Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Steve, I guess you just don't get it..
    I guess not.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    This is one of our "local rules" on the OG Tour for that very same reason. It speeds up play.
    When you go to a golf course, you can play any game you wish on the course.

One of those games is Golf.
    ALL of the rest of the games, I classify under the general heading of Flog (golf spelled backwards).

The game of Golf has very specific rules and procedures.
    When you follow the Rules and procedures, you may call your game golf.

When you play a round on the Ottawa Golf Tour, you are playing flog.
    It sounds to me like your game is quite similar to golf, however, it is NOT golf.
    There is nothing wrong with playing flog. Have fun and enjoy your day.

However, do not confuse this with playing an actual round of Golf.

BTW - el tigre has pretty much summarized why you can't add the provisional ball rule to the unplayable ball rule.

From Webster's Dictionnary.......

golf n an outdoor game in which the player attempts to hit a small ball with clubs around a turfed course into succesion of holes in the smallest number of strokes

flog vt (pt flogged) to beat harshly with a rod, stick or whip

Seems to me either way, I'm playing golf. Does not say anything about rules.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I guess not.
    Okay, I'll give it one last try. Since the hour is getting late, I think it is time for a little bedtime story...

Once upon a time there were four golfers named Steve, Dan, g8r and El Tigre who all played on the Ottawa Golf Tour. The OG Tour held “cleaners” tournaments throughout the summer, with full handicaps used for scoring. One day in June, the four golfers formed the last group in a tournament being held at the Nation Golf Course.

It was a miserable day, with howling winds and a persistent, cold rain. As they strolled up to the tee on 18th hole (a tricky downhill par-3 into an island green), they were reminded that nobody in the tournament had won a cleaner yet. So ALL the money in the tournament was available to be won by one of the last four golfers on the course. Not only that, but because of the miserable weather the best score so far on the 18th hole was a net bogey! The money was ripe for the picking.

Dan sailed his tee shot into the air, but a gust of wind blew it sideways into the greenside bunker. G8r was next up, but his shot landed a little short and bounced into the creek surrounding the island green. Steve then hit a towering blast that landed on the very back edge of the green – not bad, but the hole was located at the front of the green about 50 feet away. He still had some work to do for his par.

Now it was El Tigre’s turn. He was confident he could do better – after all, with his 36.4 handicap he was getting a stroke on this hole over the rest of the field! As he stepped up to the tee, the wind died down, the rain stopped and the sun appeared from behind a cloud. Things were looking good indeed. He let loose with a mighty swing – and duffed his shot! The ball rolled down the hill, past the ladies’ tee (thankfully) and out of sight into some thick grass on the steep hillside. Steve, Dan and g8r let loose with a hearty laugh and proceeded to walk down the cart path.

“But wait” said El Tigre. “I’m going to play a provisional, just in case I can’t find that first one”. The other golfers simply looked at each other and shrugged. “Sure, whatever” said Steve. So El Tigre teed up another, and once again let loose with a mighty swing. This time, the ball soared into the air, bounced on the green and landed into the cup!

Steve, Dan and g8r were in shock. They stood there frozen, and suddenly they raced down the hillside to look for El Tigre’s original ball. Eureka! Within 30 seconds they found it in a nasty, downhill lie in the thick, long grass on the hillside. El Tigre came over, and sure enough it was his original ball.

(So far so good, right Steve? But now things get REALLY interesting - because you see, how the story ends depends totally on which rules of golf you are using).

OPTIONAL ENDING #1 – THE OFFICIAL RULES OF GOLF ENDING

El Tigre consulted the Official Rules of Golf. It stated he MUST abandon the provisional ball in favour of his original ball. He sighed, and decided his best option was to play another ball from the tee. It was a fine shot that landed on the green, but not nearly as glorious as the shot with his provisional ball. He two-putted for double-bogey, which after his handicap stroke became a bogey. No money for El Tigre today!

Meanwhile, Dan failed to get up-and-down from the bunker and carded a bogey. G8r dropped behind the hazard, hit a nice pitch to 3 feet and putted out for bogey. But Steve stroked a nice lag putt to within 6 inches of the hole. He tapped in for a par and pumped his fist in a Tiger-like fashion. He won! Everyone went back to the clubhouse and congratulated Steve on his fine play. He took home all the money and lived happily ever after. THE END.

OPTIONAL ENDING #2 – THE OG TOUR RULES OF GOLF ENDING

El Tigre consulted the OG Tour Rules of Golf and chuckled. “I’m declaring my original ball unplayable” he said, “and instead I will use my provisional”. The other golfers looked at El Tigre’s provisional ball lying in the cup, and suddenly it dawned on them. “Wait a minute” said Steve. “With your handicap, using your provisional means you scored a net birdie!” El Tigre smiled. “Yep” he said. “Thanks for bringing in that special OG Tour Provisional rule, Steve. I could never have done it without you.”

Steve, Dan and g8r walked down the hill shaking their heads. Dan failed to get up-and-down from the bunker and carded a bogey. G8r dropped behind the hazard, hit a nice pitch to 3 feet and putted out for bogey. But Steve hit a nice lag to within 6 inches of the hole. Disgusted, he tapped in for a par and threw his putter into the air in a Tiger-like fashion. Steve walked back to the clubhouse muttering to himself about how his rule change could have somehow managed to let El Tigre win all money after duffing his tee shot. El Tigre collected his cash and went straight to the bank (laughing all the way) and lived happily ever after. THE END.

Okay Steve, time for bed. Good night, sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!
    Last edited by el tigre; 06-23-2005 at 09:05 AM.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

You should give up golf and write a short golf story. Send it in to Readers Digest and enjoy life as a novelist.

Oh btw......with those ideas lurking in your mind, thanks for not signing up for the tour this year.
    Last edited by NoBack; 06-23-2005 at 06:35 AM.

Oh btw......with those ideas lurking in your mind, thanks for not signing up for the tour this year.
    You're not cheating if you're playing by the rules. It is not the player's fault if the rules give him an advantage that was not foreseen by the rulemakers.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    The OG Tour held “cleaners” tournaments throughout the summer, with full handicaps used for scoring. One day in June, the four golfers formed the last group in a tournament being held at the Nation Golf Course
    Gee, I shot 77 that day....

P.S. nice story Terry

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    That was an excellent story, and a very nice way to expose the use of the rule. I believe, however, that on the ogt, your fellow competitors would be deligted to see your provisional ball aced, and congratulate you on an exceptional shot rather that fret over loosing a cleaner.

"Richard"
    I guess that doesn't count as a hole in one anyway since its your 3rd shot does it? If that happened to me would I be allowed to say "I had a hole in one?"

No its not a hole in one, its a hell of a par, though.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I guess that doesn't count as a hole in one anyway since its your 3rd shot does it? If that happened to me would I be allowed to say "I had a hole in one?"
    You could say you put it in from the tee, but it's not a hole in one as you're shooting 3.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    I believe, however, that on the ogt, your fellow competitors would be deligted to see your provisional ball aced, and congratulate you on an exceptional shot rather that fret over losing a cleaner.
    Heh heh heh. Steve fret over losing a cleaner worth ALL the money in the tournament?? Never!

I rather liked the way Steve's reactions were both "tiger-like"

once again, nice story. you have a knack for writing Terry.

1dash1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    Can anybody tell me the Rules that break the "rule of thumb" and allow a ball to be dropped on a putting green?
    Gary:

Since no one answered your question, I'll give it a go:
    • Rule 1-4, situations where replacing the ball in a bunker is not possible. (Example: rake removed, ball resting against rake moves, and the only place where ball will remain at rest in the bunker is closer to the hole.)
    • Rule 24-2, when dropping the ball from a bunker, taking the penalty stroke. (Example: ball sitting on exposed plastic bunker liner, everywhere else in the bunker is closer to the hole.)
    • Rule 25-1, when dropping the ball from a bunker, taking the penalty stroke. (Example: ball in completely submerged bunker.)
    • Rule 26-1, the two options referencing the point where the ball last crossed the margin for taking relief from a water hazard/lateral water hazard.
    • Rule 26-2, a few hypothetically solutions involving the player's ball played from a water hazard.
    • Rule 28, the two relief options referencing the unplayable ball's final position.
    Then there are odd local rules:
    • Drop zones for situations like island greens or for oddly configured green layouts.
    EDIT: I corrected a number of situations above where R. 20-5 acted to preempt dropping on the putting green. I deleted a reference to a ball in a tree rooted in Ground Under Repair, overhanging the putting green. And I deleted a reference to a double-green situation that was also incorrect.

Just goes to show how little I know off the top of my head.
    Last edited by 1dash1; 07-05-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Putter historian is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    Can anybody tell me the Rules that break the "rule of thumb" and allow a ball to be dropped on a putting green?
    No-one seems to have taken up your challenge, yet.

How about these:
    26-1c (i) or (ii) for a lateral water hazard next to a green. If part of the green is within two clublengths of the last point of entry, a ball can be dropped there (subject to not being nearer the hole)

25-1b(ii)(b) can apply where a bunker is almost surrounded by a green (like some US Open venue, Riviera is it?) and under similar circumstances 24-2b(ii)(b).

There's one more rule with a couple of parts, and I know of three decision under which a ball can be dropped onto a green, but hey, it's no fun if I just list them so there's an exercise for others to work on for a bit...

Thread Information