CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge Rlps23 is on a distinguished road

Recommended OEM Fitters in Ottawa

Mods go easy if I am in the wrong place as I don’t post often.

I am looking for a whole new set of sticks including putter and I would like to obviously get professionally fit given the investment. That said, over the course of my last two fittings in the Ottawa area, one from a certified independent fitter with flightscope, another from an OEM rep and trackman, I came away disappointed particularly with the lack of options that the fitters presented me with. Quick example, I got fitted for soft-stepped x-100s but only hit vs S-300s and never got to hit Nippons, KBS, Project X etc…. Even though they were probably the right shaft at the time, I had nothing to compare them to outside True Temper.

For the driver, after we settled on a head, I only hit three shafts (Rogue Silver 60 - S, Rogue Black 70 S and Whiteboard S), in this case, it was actually a questionable choice and after a solid season comparing, the new driver and shaft nominally improved dispersion but was consistently shorter than my previous gamer (I will gladly sacrifice some distance for accuracy, but not by that much with almost identical ball speeds and spin, the issue was trajectory). I was disappointed that I never got to hit a Rogue Silver 125 or try Tour Green, R.I.P, Graphite Design models, Fujikura models, Oban models, Matrik, etc… when those may have been options worth at least exploring. In fact, I was surprised that as a highly regarded and popular OEM fitter, he did not seem to have most of those available. It is also an adjustable driver and I was surprised that there was not even an attempt to play with the settings to better fit my swing. Moreover, in what was supposed to be a complete process, I never had my hands measured, or height taken, etc… I was simply told that I am stock length, lie and grip. We never discussed gaps to my wedges… Point made.

Now I understand that many here rave about certain fitters on this board (Don and Les?) and I am happy to take your advice and contact them; however, no matter how much I know that custom products such as Miura and even KZG rival the most high end OEM models in quality and design but I am still very much a fan of OEM clubs and would not consider anything but.

So, in sum, do you have any recommendations on an experienced fitter that could provide me with the full custom experience, particularly for shaft selection with OEM heads rather than those licensed through specialty shops (i.e. KZG, Maltby, Miura, etc…)? I am also looking forward to try a wide range of putters including Bettinardi and Scottys…

If you have any questions do not hesitate.

Cheers

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlps23 View Post
    In fact, I was surprised that as a highly regarded and popular OEM fitter, he did not seem to have most of those available.
    Cheers
    You have to understand that keeping such a selection can be very costly for any clubmaker. I'd suggest a trip to Modern Golf.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/251293/modern...promised-land/

Attachment 55222
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Sand Wedge Rlps23 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the reply,

I will definitely try to make my way to Modern Golf if I find myself in TO between now and the beginning of the season, I had that as a last resort option.

I am confused as why this would be such an added cost to fitters, wouldn't manufacturers want certified fitters to have as many options for their clients as possible and provide them with demos accordingly? Now, I understand that their are a gazillion shaft models, plus weights and flexes, but at least carry a good selection of flagship and popular models / weights... . Case in point, Titleist offers both the Adila Tour Green and Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec at no upcharge; as I am made to understand, there is nowhere in Ottawa/Gatineau I can test those shafts vs their stock offerings or against an insanely popular (and expensive) model such as the GD - YS 6+, under the watchful eye of a certified and experience fitter?

Maybe the more appropriate question is, which fitter has the most extensive selection of shafts in the Ottawa/Gatineau area? I would include Montreal as well. I suspect Golf Works but then I don't think they have a trackman or I am wrong?

Again many thanks.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlps23 View Post
    ? I would include Montreal as well. I suspect Golf Works but then I don't think they have a trackman or I am wrong?

Again many thanks.

Golfworks has a sophisticated launch monitor. Don't know if it's a trackman but I can find out.

Don't know about the golf shaft industry but usually in other markets suppliers have a demo program at a reduced cost but you still have to pay for demos. Small time shops simply don't have the room and money to stock all those shafts. In some instances you have to buy a minimum amount or provide financial credentials or be on the list of approved dealers.
    A good clubfitter will usually have the Wishon profiling software and they'll work with that instead of stocking a large inventory.
    http://theclubmaker.ca/2014/09/12/wi...file-software/
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 01-09-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information