again so is Equinelle, but it seems that their tee sheets are jammed all day.
    If you live in Kanata it's only about 30 min to eQuinelle and it's even closer from Barrhaven, etc.

Unless you live in the east end of the city eQuinelle is closer for a lot of people.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Playing Winter Rules huge21 is on a distinguished road
    I would like to see a decrease in membership fees as the course is almost in my backyard and could go play after work without having to drive at least 30 min to go to any course. But i dont think it will happen

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    The only negative i have heard about this course is the members and the click, they dont like non members coming in and dont get treated well.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I think this aspect is getting less frequent as time goes on and as newer members come in. I have never had a problem.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ladygolfer13 View Post
    The only negative i have heard about this course is the members and the click, they dont like non members coming in and dont get treated well.
    I have experienced this as well.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    I have played Outaouais on many occasions over the last few years and have never been treated badly. I have found the staff very professional and the few members that I have played with very cordial. I guess it depends on who you happen to run into on any given day.

Ace Felix is on a distinguished road Felix's Avatar
    There are some pretty snotty members there but they are the A class golfers ( the click you are speaking of )

I found it to be less apparent in recent years as the membership goes through some changes
    Lefty Lucas

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    I have played there many times and I always felt welcome... great players.

Need a Caddy slash is on a distinguished road
    I have been a member there for over 30 years & the issue mostly is more course got built around ottawa. More choices & more options likein executive golf & others when you can play any of the nice course for half the price. Going east on the 174 in the afternoon is a nightmare. Price are great compare the others in the same category. We do have a few members that might not welcome green fees but they are very few of them. Like any semi private club we have groups going out to play their own game, but lots of single guest or green fees join us if we are a tree some or less. I welcome playing with any green fee at my club. The click of class A which I am is a non issue, it may seems that because we are playing as groups of 16 or more might seem snobby, but the fact is there are more class B playing in these groups than class A. Look at the website to check the membership fees & you have quite a few choices to join. I for one took the $995.00 membership paying so much per game depending on the hours you are playing. The best rate would be at after 2 P.M. for $10.00. On last year website you can still see the 2016 rates for green fees & all the special, which I thought were very reasonable. I play with other class A, B & C., & most of the issue would be slow play & not with the B & C class. Playing with class A are usually longer & boring for me, so we usually just walk faster to speed up play with them. lol. Have a great summer guys. If you see my name on the sheet you are welcome to join me.

2 Iron Guzman is on a distinguished road Guzman's Avatar
    This is the same I heard/ experience, once you get fame for being snobbish you be fighting that for a long time, I have friends that refuse to play there because they fell discriminated against.
    Quote Originally Posted by ladygolfer13 View Post
    "Everyone is born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" Ben Franklyn.

I had a long talk with the new director of golf this week---there ARE changes being made to pricing and also to booking which will help green fee players. What has been mentioned above has not been denied but maybe the cordial explanations to some of the changes will change our minds. The new owners apparently are acutely aware of the concerns of green fee players. It is a great course--hopefully they will make it right.

I agree Big Mac, I know someone on the inside and it seems there have been major changes to ownership structure and they are 100% committed to their members and the important role that green fee players have in the success of their courses. I for one have not encountered any snobbishness in years. I did encounter much more at Sorcier for other reasons but even there I have seen a vast improvement in customer service.
    Lefty Lucas

I have also noticed the change at Sorcier With the tightening up of business practices I really think this could be a year of good changes in the golf business. I did a little research on our EG/GS etc and found that (esp if you are a senior) there are many options for decently price golf in our area. Lets hope it continues to improve

Thread Information