CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road

Choosing your tee

Played, what I assume will be, my final round this season today. Given the cold weather, I decided to play from the white tees (approximately 6,000 yards). I'm going to make this really short - I had a great time! I shot a 76 and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I wasn't looking for balls and had a number of great looks at birdie. This is the third time I've played from the white tees this season (my three last rounds) and the results were all the same. Look, I'm not telling anyone what to do. To each their own. But, as the season closes, maybe it's something for some to consider. I play with guys all the time who struggle to break 85 from the blue tees and leave the course pissed right off. Why not play the whites and maybe break 80? I seldom play the gold tees (7,000 yards) for this very reason. It's just asking me to punch beyond my weight class and I seldom come out feeling satisfied. I play the same course so I pretty much know what tees are appropriate on home turf, but when I travel I look at the card and pay special attention to the par 3's. Others might elvaute based on different metrics, but I know my yardages and don't enjoy hitting driver then 3 wood into par fours.

In any event, I've run on long enough. I just want to leave a little food for thought and hope everyone enjoys the offseason. I think choosing the right tees will help improve pace of play and it should make the game more enjoyable.

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    I always play the white tees. I am 74 and still carry a 9 handicap. Lot more fun scoring well.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I dont play over 6000 yrds anymore as i cant reach most par 4's in two shots. I always look at the yardage and make my decision based on that.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rpangman View Post
    I always play the white tees. I am 74 and still carry a 9 handicap. Lot more fun scoring well.
    My simple philosophy is to play a course at a length which will permit me to use every club in the bag, after hitting a decent drive. With the distance loss that happens with age (age 71) playing from the whites on Greensmere Legacy, whites or blacks on Premiere, allows me to do this and has increased my enjoyment of the game. While moving up to the whites will increase my handicap factor because of the ridiculously low course rating at the shorter length, that number is of little importance compared to enjoying the game more.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Still playing from the whites---age 71 and average score of 86 after 13 years of playing. I do agree with Mark---6000 yds is long when you get to 15 I feel it. After 13 years I finally broke 80--shot 78 at Mountain Creek ( I Know I Know) but you still have to make the shots.

Lets just hope I live long enough to shoot my age

Have a great off season
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Still playing from the whites---age 71 and average score of 86 after 13 years of playing. I do agree with Mark---6000 yds is long when you get to 15 I feel it. After 13 years I finally broke 80--shot 78 at Mountain Creek ( I Know I Know) but you still have to make the shots.

Lets just hope I live long enough to shoot my age

Have a great off season
    Buddy, you are playing some great golf all things considered. Enjoy your time down south.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I consider the slope and rating not just length, played Mystic Dunes which was quite short but the crazy greens made scoring very difficult
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I consider the slope and rating not just length, played Mystic Dunes which was quite short but the crazy greens made scoring very difficult
    I absolutely agree, length isn't the only determining factor. That said, it's a huge one. Watching guys who can't carry their tee shot 220 yards playing from 7,000 yards is both funny and frustrating. If some could swallow their pride they might discover the chance to have a couple birdie putts from inside 16 feet and not just 25+ foot puts for par or worse. But to each their own I guess. So long as they don't hold groups up, it doesn't matter to me.

Sand Wedge DMWARREN is on a distinguished road
    Started doing the same 2 years ago. Makes golf a lot more enjoyable and I find I want to play more.

Putter Snapps is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rpangman View Post
    I always recommend these protein powders for gaining muscle and play the white tees. I am 74 and still carry a 9 handicap. Lot more fun scoring well.
    I always play the white tees too!
    Last edited by Snapps; 06-02-2021 at 08:05 AM.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I completely agree, I have a friend who always wants to play from the tips but can never get off the tee box??? I only have to point to Montebello which is less than 5800 yds from the whites but has a slope of 123, Sorcier from the white tees is a little over 5800 yds but with a slope of 116 to show that length is not the be all of golf courses.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information