CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Par CBrown is on a distinguished road

Reshafting a 350 bore driver with a 335 shaft

I'm in the process of reshafting my Taylor Made R540 Driver (with a shaft that's been getting alot of positive reports on this forum ...) and was disappointed to find out that the shaft that I'm interested in has a .335 tip diameter while my R540 has a .350 bore. I've always been a bit nervous about using those brass adaptor shims but I know that several of the OEMs (including Taylor Made) now produce custom adaptors to enable this type of reshafting. I'm still a bit uncertain. If anyone has experience with these adaptors and this type of reshafting can you please pass along some comments/advice?

Thanks in advance!!!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

.350 shafts

Craig,

I have used those brass shims extensively and have never had any problems.
    Apply the epoxy to the tip > put the shim on > apply more epoxy to the outside of shim. If it's too tight you can always cut of a few tangs. Though ensure they are alternating.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I have used the special adaptor made for a Taylormade. I have also used drywall tape with success thanks to Tom Flanagan on spinetalkers forum. I also believe Wopstergolf another clubmaker here has used brasss shims for quire sometime with success as well.

Thanks guys. I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot. If I can't get over my aversion to adaptors, the shaft will fit in my GBB II anyway. With the price that these shafts go for and the reviews that I've been seeing, I don't see how I can lose.

Thanks again.

Hey Andre...

Shouldn't you be on the golf course? I was at Champlain Thursday for the first time this year. I can see some changes made.. however wet
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    Hey Andre...

Shouldn't you be on the golf course? I was at Champlain Thursday for the first time this year. I can see some changes made.. however wet
    Church is tomorrow

with father green and the sisters of the holy shaft??

Ok, I'm getting a bit worried. The shaft came in today. I did a very rushed shaft job and the bloody adaptor from TM would barely fit over the shaft. After talking dirty to it for a few minutes and banging on it a bit, I was able to get the shaft to essentially bottom out on the adaptor ... it was not protruding at all ... I only had a few minutes left so I went ahead and attached the head. I appear to have a good tight fit but I'm concerned about how shallow the insertion is ... I'm used to the shaft bottoming out in the clubhead. Should I pull the shaft and start over? Help?!?

Unfortunately yes. If the shaft does not go down far enough it will play a lot more flexible and there is a also the possibility that the shaft might break. Here are a couple tips. Use 24 hour epoxy so if you screw up you can always redo it. A bit messy but efficient. Secondly before inserting the shaft and the adaptor coat the shaft tip and the adptor with epoxy. This will make the adaptor slide a lot more smoothly down the shaft and will also help the adaptor go in the hosel more smoothly. If you don't want to go that route use a heat gun FOR NO MORE THAN 10 SECONDS. The adaptor will soften. If that still does not work bring the club over and I,ll show you.

Thanks Andre. I just finished pulling everything apart (24 hour epoxy!) and I'm soaking the adaptor in some hot water to get it prepped for round 2 (the hot water trick has worked for me on some uncooperative ferrules in the past) ... I'll get it right this time! Thanks again!!!

OK. That should work. See if you can bring the ferrule to its final position before you finish the job off.

Oops. One more tip. Insert the shaft in the club without the adaptor. Now put the adaptor flush next to the hosel. Mark the fnal adaptor position with a marker. Pull out the shaft and prep the shaft to about 1/4 inch from the final position. You can use a carpet knife if you don't have a belt sander. All you need to do is remove the paint. This will make the adaptor go in a lot easier and when you get ready to do the final assembly the mark from the permanent marker will serve as a guide.

Funny that you should mention the prepping ... the shaft came pre-prepped but not far enough up the shaft to accomodate the adaptor ... there's an obvious change in diameter where the prepping ends and the adaptor is getting hung up on it ... once I've extended the prepping a bit I'm sure that the adaptor will slide on as expected ... thanks again !!!

Thread Information