CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Eagle mizzyboy is on a distinguished road

Golf in Scotland

Anyone have any experience golfing across the pond around November/December? I hear its low season so it might be worth a shot. Thanks.
    Go Sens Go or No Sens No? The struggle of a Sens fan.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I played St. Andrew's Old Course in mid-November as a single. It is low season - still busy but as a single you can just show up early as a walk-on and they will find a spot for you. A twosome might be able to get on at that time of year too. Starting in November they give everyone a piece of a golf mat to use for hitting off the fairways - you play it as it lies everywhere else. They will ask for your handicap card.

The nice thing about being a walk-on is that you can pick a day when the weather is nice - which is not a common occurrence in November in Scotland!

Europe 2010 032.jpg

Eagle mizzyboy is on a distinguished road
    That's my plan for sure - probably early December. How was it playing out of that mat? Aside from St. Andrews were the other courses accessible/playable as well? What if you don't have an official handicap since you don't play club golf but keep track of it via an app (Golfshot, etc.)

What are the temperatures like that time of year? Just slightly warmer than Ottawa right?

Also where did you fly in from and any recommendations for lodging?
    Go Sens Go or No Sens No? The struggle of a Sens fan.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzyboy View Post
    That's my plan for sure - probably early December. How was it playing out of that mat? Aside from St. Andrews were the other courses accessible/playable as well? What if you don't have an official handicap since you don't play club golf but keep track of it via an app (Golfshot, etc.)
    The mat was a bit of a pain but not that big a deal (its not like I hit from the fairway all the time!). St-Andrew's was the only course I played but others were open. Their main concern was that you had a handicap under 20 so you would not be hacking up the golf course - if you had a printout of your scores showing a handicap under 20 then I think you would be fine.

What are the temperatures like that time of year? Just slightly warmer than Ottawa right?
    Yes, as you can see in the photo I'm wearing a long-sleeve golf shirt and a fleece vest even though it is a sunny day - pretty much what I wear at this time of year playing in Ottawa.

Also where did you fly in from and any recommendations for lodging?
    I landed in Edinburgh via London and stayed with relatives about 20 minutes from St-Andrews.

Thread Information