CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Red face Crane and Sabbatini put on the clock

How about Sabbatini’s hissyfit on being put on the clock cause of Ben Crane?

What’s your take on that?
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Only problem is they BOTH get put on the clock because one guy thinks it's ok to take 4 minutes a shot. Not right but what else do you do?
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

I think the penalty system must be rethought. I think it’s ridicules that Sabbatini was put on the clock because of a very slow player that has that reputation.

Sabbatini was bashed for what he did but I applaud him. Most players don’t have the guts to do what he did. This is not a game to them. This is their way of living. If someone slows me down consistently at work, I would tell him without any hesitation.

Slow play is a major problem on tour and they should start penalising with stroke penalties. One stroke penalty for every 5 minutes off pace after a proper warning. That would speed them up.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    In a way I agree with mberube, however, Rory finished the hole only to just go to 18 and wait. The players on 18 were just leaving the tee when Crane arrived. He may have been slow earlier, but they caught up, were in position, and not on the clock on 17 when Rory went ahead.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    While Sabbatini has every right to be pissed at Crane for getting them put on the clock, what he did was way out of line.

What if Crane had hit his approach over the green and hit Sabbatini or his caddy?

How would he have liked it if there was somebody messing around on the green while he was setting up for his shot?

Etc, etc.

Yes, the slow play rule needs addressing. It's very easy to figure out who in a group is slow. It doesn't justify how Sabbatini acted.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    It may not be justified, but it may force the PGA Tour to look/change this "clock" rule. I think what Rory did was good.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    In a way I agree with mberube, however, Rory finished the hole only to just go to 18 and wait. The players on 18 were just leaving the tee when Crane arrived. He may have been slow earlier, but they caught up, were in position, and not on the clock on 17 when Rory went ahead.
    I agree with you Dan. I did not know that the players were just getting of the tee on 18. I thought they were just finishing off their putt on the green at least that’s what they showed on TV.

What’s funny is Rory was judged for going ahead but Crane was not for not speeding up. He still was taking his time on every shot.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I'm still trying to figure out how Sabbatini got to the BACK of the green before Crane had even setup for his second shot. Sabbatini must have already been close to where his tee ball ended up before Crane hit his tee shot to have gotten that far ahead.

I can see both sides of the story here. It must have been extremely frustrating for Sabbatini, who is apparently a quick player, to be playing with Crane. For Sabbatini to have been put on the clock must have been very annoying. I think what Sabbatini did definitely proved his point. On the other hand, it was terrible etiquette.

MJF

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar

Sabb

Rory Sabbatini is a notorious hothead/arrogant a**hole. I loved everyminute of him getting booed, and applaud the announcers for recognizing what he did as completely rude and out of line. I as well hate slow play but there are ways to do things without looking like an ignorant fool.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Sabbatini is a well-known hothead who has a bad reputation with the caddies, and has a very difficult time attracting one.

I personally don't believe for a second that this is an isolated incident with Sabbatini, nor that it's at all out of character. The man needs to grow up. Golfers with a shred of respectability or civility deal with these things in a much better manner. All he did was earn himself bad press and a fine. I doubt his tantrum is going to change Crane.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    It was terrible etiquette and rather childish, and by rushing the way he did (bogies 17th, 15th) he probably cost himself (in earnings) more than if he would have been fined anyway.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    From http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...6473&select2=2
    "As most everyone knows, Rory is a fast player and I am a slow player," said Crane of the situation. "The only reason we were on the clock was because of me. Is Rory out of line? No, not really because I'm the one that got us on the clock. It's really an unfortunate situation and I understand how he feels. I do feel bad we got put on the clock."

Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter
    That's what he was saying but I bet he was thinking, "yeah I was slow, but what the @##@$# was he doing marching ahead and making himself look like a total %$^%?"

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    It may indeed be wrong to do what he did. So no one say I agree with him.
    BUT do tell me this, IF Sabbatini was leading by a stroke and got put on the clock because of Crane and penalties assessed to both and that takes him out of the lead.............is that right? I think not.
    Maybe Crane will pick up the pace next time.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    I think the clock system needs to be rethought in terms of individuals. Someone like Daly or Sabatini would never get a clock. Still, at that point, his reaction was ridiculous, career or not. Slow play is the option of the player. If it wasn't, there would be a big giant red clock on every hole. Almost every game I've watched has people waiting on the tees, so it obviously isn't a fast game at the professional level.

Moving off subject just slightly. Has anyone ever seen the footage of Nick faldo when he was just beginning his career being interviewed after being fined (along with Seve) 50 pounds (110 dollars) for slow play?

He got so upset about it that he burst into tears!!!

They play the clip once in a while on British TV on shows that show embarrasing celebrity moments/out takes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    Moving off subject just slightly. Has anyone ever seen the footage of Nick faldo when he was just beginning his career being interviewed after being fined (along with Seve) 50 pounds (110 dollars) for slow play?

He got so upset about it that he burst into tears!!!

They play the clip once in a while on British TV on shows that show embarrasing celebrity moments/out takes etc.

I would love to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    I would love to see that.
    I wish I had a copy or a link for it. It was a classic TV moment, very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    I wish I had a copy or a link for it. It was a classic TV moment, very funny.
    110$ that’s a joke.

Stroke penalties have a lot more impact, money wise and impact on qualification for other tournaments.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Didn't see the incident, but after reading about it, I'd say Crane was totally to blame, and Sabbatini was perfectly justified in being upset. How to deal with it? Well, I'm not really sure I have an answer for that, but personally I would just fine this really slow guy, never mind being put on the clock. If Crane is known as "a notoriously slow player", then HE should be the only person penalized for it. I endorse Sabbatini's reaction 100%, keeping in mind that I didn't see it. I would have played ahead too...

Dan

PS - Oh, I really hate playing with super-slow people... That 6th practice swing isn't going to make you any better than the previous 5, so hurry up hack!
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    no press is bad press...

sure he looks like an asshole, and people are booing him, but he got what he wanted accomplished...we're all talking about something that nobody would have cared about if it had been handled differently...he did what he could to make the situation as public as possible...now people are talking, Crane's actions are being questioned.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    ...If Crane is known as "a notoriously slow player", then HE should be the only person penalized for it. ...
    I thought that the way it worked was that the pair were advised they were out of position. Then, each player was timed on each shot, and the penalty applied to a player if he took too much time to make his shot. Thus, Sabbatini did not need to walk ahead, just make sure that he was ready to shoot when it was his turn, and then only Crane would be penalized.

A 2-stroke penalty, right? Would that be 2 strokes for each shot played slowly while they were out of position?

Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter
    A 2-stroke penalty, right? Would that be 2 strokes for each shot played slowly while they were out of position?

1 stroke for every 5 minutes off pace. Check-up every two holes if you see that the player is gaining up, you stop panelizing until he slows down again.

Didn't see the incident, but after reading about it, I'd say Crane was totally to blame, and Sabbatini was perfectly justified in being upset.
    Sure Crane was totally to blame for the slow play, and I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but how does shooting out of turn improve the situation? They still wait on the next tee, the crowd boos you, its bad for the game of golf, and what is the rule for hitting out of turn? Could Crane call him on it and make him hit again?

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    Sure Crane was totally to blame for the slow play, and I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but how does shooting out of turn improve the situation? They still wait on the next tee, the crowd boos you, its bad for the game of golf, and what is the rule for hitting out of turn? Could Crane call him on it and make him hit again?
    It's bound to make Crane uncomfortable, and hopefully sends him a message that he's retardedly slow. You're out as a pairing, so it's a pretty strong statement if Sabbatini plays alone at his pace. It's a strong indictment of what it's like to play with someone that slow.

To me there is nothing worse than people who are extremely slow players. It really saps the fun from it for me... Obviously that plays a big role in my opinion, which is just that: an opinion. Can't really be right or wrong on this issue...

Dan

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Sob-a-tiny-bit acted like a brat. There is no way that he would get penalized for slow play once they were put on the clock unless he himself failed to execute his shot within the required time limits. If your playing partner is slow, suck it up and concentrate on your game. Once the round is completed, you can have a heart to heart with him. This hot head simply displayed his inability to deal with the situation maturely and professionally. He doesn't seem to realize that he's a member of the PGA tour. These guys are supposed to, and do, act with class. This is not a tour where fits of pique are expected or commonplace. My prediction is that he better get his cheque book ready, because the Tour will fine him a hefty sum.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    This is not a tour where fits of pique are expected or commonplace. My prediction is that he better get his cheque book ready, because the Tour will fine him a hefty sum.
    Tiger

Dan

Can't really be right or wrong on this issue...
    Well if there is a penalty for playing out of turn, you can be.

Well if there is a penalty for playing out of turn, you can be.
    Was talking more about the issue at hand, or at least the opinions about Sabbatini's actions... Obviously if there's a penalty, you're kind of "wrong", but not really. You're still making a statement about how crappy it is to play with someone as slow as Crane, and emphasizing it by your willingness to take a penalty.

Dan

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Under Rule 10-2 there is no penalty for playing out of turn in stroke play, unless the players agreed to do so to give one of them an advantage (in which case the penalty is disqualification). Crane could only make him hit again if it was match play.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Thread Information