100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Having trouble picking woods

Right now I have a 10* driver, 15* 3 wood, 19* 5 wood and a 21* 7 wood

Would it make more sense to change the 3 to a strong 3 so its 13* and then get a 4 wood isntead of a 5 wood so I'm at 17*

that way instead of being

10 I'd be 10
    15 .........13
    19 .........17
    21 .........21

i don't have a problem being at 10, 15, 19, 21 but i'm going to have these clubs for a long time and it just seems the gap between 10 and 15 is to much and between 19 and 21 is to little? Probably doesn't make much of a difference but when i get better won't I want it to be more evenly spaced out?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    It is all a matter of preference thotho. You'd have to hit them all and see what type of ball flight, control and distance you get. Tough for anyone here to tell you what to get.

"Richard"
    just from a purely practicle point of view then. Does it make sense to switch? i can hit all of the clubs well enough and next year I hope to be hitting them even better. i do slice and top a few times but its getting better

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Based on common tendancies, stick with what you have. Usually the more loft in each club you will hit straighter and develop more confidence as opposed to more distance and less accurracy. Just my two cents. A couple of degrees per club will not make a huge difference in distance.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GJohnston69
    Based on common tendancies, stick with what you have. Usually the more loft in each club you will hit straighter and develop more confidence as opposed to more distance and less accurracy. Just my two cents. A couple of degrees per club will not make a huge difference in distance.
    Agreed. Right now you need all the loft that you can get and while the 13* does have its advantages it is a lot harder to hitfrom tighter lies on the fairway. That 7 wood will soon become a favourite wood. Does your set makeup include a hybrid type club to replace a long iron?

An advantage of having 3 woods in the future is that you can add another wedge and perhaps when your handicap gets down there, this will be a consideration.

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

Woods

I used to have 3-5-7- and even 9 woods in my bag the first year I played. I am now in my third year and got rid of the 3-5-7 and don't carry the 9 wood anymore. I just bought a cleveland 460 launcher driver and went with the cleveland launcher 17* (4 wood) as my fairway wood. I am so much longer with this new driver that I dont need a 5 or 7 wood on par four. On par 5 i can easily hit this 4 wood off the fairway or the rough and only have maybe 50-60 yds left. I became so much longer with these 2 clubs that I replaced my 5-7 woods with Hogan CFT hybrids (3-5). I have hit the 4 wood off the tee and the fairway and it is by far the straighest and easiest club I have ever owned. Distance wise if I need a lot I just let it fly and if I need less distance I just choke on it and away I go. For me having too many woods was a detriment and by going with only driver and 1 fairway wood allowed me to more flexibility as what I want for irons in my bag.
    It works great for me but might not work for you, just taught that I would let you see a different option.
    Thanks
    Claude

"Richard"
    Hmmm, thanks for all your help everyone. My 3 wood now is only 15* so I'm thinking of getting 13, 17, 21 and if I cant him the 13 I'll just go to the 17.

Thanks again for all the help

I love these new RPM fairway woods

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    just from a purely practicle point of view then. Does it make sense to switch? i can hit all of the clubs well enough and next year I hope to be hitting them even better. i do slice and top a few times but its getting better
    If you slice stay away from the 13*.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Just curious?
    Andre,what does loft have to do with a slice?
    I'snt a slice caused by a fault in the swingpath?
    I'm asking because all my woods slice
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    Just curious?
    Andre,what does loft have to do with a slice?
    I'snt a slice caused by a fault in the swingpath?
    I'm asking because all my woods slice
    Brian. Your 15 degree 3 wood does not slice 1/2 as much as your driver. Your 5 wood hardly fades and your 7 wood goes straight. You may still pull or push it but you won't slice it. Your 3 iron fades but your 9 does not. It is all about loft. The stronger the loft the more sidespin. The weaker the loft the more backspin therefore less sidespin. Try a 14* oversize driver and you'll never go back. Furthermore your 3 wood goes just about as far as your driver except the 3 wood shot finds the fairway more often than not. Am I wrong in my assesment?

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Your right about my 3-wood,but not very often.

My 5 is a 16.5 which never slices.I think my problem is an open clubface at
    impact.
    Funny thing is at the range,my driver hardly ever slices!
    Could it be an aiming issue? or ball placement issue?
    10/18 holes on the course,i slice,not a push slice,just a long 200 yard slice.
    Getting back to thotho's question,you can see its personnal prefrence.
    I may turf the 15* 3-wood,keep my 16.5* and get a hybrid.Not sure yet.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    Your right about my 3-wood,but not very often.

My 5 is a 16.5 which never slices.I think my problem is an open clubface at
    impact.
    Funny thing is at the range,my driver hardly ever slices!
    Could it be an aiming issue? or ball placement issue?
    10/18 holes on the course,i slice,not a push slice,just a long 200 yard slice.
    Getting back to thotho's question,you can see its personnal prefrence.
    I may turf the 15* 3-wood,keep my 16.5* and get a hybrid.Not sure yet.
    It could be a tention issue. On the range there are no results, therefore your mind is at ease. With that comes you arms and what I consider that most important, your hands. Most of the time you are relaxed on the range and your grip pressure is nice and loose, which helps with your release. I have been working on bringing my range mind to the course and it is hard not to care where your ball ends up. But if you can get that mind set in your head, you will see a big difference.
    As Andre was saying, the more loft your club has the more backspin the ball will have. The back spin will counter act the sidespin and make it go straight. But if you can hit a driver straight on the range then you can hit it on the course if you can make the mental transformation!
    If you are worried about your alignment, then place a club on the ground towards your target but have it away from you. I place one behind me, inline with my ball. I setup and then take a look back to see if I am right. On the course I pick something infront and behind to line up on. Then take a look back then front to make sure I have it. This seems to work pretty good.
    Denny

I am no golf pro. However here is my take on ranges and courses. When practicing at the range you are warmed up and also pressure free. What happens often in my case is I am always in a rush to make it to the course and oftentimes do not have time to warm up properly. I would say I am pretty stiff on the first couple shots. Therefore the first drive is critical. If it's good then my confidence level goes up dramatically. If it sucks then I tighten up and stay tight for a couple holes. I wish they made courses with 19 holes. The first hole would be a warm up hole. Back to alignment. Some people line the club up to something 2 or 3 inches in front of the club and align the rest of the body to the club face.Boy I am drifting off topic.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Stick with what you have and are comfortable with. By changing the lofts you'll move outside your comfort zone. I had a 5 wood that I hit really well, off the tee, fairway, even out of the rough. It was my go to club. Unfortunately I snapped the shaft (note to self, make sure pull cart is well out of the way). "No bother", I thought, "i'll just use my 3 wood (that I rarely use), it's the same brand, i'll just swing it like my 5 wood and hey i'll get more distance".......wrong. Disaster, slicing it all over the place, destroyed my confidence and now I had no go-to club in times of trouble and my apprehension was affecting my swiung on other normally reliable clubs. I went out and replaced my 5 wood in a jiffy, and now my confidence (and my swing) is back.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    I am no golf pro. However here is my take on ranges and courses. When practicing at the range you are warmed up and also pressure free. What happens often in my case is I am always in a rush to make it to the course and oftentimes do not have time to warm up properly. I would say I am pretty stiff on the first couple shots. Therefore the first drive is critical. If it's good then my confidence level goes up dramatically. If it sucks then I tighten up and stay tight for a couple holes. I wish they made courses with 19 holes. The first hole would be a warm up hole. Back to alignment. Some people line the club up to something 2 or 3 inches in front of the club and align the rest of the body to the club face.Boy I am drifting off topic.
    The Canadian has a practice hole while youwait! Pretty cool idea.
    Denny

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    yes. it's a nice par 3 hole...
    but watch out for the stray balls from the range on the right

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I have found that a pretty bad slice or hook can appear as a power fade or draw on the range, because some ranges are like 150 yrds or more wide. I haven't found too many fairways that wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    I have found that a pretty bad slice or hook can appear as a power fade or draw on the range, because some ranges are like 150 yrds or more wide. I haven't found too many fairways that wide.
    Range balls usually don't fly as far therefore less affected by spin. I have seen one that started fading then started drawing.Where can I buy those balls?

Thread Information